Soon to begin CCIE

gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello TE board,

I will begin my CCIE studies beginning 2012 I am currently collecting equipment list:
3x1841 1x2801 1x2621xm 1x2620(framerelay switch) 1x2509 (Access Server) 2x3550 x2950(not for ccielab)

Ordering 2x3560's and 2x2801's 3x1841
what more will i need for live equipment? i will not use the 2950.

Also on books i'm currently have.
TCP/IP Volume 1 by Steven Roberts
TCP/IP Volume 1 CCIE Jeff Doyle
TCP/IP Volume 2 CCIE Jeff Doyle
MPLS Fundamentals

What other book materials do you guys recommend me obtaining. I need more books :D the more the better!

Comments

• jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hello TE board,

I will begin my CCIE studies beginning 2012 I am currently collecting equipment list:
    3x1841 1x2801 1x2621xm 1x2620(framerelay switch) 1x2509 (Access Server) 2x3550 x2950(not for ccielab)

MPLS Fundamentals

What other book materials do you guys recommend me obtaining. I need more books :D the more the better!

Good luck man! LAN Switching by Ken Clark, Internet Architectures, MPLS Fundamentals, and anything that ine.com recommendes reading.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello TE board,

MPLS Fundamentals

Materials are not the issue with CCIE. It's bandwidth to study. You are looking at 100 - 200 hours to clear the written and 500 -1500 hours to clear the lab unless you buy the braindump. That's the big equation. Spend what you want on gear and workbooks but unless you can put in those hours you are hosed.

Assuming you can, welcome to the clan and good luck! Always nice to find new candidates. Put a study thread counter up!
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Materials are not the issue with CCIE. It's bandwidth to study. You are looking at 100 - 200 hours to clear the written and 500 -1500 hours to clear the lab unless you buy the braindump. That's the big equation. Spend what you want on gear and workbooks but unless you can put in those hours you are hosed.

Assuming you can, welcome to the clan and good luck! Always nice to find new candidates. Put a study thread counter up!

Well it's one of my ONE GOAL in life to get CCIE certified. I plan to study fulltime my CCIE only reason why i havent started yet is because I'm finishing up my Voice and CCDA by the end of the year. I'm oddly too interested in Cisco :D. but yes i know what i'm in for it will be brutal :) but i'm a pull through.
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168

The CCIE lab can be passed using a brain ****? I guess I always assumed it was the one certification that couldn't be relegated to "paper cert" status.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

They can **** all they want. Dumping will just make them look stupid in an interview.
    Also, they'll be sweating when they bumped into a complicated network problem and they cant solve it.
  • rakemrakem Member Posts: 800
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    The CCIE lab can be passed using a brain ****? I guess I always assumed it was the one certification that couldn't be relegated to "paper cert" status.

I have worked with a few. Gives the whole industry a bad name. You can tell pretty quickly when someone out of their depth.

I worked with a CCIE who didn't understand why a switchport configured with BPDU Guard went into error disabled when he connected another switch to it.

I have also worked with guys with zero Cisco certs who are absolutely at the top of the game. It really all comes back to experience - which you should have loads of if you manage to pass the lab properly. Hell, even if you fail the lab and have studied hard you will be better for it.

Anyway good luck man!
    CCIE# 38186
    showroute.net
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just learned a few days ago that they have **** for the labs. It surprised me. There's supposedly companies that specialize in it. I saw a bunch of people up in arms over the fact Cisco just recently revised the lab. OMG, sorry you took shortcuts on a test that is held with such prestige and guarantees a decent salary afterward.

Your equipment looks on point. The only books I'd recommend are the Vol 4 of the Certification guide (probably the first thing you should read), possibly CCNP Fundamentals (as they go into more detail than the CCIE cert guide), the LAN Switching book and possibly the BGP configs, OSPF configs, MPLS.

It just depends. INE and Narbik come recommended as Labs to complete.
    Well it's one of my ONE GOAL in life to get CCIE certified. I plan to study fulltime my CCIE only reason why i havent started yet is because I'm finishing up my Voice and CCDA by the end of the year. I'm oddly too interested in Cisco :D. but yes i know what i'm in for it will be brutal :) but i'm a pull through.

Happy New Year. How are your studies going?
    Any update on CCIE progress gregorio323?