Options

BU or PSU for Masters in Information Assurance?

PbutterPbutter Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am considering BU's MS CIS concentration in Security and PSU's MPS Homeland Security-Info Sec & Forensics option. Can anyone offer personal experiences with either one of these programs?

Boston University Online Graduate Degree Courses: Online Master Degree of Science in Computer Information Systems Concentration in Security at Boston University.

Penn State | Online Master in Homeland Security | Information Security and Forensics | Overview

About me:
-Undergrad degree in biology/environmental science from state school
-Masters degree in org management from University of Phoenix (employer paid, long time ago when this school did not have such negative stimga attached, would do things different in the future)
-Started MBA at top tier school (employer paid), did not see much value in courses since they paralleled first MA.
-5+ yrs health care finance, 2+ yrs in r&d, 6+ yrs in IT; fortune 500, 2nd level helpdesk, quality analyst (key performance indicator crap) and departmental statistician w/ heavy database management development and maintenance.
-Certs include MCP, Network+
* I am a rare mix of business and technical acumen. I prefer to work in technical environments with the option of moving into management at some point in career. I am in my mid thirties.

My goals:
-Attend the school with the most return on my investment, i.e. name recognition, strong alumni network
-Focus on security specific cert (CISSP) while working on grad degree or upon completion
-Leaning toward technical degree to compliment strong business skill set (plus I enjoy this type of work)

Any suggestions/opinions appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    While I don't know anything about either specific program, both institutions' online schools are highly rated. PSU World Campus has been around a bit longer and, in the one review I saw comparing both of them in general put PSU slightly ahead. I'm guessing either one would serve you quite well. Usually, you can e-mail program directors to ask them specific questions to figure out how well they'll meet your needs.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Make sure you look at Utica College's degree program. I got off the phone with an adviser after 45 minutes of hounding him with questions. I was impressed and price isn't bad either.

Cybersecurity Master’s Degree Online | Cybersecurity Education and Training | Utica College Online
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was planning on continuing at WGU for my Masters but I may have an additional year of education benefits to use and that certificate program at PSU just caught my eye. Do you think it would be worth it to get a post-bachelors certificate from PSU after finishing a masters at WGU just for a more recognizable school added to the resume?
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I take issue with the PSU degree on several fronts. First, calling it Homeland Security could make employers think it was more government geared then private business. Not being in the program, I couldn't give a whole lot of background, but it would make sense given the degree and concentrations that they are gearing it towards those in government service or wanting to get into government service. Second, forensics in an online environment is a waste of time in my opinion. For my BS we had a forensics course, but it was online so it was all theory based. If your going to have a background in forensics, you'll want hands on experience. One program that I have looked at, was the information science Masters at PSU.

Penn State | Online Master in Information Sciences | Overview

Seems to cover the security front very well and gives you a certificate in information systems security along the way. I like the program due to it's focus on information analysis and decision support. You would definitely want to be able to analyze an attack so you can mitigate or stop it in the future. It appears that part of the course involves node placement and analysis, so I assume that at one point you will looking into IDS/IPS and the automation (decision) on how to handle an alert. That's my opinion on that...both are good schools, so I believe it's a win/win either way!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    I was planning on continuing at WGU for my Masters but I may have an additional year of education benefits to use and that certificate program at PSU just caught my eye. Do you think it would be worth it to get a post-bachelors certificate from PSU after finishing a masters at WGU just for a more recognizable school added to the resume?

Tentatively, that's actually my plan, though slightly different.

I am (tentatively) going for a graduate certificate from a B&M that's local to me. When I complete it, that will give me an idea if I want to pursue a Masters with them or even at all.

One thing I do not want to do though, and this is my choice, is a Masters from WGU. I have always felt that my Masters has to come from a B&M. Sort of "unfinished business...." ;)
  • Options
    PbutterPbutter Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to everyone who replied. As I conducted more research, I am realizing BU and PSU will not work for me. I need a program I can complete FT, in approx. 1-1.2 yrs. Both programs mentioned are more suited for working professionals (PT-part time) and would take over 2 yrs to complete. PSU's Masters in Info Science admits 1x a yr. I already missed for 2012.

Capitol's courses impressed me, but I am concerned over the heavy military emphasis (my experiences are all corporate). Sadly I do not have an undergrad in CS/eng so I do not qualify for schools like CMU or Iowa. I would need to take too many pre-reqs. Now, I am exploring NOVA and UMUC. Again, concerned over the reputation of the schools and how it will impact my ability to gain employment. I will be paying for this degree out of pocket and looking for the most ROI. I am becoming frustrated with this process and really need to select, apply and begin a program. I am currently unemployed and want to leverage this time to expand on my technical skill set. Any personal feedback on NOVA or UMUC's program with specific emphasis on how the programs were perceived by employer/HR/recruiters, etc. would be extremely appreciated.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You may want to investigate an MBA from a top tier school that has a concentration in Information Systems or Information Security. Actually, James Madison University has an Information Assurance MBA where ALL courses have an IA flavor to them, not just the technology related courses. I know you already went down the MBA path before, but this may be right up your alley, and I think it is geared towards covering the CISSP curriculum (if not, it wouldn't be far off).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro