Options

Paths for an oldie

tmay70tmay70 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I found this site and looked it over. A lot of informed people, who can hopefully help me.

As the post says I am old, well just turned 40. I have always had an interest in computers. I have been an Inventory Manager for the past 20 years. I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting into the IT field. Wont hurt. I like the security aspect and the network aspect as well. I dont need to make a lot of money, just a good living.

I am considering two ways of doing this:

1. Getting all certifications I would need. CCNA, A+ etc. I am just not sure what path is the best. Itt, Devry, CISCO Academy, Techskills etc.

2. Going to get an associate degree. I am not a big fan of taking classes that dont pertain to what I am studying...math, english, I am the type that learns hands on and with the subject that interests me.

I am lost guys and gals. Jus trying to get my foot in the door........

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As to #1 ITT and Devry are quite expensive for what you get out of them. As most here will tell you hands on experience, however you can get it, is what counts most in IT. As far as the certs go, the A+ can help you get your foot in the door for some jobs while the CCNA packs a lot of punch for the bucks invested but is a more difficult exam.
    Associates are a good idea to get in IT as a lot of people on here got there start either while getting their Associates or soon after.
    One consideration you may want to take notice of though. You'll probably see an initial cut in pay when you enter IT so be prepared for that. Entry level jobs don't pay very well unless you possess a clearance.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tmay70 wrote: »
    Hello all, I found this site and looked it over. A lot of informed people, who can hopefully help me.

As the post says I am old, well just turned 40. I have always had an interest in computers. I have been an Inventory Manager for the past 20 years. I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting into the IT field. Wont hurt. I like the security aspect and the network aspect as well. I dont need to make a lot of money, just a good living.

I am considering two ways of doing this:

1. Getting all certifications I would need. CCNA, A+ etc. I am just not sure what path is the best. Itt, Devry, CISCO Academy, Techskills etc.

2. Going to get an associate degree. I am not a big fan of taking classes that dont pertain to what I am studying...math, english, I am the type that learns hands on and with the subject that interests me.

I am lost guys and gals. Jus trying to get my foot in the door........

I like what Ear wrote. Those schools are way to expensive for what you get out of them. I would stick to what you like. If you like Networking then Network + or CCENT/CCNA would be a great start. If you like Security, then Security + would be a good start.

Here are some links to free videos for Network + and Security +

A lot of people will mention A+, I don't care for it to be honest. It does have value, but if you already know what your are interested in I would focus on that.

You'll find A+, Network +, and Security + on this site.
    Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training

Good luck
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I would say jump right in with professor messer and some books. When the A+ didn't require renewal every 3 years I would have recommended that as your first cert. Now I would say that is still the place to start your studies but you don't necessarily need to take the exam. Many Universities and community colleges offer A.A.S. degrees that include Cisco Net academy courses. This is the ideal way to do the cisco academy.