Options

Question (70-270)

If there are two hardware profiles on a laptop computer, one for docked and the other for undocked, do you have to specify everytime which hardware profile to use? (ex. When you undock the laptop, do you have to specify the undocked profile, or does it automatically do it for you?)

Comments

• Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i know that after you set up the profiles you can specify how long before it chooses the default profile on boot up. each boot it will ask you which to use.
    Im not sure if it will pick up the different profiles when you dock and undock it though.
  • Options
    DeadProphetDeadProphet Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If the computer (or computers BIOS) is ACPI compliant it should do it automatically if I´m not mistaken.
    And it also depends on Group Policys (in a domain) if the User is allowed to Undock or not.
  • Options
    shudapshudap Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just a thought?

microsofts correct way says to make a user never have to choose a profile just delete the one you dont want, and have it boot to the one you want? well, in the case of a laptop, undocked, or docked, and it suggests that? isnt that sorta dumb? why couldnt you just set the timer to 0, set the desired profile to default and then change the settings later? why re-recreate a profile again?

i assume setting to 0 may set it to flash it on the screen? but wouldnt that be more justified?
    yarrrrr! yarrrr!! i hate thee who be a paper mcse!
  • Options
    princess4peaceprincess4peace Member Posts: 286
    i know that after you set up the profiles you can specify how long before it chooses the default profile on boot up. each boot it will ask you which to use.
    Im not sure if it will pick up the different profiles when you dock and undock it though.

fiascolaste, Non-Profit Techie is right. However if you dont want to be changing, you need need to set the time to 0 for the profile you desire which should also be made the default profile (docked or undocked, whichever you desired))
    Knowledge is life