Options

Job Locations on Resume

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
Quick question. Do you guys even bother to put job location next to your job title?

A recruiter was putting together my application, and she emailed me back with questions that I already answered her in the emails and the phone interviews regarding my resume. I was really annoyed by her questions, because I already answered them several time before. This time she was being more verbose and replied back why she had to check with me again. She said the application I filled out is inconsistent with the resume I sent her. I listed my locations on the application, but not on my resume, and I was somewhat surprised by this. I wish she was clear about this in the first place rather than having me pissed off.

I can't believe I failed to realize that I need to add the locations to my resume after all these years! icon_rolleyes.gif What do you think, guys? Are they necessary or would you list them as requested?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I always put them in, because I always get asked at some point by either the recruiter or the person interviewing me. There isn't a reason not to put it on. It takes up very little room.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I have never put them on my resume, but then again, I always was asked in the interview now that I think about it.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I put in the city/state. Just a couple of characters and I think it gives interviewers that warm fuzzy feeling that these companies actually exist. Plus sometimes it serves as a great ice breaker because usually they have family or friends in the area.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I always put them in, because I always get asked at some point by either the recruiter or the person interviewing me. There isn't a reason not to put it on. It takes up very little room.

I don't see a reason why I shouldn't put it on my resume other than not having room, which probably was the reason why I didn't put it there before. I just revised my resume tonight with the locations added.

In the Employment section, this is what I had before I made the change.

Job Title: Company Name • Month Year - Month Year
    Ex:
    PC Hardware Technician: Big Company Inc. • January 2010 - March 2011

Now when I tried to add the location, I couldn't keep it in one line to make it looks neat, and it pushed the other thing I typed below to the next page. It looks nice but long.

Ex:
    PC Hardware Technician: Big Company Inc. • Somewhere, US • January 2010 - March 2011

So, I found a workaround. I decided to use the shorthand numerical format for the date, but don't know if it's appropriate. It does make my resume a tad bit ugly. So it turned out like this.

PC Hardware Technician: Big Company Inc. • Somewhere, US • 01/10 - 03/11

I guess this is better than nothing. If it wasn't for the long job title and the long company name on one line, I wouldn't have any problem. What ya think?
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I put in the city/state. Just a couple of characters and I think it gives interviewers that warm fuzzy feeling that these companies actually exist. Plus sometimes it serves as a great ice breaker because usually they have family or friends in the area.

Good point.I've experienced this personally. Definitely helps build rapport.