Options

Call from an HR

Is it okay for HR to call and tell me that they couldn't pay me what i'm asking for before the interview? He said that they didn't want to pay the full amount am asking for because there won't be room for me to grow/ get raises every year and guys that it won't be fair for there current employee doing the same job.

What do you guys think? I already schedule the interview for next week. I think they are trying to low ball me. I'm always getting low balled.. Why?

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think they are just being up front and don't want to waste both theirs and yours time.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds like they are just being straightforward and don't want to waste anyone's time. They are telling you what they have and it is up to you if you want to go forward or not. They could've easily eliminated you based on your salary requirements. I completely see where they are coming from. For the sake of simplicity let's say they have 3 technicians right now @ $45k each. If you ask for $55k that wouldn't make any sense and would seem unfair to them as you will be performing the same job as the other tech that have been there for a while. They may be able to hire you at $48k now and down the road give you a 4% raise which will bring you close to $50k. The other techs may get a 10% raise so they can bring everyone to the same $50k.

If you are not willing to negotiate your salary requirements, then you will have to look elsewhere.

One last thing, don't forget to see the big picture and factor in medical insurance, vacation, tuition reimbursement, etc. It's not always about the salary.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Only you can make that call man. Are you taking a pay cut to take the job? Would you still be getting a raise, just not as much? You can best decide what's best for you.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Also factor in experience, I am getting paid $13 an hour and I am brand new to IT. Everyone else is getting paid $15+
  • Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Sounds like they are just being straightforward and don't want to waste anyone's time. They are telling you what they have and it is up to you if you want to go forward or not. They could've easily eliminated you based on your salary requirements. I completely see where they are coming from. For the sake of simplicity let's say they have 3 technicians right now @ $45k each. If you ask for $55k that wouldn't make any sense and would seem unfair to them as you will be performing the same job as the other tech that have been there for a while. They may be able to hire you at $48k now and down the road give you a 4% raise which will bring you close to $50k. The other techs may get a 10% raise so they can bring everyone to the same $50k.

If you are not willing to negotiate your salary requirements, then you will have to look elsewhere.

One last thing, don't forget to see the big picture and factor in medical insurance, vacation, tuition reimbursement, etc. It's not always about the salary.

I'm not taking a pay cut. Right now, I make $42000 and I have over 6+ years of IT experience including Desktop support, Help Desk, Server Support - WSUS, server 2008 R2, DHCP, DNS. I am currently working with one of the state university right now and this job is with the state. i really don't know what the benefit is.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Just like the people said before, it sounds like they are just being upfront.

Are you asking for an amount you already make?

Or is what they are offering lower than what you make? If so, sounds like a no brainer.
  • Options
    Its more than i make right now. Well, i'll go for the interview.
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I am sure there is some information on the benefits out there for State. Usually it is a blanket that covers all state employees. Not knowing the state I couldn't look. Gov jobs usually have decent "perks".
    Just something I found with a broad overview.
    Government Job Benefits
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    KrisA wrote: »
    I am sure there is some information on the benefits out there for State. Usually it is a blanket that covers all state employees. Not knowing the state I couldn't look. Gov jobs usually have decent "perks".
    Just something I found with a broad overview.
    Government Job Benefits

The State of Ohio