First resume, citique please?

njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
So.. I am getting close to getting out of the navy (about 9 months now) so I started working on my resume. I’ve never written one before as I’ve never had the need. But this is what I uploaded to usajobs.gov. I’m not sure if this is a good resume, a bad one, horrible-omg-wtf-bbq, or just thin. Would appreciate any pointers so I can start to put this is a more civilian format.

Edit: updated resume.

Comments

• WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    I see lots of white space. Remove everything above Work Experience, such as desired work/locations, availability, etc. Use a template that's readily available, a quick search in Google and you'll get something like this Sample Help Desk Resume, Help Desk Resume Templates, Resume Layout. Work off that template, beef up your resume.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The first thing I would remove is the high school information, and the specific dates from your certification. On another note, you need to take advantage of your clearance and look for a job in that area. Since you have your Security+ already, that will greatly help, the clearance is enough on its own, but with the Security+, you should be golden. Include your security clearance on your resume.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am not sure if that format is good or not for USAJOBS. I will let our resident fed experts chime in on that. If you plan on using it for the private sector, it needs some changes. First, I would bump the certs to the top of the resume. You want to capture their attention right away. I would get rid of the availability, citizenship, veteran's preference, selective service stuff, desired work environment, desired locations. And please, increase the font size. As someone involved in hiring in the past, I've seen similar tiny font sizes being used. Those resumes go in the trash immediately.

Perhaps you may want to open with a Professional Summary or something to that effect that summarizes your experience, skills and credentials. You may also want to explain responsibilities as for some mere mortal like myself all those acronyms.

I know it may be overwhelming to some people coming up with a resume. Go out there and Google a few examples. Do your homework, rework your and then post it here so we can grill... I mean, evaluate it it icon_smile.gif
  • njktnjkt Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok... i changed it up a bit and tried to make it better, its 1 page now with a normal human sized font :P

be gentle icon_cool.gif
  • MusicITMusicIT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OK here is my $0.02 Put your clearance on your resume if you are looking for a GOV position especially if you have a TS or above Rethink how you want to list NTCSS and NIAPS. Did you work on NTCSS CY04 or Viking, so what I am saying is was it UNIX or LINUX. If you worked with Niaps you should know about share point/SQL server, Most employers will not know what NTCSS or Niaps is unless you put them in terms of what the operating system is.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    MusicIT wrote: »
    OK here is my $0.02 Put your clearance on your resume if you are looking for a GOV position especially if you have a TS or above Rethink how you want to list NTCSS and NIAPS. Did you work on NTCSS CY04 or Viking, so what I am saying is was it UNIX or LINUX. If you worked with Niaps you should know about share point/SQL server, Most employers will not know what NTCSS or Niaps is unless you put them in terms of what the operating system is.

Agree with this. You will want to try and translate that into civilian terms unless you are trying to get a job with the Navy. Also might want to list your level of clearance if you are applying for jobs that require one.

Overall I like it. It looks a lot like my first resume after the military and I didn't have any issues finding work.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    MusicIT wrote: »

dang i wrote that without really thinking about it haha. I was using the CY04 platform with HP-UX (yuk). will work on translating it :3

thanks. hope to get another one out monday.

One other question, when should i start sending my resume to companies? (june is the discharge date)
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since you are less then a year from your ETS, yup I would start applying now. Definitely list the clearance level (Secret, Top Secret, Top Secret with SCI) and I agree know your audience. If you are looking at non-government/defensive contractors, list the underlying technology used instead of military system names. I would apply to Lockheed, L3, etc as they will probably have contracts working with the systems you listed. Also, gear up to use the GI Bill to finish your degree as that combined with a clearance and certifications will make you a shoe in a basically any job you apply too. Even if a job doesn't require a clearance, I would still list it as it speaks volumes about your character (trustworthy and responsible are two key phrases that come to mind). Definitely on your way and like I said, I don't think you'll have any trouble finding a job, good luck! Based on the 5 year clearance, I figure you have a TS which is awesome.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Ok, I will definitely work on translating the military stuff more. Sorry this ones super basic: Should I include my discharge date in the email/fax or wait until i get contacted by the company?

Really appreciate all the help guys :D
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would put it on your resume until you are out. Gives employers a heads up that you are still in.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Roger that, I'll put it in my summary. Thanks again.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Def put that clearance info in there, that is your ticket!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    njkt wrote: »
    One other question, when should i start sending my resume to companies? (june is the discharge date)

I started sending mine out about 6-9 months out and every company I talked to would just say get back with us closer to when you can start. Not to discourage you, but most companies aren't going to hire you unless you can start within a month. Just keep that in mind. I got my first offer about a month and a half out I believe.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I started sending mine out about 6-9 months out and every company I talked to would just say get back with us closer to when you can start. Not to discourage you, but most companies aren't going to hire you unless you can start within a month. Just keep that in mind. I got my first offer about a month and a half out I believe.

This is what i was figuring. I just didnt want to wait too long and seem like im rushing to get my resume out to the world. I had planned on starting to submit to a couple places around my 6 month mark then really hit the pavement around the 3-2 month mark.

Appreciate all the help icon_cool.gif.