Options

Gaining Full Contol by moving?

The XP Training Kit says that when you move a folder on the same volume, the permissions do not change and that you become the creator owner.

If you become a creator owner, don't you have Full Control?
The way they explain it, it sounds like by moving your folder,
you can give yourself Full Control.

I hope this isn't confusing. Let me know if it is.
Basically, I want to make sure that someone with Modify perms to a folder
don't get Full Control by moving it and getting the Creator Owner permission.

Here is what I read:
========================================
When you move a file or folder between NTFS volumes, note the following:

The file or folder inherits the permissions of the destination folder.

You must have the Write permission for the destination folder to move files and folders into it.

You must have the Modify permission for the source file or folder. The Modify permission is required to move a file or folder because Windows XP Professional deletes the file or folder from the source folder after it is copied to the destination folder.

You become the creator and owner.
==============================================

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Sounds correct. However, if you don't have Modify permission, you can't move the folder to start.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I always had a hard time understading alot of what the book was trying to say about permissions. The best way is try it yourself & see for yourself. That honestly works the best.
  • Options
    w^rl0rdw^rl0rd Member Posts: 329
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Sounds correct. However, if you don't have Modify permission, you can't move the folder to start.

If this is the case, then why not just give a user Full Control?
    I would like to be able to give my users Modify permissions
    without allowing them to simply move a folder and then be
    able to take ownership, give himself full control, and start
    changing permissions.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I am pretty sure that you can set the special permissions to not allow certain modify options such as the ability to move the folder.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The XP Training Kit says that when you move a folder on the same volume, the permissions do not change and that you become the creator owner.
    That is not what it says in the part you quoted yourself:
    When you move a file or folder between NTFS volumes,
    If a user moves a folder from one volume to another, 'between volumes', permissions get lost and the user who moves(reads at sources, writes at target, deletes at source) it becomes the creator.

Denying the advanced permissions Delete on the folder will prevent the former as the source cannot be deleted.

As long as the user has at least read permissions on the source folder and 'a' target location with write permissions, he or she can copy the contents of the folder and gain full permission that way, hence assign permissions other than on the original folder. It won't be the same folder though, the permissions on the original folder are either gone (cause it has been moved, hence delete) or unchanged. So it's not like you suggest that someone can gain full control permissions for a folder that way, only on a copy of the original.
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    Give full control on the share and lockdown NTFS permissions on folders/files within the share..in that way you cant go wrong except for DENY
    What next?