Options

Masters degree after WGU question

Has anyone been accepted into a brick and mortar school for the Master's degree, based on their undergrad from WGU?

I know they're accredited by legitimate organizations, but quite frankly, I would like my Masters from a more traditional school.

I'm not expecting Harvard or anything, but state schools would be acceptable.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've only applied to one state school so far. I have three classes to go before conferment, but I can't see a denial. It's for a Graduate certificate program, to begin Fall 2012, though I'm hoping I can take at least one class in the summer. After the program is over, I can begin my MBA.

BTW, there are folks who are doing masters at Harvard Extension School with a BS from WGU.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    All you can do is apply and see. I personally completed a BS in CIS from Thomas Edison State and have gone on to earn a MS in MIS from the U of Illinois at Springfield. I am now earning a MBA from the U of North Dakota. My point being people get into BM grad programs all the time with non-traditional undergrads.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only question I have had from state universities is who are they accredited by? Once I tell them I get no more questions other than what my GPA is.
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Really? I'm not knocking WGU, as I'm starting up in Dec, and really want my degree. But being an online only school, there's always going to be that stigma. Should I go in a different direction, and elect to get my Masters, I just want to know that I can get it from a more traditional school, or at know that's an option.

I appreciate you sharing your experience. It does help me.
  • Options
    wmdudewmdude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□

I’m applying to another university for a graduate or terminal degree program. What should I expect? Will they accept my WGU education?

Please note that each university has its own set of steps and admission requirements for graduate school or terminal program. Candidates for graduate school are examined in different areas: the strength of their application/essay, letters of recommendation, graduate school test scores, and so forth. Additionally, some schools require applicants to have experience in the field, or to have a particular GRE score or GMAT score while others require a combination of both. Generally, most schools require that a student have graduated from an accredited program. Since WGU is nationally, regionally and NCATE accredited, the university satisfies the requirement of an accredited program.

Our WGU graduates have been accepted into graduate school programs by different traditional universities. Below are some examples of where WGU graduates have continued their education:

Amberton University, TX
    American Military University, WV
    Ashford University, IA
    Baker University, MI
    Baylor in Waco, TX
    Boise State University, ID
    Boston University, MA
    Bowling Green State University, OH
    Brigham Young University, UT
    California InterContinental University, CA
    Capella University
    Colorado Technical University, CO
    Concord Law School (part of Kaplan University)
    Cornell University, NY
    Crown College, MN
    Devry University
    Drexel University, PA
    Georgia State University, GA
    Gonzaga University, WA
    Grand Canyon University, AZ
    Heritage University, WA
    Idaho State University, ID
    Kansas State University, KS
    Keller Graduate School of Management, IL
    Lamar University, TX
    Lewis & Clark, OR
    National University, CA
    North Central University, AZ
    Northeastern State University, OK
    Northeastern University, MA
    Northern Illinois University, IL
    Norwich, VT
    Nova Southeastern, FL
    Oklahoma State University, OK
    Portland State University, OR
    Southern Utah University, UT
    St. Norbert College, WI
    Strayer University, FL
    The University of Alabama, AL
    Trevecca Nazarene University, TN
    University of Alaska Anchorage, AK
    University of North Carolina at Charlotte, NC
    Union Institute & University
    University of Houston, TX
    University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, IL
    University of Michigan, MI
    University of Minnesota, MN
    University of New England, ME
    University of New Mexico, NM
    University of Northern Colorado, CO
    University of Redlands, CA
    University of St. Louis, MO
    University of South Alabama, AL
    University of Southern Mississippi, MS
    University of the Cumberlands, KY
    University of the Pacific - McGeorge School of Law, CA
    University of Utah, UT
    University of Virginia, VA
    University of Washington Tacoma, WA
    Utah State University, UT
    Villanova University, PA
    Virginia Tech, VA
    Walden University
    Warner Pacific College, OR
    Weber State University, UT
    West Virgina University, WV
    Wharton Business School, PA

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Howie, I understand your concerns, and I shared them prior to even researching WGU. Every web site I've visited always had these ads and I just dismissed them, initially as some fake-a-- school. Then I started hearing that the school actually had legitimacy, so I did my due dilligence and researched. I found that the school was real popular on techexams, and I always knew this forum as a place that would never advocate a place that wasn't legitimate.

Still, even with my high respect for techexams.net and its forum members that wasn't enough. I did read both stickies prior to my first post here, but I had to do independent research. What I found was that the degree was regionally accredited. An RA degree means I can apply for a Masters program ANYWHERE (even Ivy League if I so wish) The two WGU linked in groups have members that are going to B&M schools. Others are sticking with WGU for their Masters, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I want to go the B&M route to add legitimacy to my WGU's Bachelors AND to prove to myself that I can hack a B&M program.

Remember, as far as a resume is concerned, people only care about the last degree you earned. Of course, in my case, I just put my last couple of colleges on my resume, but I'll be replacing "some college" with "college degree, conferred" or something similar.

As long as WGU isn't a diploma mill (and it's NOT), then the degree can be sold to prospective employers. Online learning is pretty much prime-time now.

Have you seen this site yet:

Western Governors University | Bachelors of Science in Information Technology | Online Degree Reviews | GetEducated.com
  • Options
    Awesome list...

Thank you all for patiently answering my concerns.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Howie, I understand your concerns, and I shared them prior to even researching WGU. Every web site I've visited always had these ads and I just dismissed them, initially as some fake-a-- school. Then I started hearing that the school actually had legitimacy, so I did my due dilligence and researched. I found that the school was real popular on techexams, and I always knew this forum as a place that would never advocate a place that wasn't legitimate.

Still, even with my high respect for techexams.net and its forum members that wasn't enough. I did read both stickies prior to my first post here, but I had to do independent research. What I found was that the degree was regionally accredited. An RA degree means I can apply for a Masters program ANYWHERE (even Ivy League if I so wish) The two WGU linked in groups have members that are going to B&M schools. Others are sticking with WGU for their Masters, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I want to go the B&M route to add legitimacy to my WGU's Bachelors AND to prove to myself that I can hack a B&M program.

Remember, as far as a resume is concerned, people only care about the last degree you earned. Of course, in my case, I just put my last couple of colleges on my resume, but I'll be replacing "some college" with "college degree, conferred" or something similar.

As long as WGU isn't a diploma mill (and it's NOT), then the degree can be sold to prospective employers. Online learning is pretty much prime-time now.

Have you seen this site yet:

Western Governors University | Bachelors of Science in Information Technology | Online Degree Reviews | GetEducated.com

@erp, you read my mind. That's how I view my Master's. I don't want to have to explain WGU to the uninitiated, or those who automatically turn their noses up an an online degree, even though many prestigious B&M schools now offer online only options.

Thank you very much.