Apply to a terrible company but good job?

The career is my dream job. But the company is terrible. Colleagues don't say "Hi" or "Have a nice day" at work. Everything is micromanaged. No cafeteria or kitchen because risk of socializing. No holiday pay for the first year.

Should I submit my resume to a 1 star company?

My current company is already terrible but applying to an even worse company is scary...but i get to get my dream job but i know i wont stay long. what do you think? or should i hold off and apply to better companies?

I also looked on linkedin...everyone leaves after 4 months or 8 months.....

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I really don't see the point. Your dream job will be brought down in flames by that toxic environment. To me, a good part of my dream job is the corporate environment and culture. No cafeteria or kitchen because risk of socializing? Too far.

Life is too short to be miserable.
  • baseball1988baseball1988 Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to go from Technical Support Analyst to Software Quality Assurance Analyst. The company does have the opportunity and doesn't require much experience. I read 4 reviews and all 4 reviews are identical. Rating 1 of 5 star. Most companies require at least 3-5 years of QA experience which I don't have at the moment. I'll hold off for now and see if I can find other companies...
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Your dream job in that type of atmosphere could lead to you being disgruntled about the position, I would definitely try to find the same position somewhere else.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to find it elsewhere as I am still employed in my current job.
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Unlike everyone else, I'd say do it.

I currently work at one of these 1 star companies. I don't really mind that no one talks to me except when something breaks. I go home for lunch, so I don't mind not socializing. There is usually only 1 or 2 people in the lunch room anyway...watching tv or on their phones.

I love the work that I do. Building the knowledge that will help me move higher up the IT ladder. Turn around here is crazy fast considering there is only 50 employees. People that have been here less than a year make up 25% of the total employees. 2 years or less would make up 70%. The rest are 5-18 year employees.

Pay is only OK for the location, but it was the only job I could find at the time that was really what I wanted to do. (Higher level stuff than what you can do at Geek Squad). They really don't care about what is the current trend. Some people still have old Microsoft Ball mice. Last winter I finished upgrading the last 20 or so people to LCD monitors. The majority of people (besides IT and programming) are on Dell GX260's....1.8-2.6Ghz, 1GB ram, with 20-40GB hard drives! Windows 7? Forget that, most people just got upgraded to XP a couple years ago.

I'd say if they pay is better than where you are working now, go for it. It seems the majority of IT people don't stay in the same job for as long as i'd consider the norm anyway.
    Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not really into socializing but I do prefer to talk to team members about work-related things. I might as well send my resume in and see if they contact me. If they throw the offer on the table, I can always back out....
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's a dream position, I say go for it. No one says you have to stay put there for 5 years. Get in, get your experience, and leave for greener pastures. I did this with my last position. I knew the company was in an unstable industry (publishing) and the boss was a dick. However, I took the job since it would give me valuable experience in server administration, databases, and programming. I stayed there for a year and a half. I took the knowledge from there to get where I am now. I got a 20K increase in salary and I'm with a MUCH better company (better boss, benefits, company culture, industry, people, etc.). 6 months into this job and I still get up in the mornings excited to go to work.

Sometimes we have to suffer a little to get the reward at the end. Good luck.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    6 months into this job and I still get up in the mornings excited to go to work.

Man! That must be a great feeling.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    If you are sure that this is really the kind of experience you want, then go for it (and piss on everyone at work icon_lol.gif j/k) No really, if they're a-holes, then that's their problem not yours...I was in similar situations, and it sucked big time, but I tolerated and got to where I want. You can do it..
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Unlike everyone else, I'd say do it.

I currently work at one of these 1 star companies. I don't really mind that no one talks to me except when something breaks. I go home for lunch, so I don't mind not socializing. There is usually only 1 or 2 people in the lunch room anyway...watching tv or on their phones.

I love the work that I do. Building the knowledge that will help me move higher up the IT ladder. Turn around here is crazy fast considering there is only 50 employees. People that have been here less than a year make up 25% of the total employees. 2 years or less would make up 70%. The rest are 5-18 year employees.

Pay is only OK for the location, but it was the only job I could find at the time that was really what I wanted to do. (Higher level stuff than what you can do at Geek Squad). They really don't care about what is the current trend. Some people still have old Microsoft Ball mice. Last winter I finished upgrading the last 20 or so people to LCD monitors. The majority of people (besides IT and programming) are on Dell GX260's....1.8-2.6Ghz, 1GB ram, with 20-40GB hard drives! Windows 7? Forget that, most people just got upgraded to XP a couple years ago.

I'd say if they pay is better than where you are working now, go for it. It seems the majority of IT people don't stay in the same job for as long as i'd consider the norm anyway.

I want to drink beer with my coworkers at lunch.......is that asking too much?
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would prefer my colleagues not say hi to me. I hate small talk.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    If you are sure that this is really the kind of experience you want, then go for it (and piss on everyone at work icon_lol.gif j/k) No really, if they're a-holes, then that's their problem not yours...I was in similar situations, and it sucked big time, but I tolerated and got to where I want. You can do it..

Yes, this. Think of it as training for your next step. You're trading off being chummy with your co-workers for stepping into your dream role much more quickly. If the work itself is more than bearable, I don't think you'll be burnt out on the work. The company, maybe. But probably not the work.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If you're not already with a great company or unemployed, sure do it. I have a great job with a terrible company. My company is always in the news for doing stupid crap, is ranked in the top couple of worst companies in America, and everyone in the public hates my company, even it's own employees. But my job is cake and I make good money. I also work from home and can pretty much do whatever I want during the day as long as I get my work done. My job is in Infosec.

Anyways, I really want to leave because I hate my company, but I find it hard because I do have a good job. So for now at least, I'm just working on certs and finishing my BSBA. Next August I will have my Bachelors and the certs that I want so I will then look to leave for better and happier pastures.

Sometimes having a great job for a terrible company is not a bad thing.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If it's a dream position, I say go for it. No one says you have to stay put there for 5 years. Get in, get your experience, and leave for greener pastures. I did this with my last position. I knew the company was in an unstable industry (publishing) and the boss was a dick. However, I took the job since it would give me valuable experience in server administration, databases, and programming. I stayed there for a year and a half. I took the knowledge from there to get where I am now. I got a 20K increase in salary and I'm with a MUCH better company (better boss, benefits, company culture, industry, people, etc.). 6 months into this job and I still get up in the mornings excited to go to work.

Sometimes we have to suffer a little to get the reward at the end. Good luck.

Spot on. If it's an easy way in to getting the experience you want, then go for it. Try to stay for like 2 years and get some certs to match the experience and then leave for a higher paying and better position/company.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Has to be a bank :)

And might I add, man.. oh man.. I truly do hate that company.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The career is my dream job. But the company is terrible. Colleagues don't say "Hi" or "Have a nice day" at work. Everything is micromanaged. No cafeteria or kitchen because risk of socializing. No holiday pay for the first year.

Should I submit my resume to a 1 star company?

My current company is already terrible but applying to an even worse company is scary...but i get to get my dream job but i know i wont stay long. what do you think? or should i hold off and apply to better companies?

I also looked on linkedin...everyone leaves after 4 months or 8 months.....

Dont apply. If the culture at work is toxic it will affect your life in the long run, your morale, attitude and prospects. Avoid.