Can not seem to find job...

GeorgeBluffGeorgeBluff Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi!

I'm new to this board, and after reading a few of the threads for the last hour, I figured I might as well sign up.

So here is my major issue, I can not seem to find any IT related job. I am currently a senior at a reputable college studying Information Technology with a focus on Information Architecture. On my resume, I don't have much technical related experience on paper, but I have a good amount on knowledge I've gained through working on computers my whole life. I have 3 years of cell phone sales experience, as well as personal working knowledge of hands on repair. I also have a GPA of 3.59. My school doesn't have any internship or co-op programs available at the moment.

Are there any recommendations that anyone could give me? I'm just looking for a little help. I would be willing to take any IT job, entry level help desk or what ever, just to get some experience to put on my resume.

Thanks!

Comments

• hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Just to give you my experience, I just recently graduated in May. I had a similar GPA (3.51) and also majored in an IT related program. I tried throughout my senior year to get a job, but only had a few interviews.

Unlike you, my work history was very limited (mostly online contracting stuff). My advice is to keep your head up and just keep applying. Don't forget about the small businesses as well, they need people too.

Also, you may consider posting your resume here (with all the personal information out) and someone will critique it for you.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but seriously, keep at it.
  • GeorgeBluffGeorgeBluff Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know. The only thing that is really becoming an issue now is the money. I've been doing 2 part time josb the last few years to pay the bills, but this semester has make it impossible for me to work one of them so im getting to the point where I need to make some moves.

Thanks for the reply. Its good to know that you got a job. Hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Like hackman said -- just keep applying. One thing I Will add is NETWORK. Join meetup.com groups, look for events, expos, etc. networking is a big thing, its who you know, not only what you know.

Make friends, exchange business cards, etc and who knows. Someone just may help you out. ;)
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    I see you have no Certifications what some companies do is scan your Resume if it does not have key words in it like A+ Network+ CCENT Ext...
    they just toss it in the trash.

If you don't have any Cert's you can get some of the basic ones and you'll start getting request for interviews I know I had the same issue even with 5+ years of experience.

With your background with Computers you should be able to knock out the A+ in a month and the Net+ in a month maybe even get a OS cert like Win7 and you should start to see results soon after.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Krunchi wrote: »
    I see you have no Certifications what some companies do is scan your Resume if it does not have key words in it like A+ Network+ CCENT Ext...
    they just toss it in the trash.

If you don't have any Cert's you can get some of the basic ones and you'll start getting request for interviews I know I had the same issue even with 5+ years of experience.

With your background with Computers you should be able to knock out the A+ in a month and the Net+ in a month maybe even get a OS cert like Win7 and you should start to see results soon after.

I would agree with this, start knocking out certs as much as you can. Make a list of all what you need that match with your skills, then figure out which ones are easiest in order and then take off running.
  • descender421descender421 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sort of in the same boat, except I don't have much IT experience whatsoever. Hard to even get interviews currently for help desk I positions. Oh well, hopefully that changes soon or I'm probably doing something wrong with my resume and/or cover letter.
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Go volunteer. There's no shame in just asking a non-profit around where you live if you could come in to volunteer a some hours a week.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Does your reputable college not have any IT related student worker positions...?

At my college we had student workers in nearly every facet of IT...Help Desk, Field Support, Lab Monitors, Lab Technicians, Multimedia Technicians, Video Conference Technicians, NOC, Network Engineering/Network Architecture, Knowledge Base Development, Mainframe Data Entry...and that was just the main IT dept...we also had student workers in HPC (High Performance Computing), CCT (Center for Computation and Technology), LEO (Law Enforcement Online), etc....then each department had it's own student workers to do whatever they needed them to do...then each affiliated campus had it's own IT group (Law School, Ag Center, etc).

I don't understand why you'd do cell phone sales instead of a job directly related to not only your studies, but your potential vocation...
  • coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion, these three items are essential for the IT field DOD wise is:

Security Clearance-Secret
    Security+
    A vendor cert i.e. CCNA or Any Microsoft Cert.

I wasn't really getting anything besides break/fix positions until I got those certifications listed. The clearance can/will come with the job offer usually if you are not military, companies could sponsor you. As soon as I got my current position, sys admin, I have turned down multiple job offers because of the certs and the clearance I listed up top. Good luck man, and if you need any advise, help pm me. I was there bro. God bless
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Hi!

I'm new to this board, and after reading a few of the threads for the last hour, I figured I might as well sign up.

So here is my major issue, I can not seem to find any IT related job. I am currently a senior at a reputable college studying Information Technology with a focus on Information Architecture. On my resume, I don't have much technical related experience on paper, but I have a good amount on knowledge I've gained through working on computers my whole life. I have 3 years of cell phone sales experience, as well as personal working knowledge of hands on repair. I also have a GPA of 3.59. My school doesn't have any internship or co-op programs available at the moment.

Are there any recommendations that anyone could give me? I'm just looking for a little help. I would be willing to take any IT job, entry level help desk or what ever, just to get some experience to put on my resume.

Thanks!

Where are you located?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Since you dont have much working experience, I'd make a section in your resume named, relevent course work. If you have done and database projects or wrote any programs for some of your classes, indicate that here. This will help to make up the non work experience.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd recommend taking at the A+ Network+ and perhaps Security+. After that think about going into more advanced security, Microsoft certifications or Cisco certifications. It just depends on what you can see yourself doing.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S