Options

Windows Server 2003?

rphannrphann Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone know if it’s true when 20 users logon to WinXP Pro (considering it's connected to Windows Server 2003) under the same user account on multiple machines; will this cause their account to lock up or take the computers off the network?

Comments

• Options
    netcom2000netcom2000 Member Posts: 117
    If you log on to the XP machine and your server is set up as a Domain controller, then if you attempt to log on to another XP pro computer, you will be told that a user withat name and password are currentley logged on, so if you logged out, of that computer, you could use any of the others so long as you only log onto one machine at a time, sometimes in large corporations, users that have access to many departments will forget to log out and then attempt to log on at another workstation, thus the administrator has to find the user and then disconnect them before they log onto another PC. icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif
    Future planned exams are as follows: CCNA, Windows 2003 Server 70-290

"Like the Roman, I see the Tiber foaming with so much blood"

Enoch Powell 1968

"We died in hell, they called it Passchendaele"
  • Options
    That’s not necessarily true because I was able to login to multiple machines on Windows 2000 Advanced Server (domain controller) with the same user account (80 accounts to be exact) on multiple machines without getting any message. So I'm not sure why Windows Server 2003 is different?
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I don't believe that's true - otherwise you couldn't create domain service accounts, etc (e.g. we have a domain user account used for installing Anti Virus updates, etc).

And MS changed the way roaming profiles work with Windows XP so that you could logon to more than one PC at a time (changes to roaming profiles now merge instead of overwriting each other).
  • Options
    Let me answer my own question. The answer is NO. You shouldn’t have any problem logging on to the domain using one user account on multiple machines. The reason why the computers took itself off the network because the name I have setup for the netbios was different from the client computers. To fix this problem I uninstalled and reinstall Active Directory Users and Computers and put in the correct name. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wasn't logged on to 20 machines, but I was logged onto 4 XP Pro machines into a 2003 server domain last thursday, no problems.