Resume Help

descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
I believe I need a drastic critique of my resume as I can't even get it to one page (which if I'm not mistaken should normally be just one page). Also, I'm quite sure my "Objective" section needs to change to something else entirely, but was wondering if anyone had ideas on what type of statement I should be putting there? Thanks in advance for any critiques/suggestions. test resume.doc

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Thumbs up on that fake name. Love it. I worked with a guy who should've made that his legal name.

On to the good stuff now.
    - I dislike the"bullet fest™". I would go instead with a paragraph summarizing duties and then use a few bullets to present key accomplishments for the position that brought value to the company.
    - Education and certs should be at the top
    - Remove "references available upon request"
    - Spelling: CompTIA (capitalize TIA)
    - I would get rid of Objective and replace it with a Professional Summary or similar
    - More detail. Example: "Assisted county employees with various technology needs". that is way too generic and doesn't showcase your experience or skill set. Mention key technologies or processes. Same thing with the SQL. Explain how your script solved problems or improved processes.

Don't forget that is is imperative to customize the resume to the position you are applying for.
  • descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the critique cyberguypr. I uploaded version 2 if you could take a gander at it. I'm having trouble with the bullets still, not quite sure if it's much better than before. Does this look any better? Thanks in advance. test resume.doc
  • derek10rr3derek10rr3 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would recommend using Bold for the Certifications part of your resume and having it as almost its own section apart from Education.

What I mean is under Education after your Degree part, leave a space and do a bold heading for the certifications alone. This will make them stand out more as they are important.

Just my thoughts.
  • descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    derek10rr3 wrote: »
    I would recommend using Bold for the Certifications part of your resume and having it as almost its own section apart from Education.

What I mean is under Education after your Degree part, leave a space and do a bold heading for the certifications alone. This will make them stand out more as they are important.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for looking it over, so like this?

test resume 4.doc
  • jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks clean, easy to read which is the most important thing. In a 10 second scan here is what I would change;
    • Remove References section
    • Rearrange info to remove excess white space.
    • If you're still over a page decrease the top/bottom margin sizes, decrease font size for name.