CCNA Info

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
How many folks in here pursued their CCNA successfully and never had any experience? And how long did you study for prior to taking the exams?
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience in cisco systems or IT experience? I had very little experience on cisco systems ahead of time, just what they teach you in AIT for the Army and it really wasn't alot. However, I studied for 3 weeks for the CCENT and 2 1/2 weeks for the ICND2/CCNA. Passed both successfully.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im a parachute Rigger for the navy, I have 0 IT experience. Im learning for more quickly than expected, just wanted to gauge how others faired in similar situations.

Ah, well I'm Airborne - appreciate the chutes being packed.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You go through benning or bragg?

In Iraq right now, but I'm stationed at Bragg.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    0.1% networking experience prior to completing CCNA. Studied for 6ish months for ICND1. Studied for 7 months for ICND2. Landed a network gig 1 week before sitting for ICND2. Got the job based on who I knew, not experience or knowledge. Still sitting in that roll today and have learned a TON!!
  • Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The first CCNA I achieved was while being a student in college and a part of the Cisco Networking Academy. Back then, I had 0 hands on experience with Cisco equipment. Of course being a part of the Cisco Networking Academy, you did have access to the lab. The lab was my first way of touching physical hardware. So I guess I had 0 hands on experience "on the job" with Cisco equipment, but hands on experience in the lab :)

I'm not sure if that helps answer your question, but it is totally possible to self study and pass the CCNA with 0 hands on experience with Cisco equipment. It is recommended that you get some sort of simulator at the very least, such as Packet Tracer, GNS3, or a number of other manufacturers like Boson NetSim to follow along with your book studies. My personal experience is with Packet Tracer and GNS3, I like them and would recommend them to you.

Of course, ideally you want to get yourself a little lab going, but not everyone can do that. You can search the FAQ at the top of this forum for a lot of recommendations on what sort of lab hardware you need or what sim software is best.

HTH
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had 0 experience with networking outside of the classroom when I started on Cisco. After taking the CCNA Exploration classes and about a week to review, I passed the 640-802 on my first try. I went through the 4 classes over 2 college semesters (so roughly 6 months). But if i would have self studied, it wouldn't have taken me even half of that amount of time.