Options

Solutions Analyst/Professional Services

MrSheenMrSheen Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I'm looking for some advice and guidance please

I've been working as a photocopier network installation/I.T.technical support person for a large photocopier company (technically they're called multi-function devices these days) for six years now.

The job has given me good exposure to networking, operating systems, scanning, document imaging and print driver architecture. But I feel that I need to progress further on in the company, and do something a little different. I want to be more involved with software solutions side of things, like document management systems, cost recovery solutions and document imaging solutions. The role would involve scoping out requirements, technical advice and implementation of the solution. Some of these solutions would be viewed on a MFD's touch screen and communicate back to a server where the solution is installed.

I've just finished the first certification on my pathway to career progression. Which was the CompTIA Network+. I am now about to start the CompTIA CDIA+ (Certified Document Imaging Architect) certification. From there I'll do SQL, MCITP server, VMWare and Java certs.

Now considering an implementation solutions analyst/professional services role wouldn't need an extremely high knowledge of networking (well at least in the industry I'm in), is the CompTIA Network+ certification good enough? I was going to do the CCNA, but didn't see the point in learning the Cisco IOS and hardware, as I know I'll never be a network analyst working directly with routers and switches, so it seemed like a waste.

Anyway thanks for reading, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Sounds like you're on the right path. Yes CCNA would be overkill for the direction you're heading.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MrSheen wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for some advice and guidance please

I've been working as a photocopier network installation/I.T.technical support person for a large photocopier company (technically they're called multi-function devices these days) for six years now.

The job has given me good exposure to networking, operating systems, scanning, document imaging and print driver architecture. But I feel that I need to progress further on in the company, and do something a little different. I want to be more involved with software solutions side of things, like document management systems, cost recovery solutions and document imaging solutions. The role would involve scoping out requirements, technical advice and implementation of the solution. Some of these solutions would be viewed on a MFD's touch screen and communicate back to a server where the solution is installed.

I've just finished the first certification on my pathway to career progression. Which was the CompTIA Network+. I am now about to start the CompTIA CDIA+ (Certified Document Imaging Architect) certification. From there I'll do SQL, MCITP server, VMWare and Java certs.

Now considering an implementation solutions analyst/professional services role wouldn't need an extremely high knowledge of networking (well at least in the industry I'm in), is the CompTIA Network+ certification good enough? I was going to do the CCNA, but didn't see the point in learning the Cisco IOS and hardware, as I know I'll never be a network analyst working directly with routers and switches, so it seemed like a waste.

Anyway thanks for reading, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I always like to take one step at a time, even though I have a tendency of not following my own advice. (I have been a lot better though)

I like the idea of doing the CDIA+ it really goes with what you do. I would focus on that and move forward.

I agree with Everyone at this time the CCNA seems a bit much.