Rant/question

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Been a member for some time but haven't posted much.

Saw a job opening in a company, applied for it and also told my friend/coworker about it and didn't hear from the company for a while. Got a call for an interview and so did my coworker. Interview went well and thought I aced it. A week later coworker had his interview and next day he said that it went well and within an hour after the interview, he got a call for second interview. I was a bummed out thinking what could have gone wrong with my interview that I didn't get a call back. After my coworkers second interview, he said that he has practically got it and just waiting on the formalities. I was kind of devastated thinking that this is crazy. I have more experience than him and have a bachelors (which was the requirement for the position).
Then he tells me that he knows someone in the company and I am like ah ha, this might be the reason. I am really pissed off right now that all this experience and degree for nothing.
Also, can a company hire someone when they do not meet the basic requirements for a position?

On the other hand, I am thinking that I shouldn't have told him about the job opening but that will be selfish on my part and I am not like that.

/End Rant

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Before forming an opinion I would like to know:

- Are you really friends with this person or is it just a coworker?
    - Why did you tell that person your plan? Did you expect him to not apply?
    - Degree aside, are you two on the same level of experience and certs?
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply.

He is a coworker, we have never hung out outside work.
    I told him I have applied to the position and I did expect him to apply also.
    He only has A+, and experience wise, I have 2 years on him.
  • gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dadaji wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply.

He is a coworker, we have never hung out outside work.
    I told him I have applied to the position and I did expect him to apply also.
    He only has A+, and experience wise, I have 2 years on him.

Honestly don't worry about it there will always be bigger and better opportunities keep studying and work hard.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Well, I hate to say it but this is on you. Looking out for yourself and being selfish are two completely different things. If, and only if someone is really my friend I would let them know my plans. If a good friend tells me he's applying for a specific position, I would never go for it unless we engage in a preplanned healthy competition to see who gets it. But that's me. I respect and value friendship like that. Kind of when a good 10-15 year friendship ends because two guys went for the same girl.

Now, if you told him about the position counting on you being a superior candidate, I would have to say that was a risky move which have seem to backfired. If he has an insider all bets are off. Some companies put a lot of value on referrals and prefer to hire that way. It all comes down to politics sooner or later.

I am no HR expert, but I think that as long as it doesn't involve a protected group companies can do whatever the heck they want. The degree is no deal breaker if they like someone. My last three jobs required a BS, which I do not have (although I am about to complete it.)
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is often who you know, not what you know that determines if you get hired/laid off. You'll see this over and over again throughout your career. Usually not much you can do about it and not worth the hassle of fighting it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I feel your pain. One thing you might do in the future is to not increase competition for positions you are going for.
    As to who the company can hire for a position, that is up to the company. A lot of good, qualified, candidates sometimes get passed over for jobs to less qualified people just because of who that person knows.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually; it's more about who knows you. You can tell yourself and others that you know the CEO and other higher-ups in the company; but if they don't even know you exist, how does that help you?

As for that coworker; if he claims to know someone there, why didn't mention that before? Something just doesn't seem right.....icon_silent.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    earweed wrote: »
    ... A lot of good, qualified, candidates sometimes get passed over for jobs to less qualified people just because of who that person knows.

Indeed.

Frequently, when I write about 'networking' it is not simply about routing packets...it is about the people network. Life is more about who you know than what you know...but after a point...what you DO KNOW will matter.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Call it being secretive if you must, but when I'm applying for jobs/going on interviews I usually don't tell a single person. Less chance of getting my hopes up, feelings hurt and avoiding competition. It's easier to tell someone you didn't get the job if they didn't even know you interviewed, than it is if they were rooting for you to do good on it.

I guess I'm that way about a lot of things. To this day the only people who know how much money I make and paid for my vehicles (Besides the seller/employer) are on forums. I feel its no one else's business.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    That is pretty crappy situation. I wouldn't ever tell someone of a position I am seeking out.

Was it maybe a salary thing?
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    dadaji wrote: »
    Been a member for some time but haven't posted much.

Saw a job opening in a company, applied for it and also told my friend/coworker about it and didn't hear from the company for a while. Got a call for an interview and so did my coworker. Interview went well and thought I aced it. A week later coworker had his interview and next day he said that it went well and within an hour after the interview, he got a call for second interview. I was a bummed out thinking what could have gone wrong with my interview that I didn't get a call back. After my coworkers second interview, he said that he has practically got it and just waiting on the formalities. I was kind of devastated thinking that this is crazy. I have more experience than him and have a bachelors (which was the requirement for the position).
    Then he tells me that he knows someone in the company and I am like ah ha, this might be the reason. I am really pissed off right now that all this experience and degree for nothing.
    Also, can a company hire someone when they do not meet the basic requirements for a position?

On the other hand, I am thinking that I shouldn't have told him about the job opening but that will be selfish on my part and I am not like that.

/End Rant

Anything could have happened.

- He could have presented that he had credentials that he didn't really have (one of my co-workers did that, presented that he had a CCNA when he only took a class)
    - He could know someone
    - He might have interviewed better than you did
    - You might not have interviewed as well as you thought, or said something someone didn't like
    - They might not have liked your tie
    - They might have lost your number

All this is to say, don't dwell on it too much. If he's truly not as qualified as you and they selected him instead of you because of who he knew instead of what he knew, then it's probably not a place you want to work anyway. In those types of places, the networking jobs go to the 18 year old kids of the executive's secretary. Or the manager has no knowledge of management.

Everything happens for a reason. Use your powers of analysis and try to see the silver lining, but don't dwell on this setback for too long. The right opportunity for you will come your way.

I wish you nothing but luck.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the replies.
    @eserfeliz - You might be right. His interview might have gone better than mine. He knows someone in the company and they might not have liked my personality or how I look or something like that but the position is basically helpdesk with a fancy title.
    Anyways, I had some time this weekend for some R&R and to clear my head and I think I am over it.
    Again, Thank you all.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not to be harsh... but you have to get over this "selfish is bad" mentality. No one else is going to look out for you better than yourself, nor is there any rational reason for anyone to do so. Self-interest is a trait of ALL living beings, plant, animal, fungus, etc, alike. You shouldn't have told anyone about if you didn't want them to compete against you. Bottom line.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro