Options

Resume and Experience/Certification advice needed!

Typhon66Typhon66 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
First a little background

I have been unemployed for quite some time. Since About August of last year when my job with the Census Bureau ended. I'll be posting a copy of my resume so that maybe i can get some help.

I got my AA degree a month ago and was hoping that it would help me find a job. It did not. Currently i am 21 years old, and on the personal side have a girl who i want to marry but not until i can get a job that isn't flipping burgers at mcdonalds, which i couldn't even get a job at even if i wanted to anyway.

The only thing i have ever been really skilled at is computers. Specifically computer repair. Whether it be, software, hardware, network. Everyone i know, when they have a computer problem they ALWAYS come to me. I have had teachers in high school who, instead of calling their IT guy, they would give me a few points extra credit to fix something for them. After some hard thought, i decided to stop listening to other people about how i should goto college and get a 4-year degree and do something in business or law or something and do what i want to do. And that is with computers.

In terms of professional experience with computer repair, i have none.
In terms of personal experience, i have over 10 years of experience. Something i submitted to an employer at one point with a list of my skills in computers is the following.

Computer Related Experience:
Extensive experience with computers for personal use.
Took a Computer Animation class in high school from August 2006 to June 2008
Took a Computer Aided Drafting and Design class in high school from August 2004 to June 2005
Took Computing classes in middle school, which included: use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and
Basic HTML from August 2003 to June 2004
Took a Photography class, in which computers were used on a daily basis and heavy use of programs such as Photoshop were required from August 2007 to June 2008
Self-Taught more advanced HTML after the class in middle school in 2004.
Self-Taught basic C++ computer programming language in 2005.
Self-Taught Basic programming language in 2005.
Made several websites for personal and school use which no longer exist at various times from 2005 to 2007.
Set up and installed numerous computers
Set up and installed numerous home and business networks.
On a near daily basis for over 10 years, troubleshoot computer problems using the internet and books as a reference.
Heavy usage of a computer almost every day.

Here is the thing, i am really desperate for a job, for the past 6 months i have been looking for a job where i can even clean up peoples **** that they threw on the ceiling in a public toilet. I desperately want to move out of my parents house and be on my own, maybe even marry my girl. Just start my life. But with this economy i have been unable to find a job for almost a year now.

So basically, here i am asking you guys 3 questions.

Where can i go to find employers that are looking for computer repair and IT guys?

What job do i currently have the qualifications for that i could apply and perhaps get so that i can get my foot in the door?

If i don't have the qualifications, what can i do to get them? (If they want experience, how do i get experience if i have none?!)

I'm really at the end of my ropes i don't know how much longer i can take it really. So please, help me.

Here is a copy of my resume. Any place where there are ******'s i edited out my more personal information (address etc.)

******MY NAME******

**ADDRESS**, Victorville, CA 92392

***PHONE***[removed email]
Looking to secure a position with a well-established organization with a stable environment that will lead to a long lasting relationship and opportunities for the future

Abilities

v Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an eye for detail.
v Extensive experience, over six years, with computers, networking, and programming.
v Superb knowledge of most computer software.
v Excellent customer service.
v Extremely productive in a high volume, high stress environment.
v Excellent comprehension and retention.
Employment History

U.S. CENSUS BUREAU, Victorville, CA ……………………………………………………... 2010
Enumerator
Planned work by reviewing assignment area to locate households for conducting interviews. Conducted interviews with residents in assigned areas by following strict guidelines and confidentiality laws. Compiled, with accuracy, standards while maintaining high production rates. Maintained records of hours worked, units produced, miles driven, and expenses incurred in the performance of duties.
WINCO FOODS, Victorville, CA ……………………………………………………… 2008 – 2009
Freight
Responsible for shipping and receiving in a high speed environment. Stocked shelves at a high speed while maintaining quality standards. Customer service was a number one priority. Janitorial duties were occasionally needed.
GOOD GUYS GARDENING, Victorville, CA ………………………………………… 2004 - 2007
Maintenance
Responsible for maintaining gardens and lawns. Talked with customers face to face on a daily basis. Responsible for a number of job sites. Supervision of crews was often required. Also responsible for attracting new customers.
Education

**Local CC** COLLEGE, Victorville, CA
Graduate – Associates Degree in Mathematics, 2011
******* HIGH SCHOOL, Victorville, CA
Graduate, 2008
References

Available Upon Request

This is submitted along with my "qualifications and computer skills i posted before"

I appreciate the help you guys can offer me i was referred here by someone who said you guys could help. Who knows, maybe someone here could help me start my life.

Thanks in advanced

-Typhon66

Comments

• Options
    jts1234jts1234 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Typhon66,

I'm by no means an expert at this, but have you considered trying a skills-based resume? What you have now, while showing a good chronology of work experience, doesn't really highlight your technical skills--and that, so far as I can tell, is what employers are going to be looking for.

Many times, employers use keywords to search out candidates with specific skills, and a skills-based resume (there are some excellent examples out on google) might do the trick.

I have two interviews today myself... assuming that my horrible stomach ache goes away in an hour... so I know where you're coming from a little bit. Best of luck to you,

Tom
  • Options
    Typhon66Typhon66 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to be honest, i am not quite sure what you mean, i think that wouldn't be a bad idea, could you show me an example?

EDIT: Did a little research on my own, figured it out, good idea, i think it would work a lot better.