Options

Confused on what course to take to have an IT career

ghienzy09ghienzy09 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, here's my situation. I have a degree in computer engineering last 2007 and I haven't use my degree ever since except for ocassional colleagues' queries icon_sad.gif I am currently working as office admin. I kinda felt I wasted my 5 year-degree but I'm still keen on IT and really wanting to land an IT job. I tried applying for few desktop or tech support role but it seems like nobody is interested. Now, Iam thinking of maybe going back to get a higher diploma but I know it cost us a lot. I am a family woman so the finance is a bit an issue. My next plan is to take probably courses like MCTIP or CCNA and probably VMWare since they are cheaper that doing the Higher diploma. I'm so confused which one will I go to start. I have a month networking experience when I had a practicum in college and take up studied CCNA but it was years ago (May 2006) and I don't have cert. I was thinking of MCITP because it might be helpful in VMware since cloud computing is booming but I'm also interested in networking. I checked jobs for CCNA but they always needs 1,2 or 3 experience which I don't have. Which of the two courses I can go with to land IT job easily even just helpdesk and do my way up?Can I do self study one and maybe do the other one in classroom? If so, which one should I take in home study and which one should I do at classroom. I really appreciate all your advice :)

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    ghienzy09 wrote: »
    Hi guys, here's my situation. I have a degree in computer engineering last 2007 and I haven't use my degree ever since except for ocassional colleagues' queries icon_sad.gif I am currently working as office admin. I kinda felt I wasted my 5 year-degree but I'm still keen on IT and really wanting to land an IT job. I tried applying for few desktop or tech support role but it seems like nobody is interested. Now, Iam thinking of maybe going back to get a higher diploma but I know it cost us a lot. I am a family woman so the finance is a bit an issue. My next plan is to take probably courses like MCTIP or CCNA and probably VMWare since they are cheaper that doing the Higher diploma. I'm so confused which one will I go to start. I have a month networking experience when I had a practicum in college and take up studied CCNA but it was years ago (May 2006) and I don't have cert. I was thinking of MCITP because it might be helpful in VMware since cloud computing is booming but I'm also interested in networking. I checked jobs for CCNA but they always needs 1,2 or 3 experience which I don't have. Which of the two courses I can go with to land IT job easily even just helpdesk and do my way up?Can I do self study one and maybe do the other one in classroom? If so, which one should I take in home study and which one should I do at classroom. I really appreciate all your advice :)

Welcome to the TE forum! Glad to have you.

I think you should get some certs, maybe some CompTIA, if you think you can handle MCITP then by all means go for it.

I would self study unless you are having a hard time when you take some practice test, I think most of the people here self study.

For some experience maybe you can volunteer for your company or some non profit locally, and put it on your resume?

keep posting and posting for entry positions, eventually you will get the call, don't worry!
  • Options
    ghienzy09ghienzy09 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tnx a mil Devilry. Do you think it's possible if I can self study MCITP then take CCNA in classroom? Or is it too heavy to squueze on my brain? I can't really volunteer in our company as our company paid IT company to maintain our system and servers. Sometimes I think to work in a company even without pay just to have experience but I can't because we need income. I'm kinda interested in VMWare as well. Which one do you think will work well with VMware? CCNA or MCITP?