Options

Question about job title listings?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
My situation is probably not so different from a lot of others.

At my current position I am a service manager lead. That's my official title; however I sometimes call myself a senior technical team lead. Anyway that's where I am at now. I will have 9 months of experience under that title in my company. Well that is about to change for the better I hope, fingers crossed! My title is up in the air as of now, it's either going to be business process manager or project manager. I am being transitioned into a new role mid month.

Well my question is how would you list your job experience on your resume? Listed below are some of the ways I have seen this handled and I was wondering what method you use or would use if put in this situation?
  • List your years of service and mention ending title is XYZ Manager
  • Break apart your experience and list the same company with each title
  • List your months years consecutively while listing all your job titles
Those are the only 3 I can think of at the moment. I know from an HR perspective they will ask how long the employee worked there and what was his ending title. Sometimes HR will reply sometimes they won't. Most HR associates will not name all the job titles the employee had. (I was in HR for 4 years and dated some girls from HR including an HR manager so I have some real world insight on this).

Anyway I want to keep my resume honest yet clean. I don't feel listing every job I worked for that company is beneficial to my career. I am thinking about just swapping out my title and continuing on with my years of services.

I know several people who have done this including my mother and best friend. She was a DBA for 10+ years and then a COBOL programmer and now she programs in some IBM language called REXX. Her title is senior programmer lead. She list that and only that not all the other titles she had in the past. My friend did the same thing. He was at a fortune 500 company for 14 years. 5 as a software package wrapper for SMS, 3 years as a Java developers and the rest as a PM. He list Project Manager 14 years, not developer. He makes note he has those skills, but as far as job title goes he doesn't.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Personally I only post the title I currently/last had at the employer.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilry wrote: »
    Personally I only post the title I currently/last had at the employer.

This is what I am thinking about going with to be honest. It seems more harmful to list multiple positions, you start to look like a JOAT. I think I am going to have to pass on that.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Although, this may be one of the geekiest replies you ever read, I think you should supernet all your positions you have into one title that all of them have in common. I think you had the right idea. You should go with Project Manager, which partially described all jobs you have anyway.