Hyperterminal replacement for Win 7 and USB to Serial console connection

Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
All:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am trying to connect into my 2620XM router via the console cable from a Windows 7 laptop with the USB to serial connection. I have downloaded a couple of freebie terminal emulators and I cannot seem to find one that will allow a serial connection using the USB port? They all seem to want a serial connector only. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Comments

• KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I am on Win7 USB->Serial and I use TeraTerm

Most likely you need to check device manager and see what COM the USB adapter is using and change your setting.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I tried TeraTerm and it would not let me select a port when I chose Serial. It acted like I did not have a serial port available even though I had the console cable connected via a USB port...
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Look in Device manager see if it is being recognized.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
    I figured it out - even though I loaded the drivers for the USB to serial connector I needed to reboot to pick it up. Now it works fine.

Guess I should not try to watch the MLB playoffs and try and work at the same time?
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    If you have XP around then you can just copy...

C:\Program Files\Windows NT\hypertrm.exe
    C:\WINODWS\system32\hypertrm.dll

these two files and have hyperterminal. That's what I use. Works perfect in Win 7.
    Thanks for that info, Elvis. I do have one XP laptop that I can copy those files, so I will do that as a backup. I wanted to get one of my Win 7 PC's working with the console connection because my lone XP laptop is VERY old...
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    +1 for tera term, also putty both work with serial , usb serial , ssh, ethernet to serial

For linux or mac

minicom or screen

e.g

sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600n8 or sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600

with minicom to create a connection called console
    sudo minicom -S console
    then setup the need strings (delete most of the dial strings )
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • sasprosaspro Member Posts: 114
    Putty will let you select serial & pick any com port you need
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    You can use screen or minicom on windows if you install cygwin - but its easier to use teraterm or putty
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014