Options

Have you ever had to change your job/role in a company to be a "team player"?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I never really have had to do this before. However the project I am potentially apart of is not moving along so quickly. The funding is there and has been approved so the financials are in place, but other things like roles and responsibility and other initation/planning items are still not completely in place.

Well in the mean time I will most likely be asked to take on more of a technicial role once I transition out of my old job, which is next week physically and officially at the end of the month.

How did you adapt? One minute you are planning out your career one way and then wham you are in another position. ****Disclaimer this is just a possibility at the moment so nothing is set in stone.

Anyway I am just curious to see how many of the forum members have had this happen. I have a feeling we will see split reactions. Some people it paved the way to their career and for others it probably did the complete opposite.

Comments

• Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    N2IT wrote: »
    I never really have had to do this before. However the project I am potentially apart of is not moving along so quickly. The funding is there and has been approved so the financials are in place, but other things like roles and responsibility and other initation/planning items are still not completely in place.

Well in the mean time I will most likely be asked to take on more of a technicial role once I transition out of my old job, which is next week physically and officially at the end of the month.

How did you adapt? One minute you are planning out your career one way and then wham you are in another position. ****Disclaimer this is just a possibility at the moment so nothing is set in stone.

Anyway I am just curious to see how many of the forum members have had this happen. I have a feeling we will see split reactions. Some people it paved the way to their career and for others it probably did the complete opposite.

I've never had to do this. However, my father related to me an experience when he was a mainframe programmer (20-25 years ago). A new system was being introduced, and one of the operators flatly refused to learn the new system. Instead, she decided she'd spend the days staring out towards the highway, literally watching the day pass her by. My dad and the other programmers decided to learn what they could. Eventually, they made a full transition to the new system and the operator that refused to learn the system found herself on the receiving end of a pink slip, since they "didn't have anything for her to do."

My advice: keep doing what you do. If the financials are in place, perhaps they will return to it if they see they have the resources to pull it off. Stay in contact with stakeholders to monitor new information and, more importantly, keep your name fresh in case the project gets a sudden green light. The silver lining: at least you still have a job. Stay ready for whatever comes your way next, whether it's with this company or another.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eserfeliz wrote: »
    I've never had to do this. However, my father related to me an experience when he was a mainframe programmer (20-25 years ago). A new system was being introduced, and one of the operators flatly refused to learn the new system. Instead, she decided she'd spend the days staring out towards the highway, literally watching the day pass her by. My dad and the other programmers decided to learn what they could. Eventually, they made a full transition to the new system and the operator that refused to learn the system found herself on the receiving end of a pink slip, since they "didn't have anything for her to do."

My advice: keep doing what you do. If the financials are in place, perhaps they will return to it if they see they have the resources to pull it off. Stay in contact with stakeholders to monitor new information and, more importantly, keep your name fresh in case the project gets a sudden green light. The silver lining: at least you still have a job. Stay ready for whatever comes your way next, whether it's with this company or another.

That's a good reply. I appreciate you taking the time to share that story.

You are right at least I have a job and hopefully I get the green light. I have stakeholder confidence no question about it.