Options

Resume- I know, "that guy" again.

darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
I updated my resume and am toying with working a second part time job because, well, 3-4 days off a week... It gets to me.

*Stares at the wall, fiddling his ethernet cable*

Ahem, Anyways!

Any tips? Pointers? Part of me is unsure if I should go beyond 1 page and add more detail to my experience section, or simple add a skills section. Any help would rock, I've gotten hits already but only from Monster recruiters... I can't even get calls back for a Part Time Helpdesk gig in Seattle, tho that may be to my availability (Darn it?)

Thankies.
:twisted:

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Skill gap -
    You have your core Microsoft skills down, snag two application certs. Exchange and Sharepoint for example. You also need Cisco and Linux on there. Snag those skills asap. Linux+ and CCENT would be good.

Volunteer work -
    Get some volunteer work on there asap. Libraries. Old folks home I hack charities if you don't want to leave you house.

Professional Orgs -
    Find a local users groups for something, macs, vmware etc and join up! Get that on there.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely add your CCNA to your resume, especially since you have Cisco troubleshooting listed. Aren't you doing WGU? you might add your B.S. in progress on the resume or cover letter.
    It looks like you have a lot of experience from your different jobs, so that should help in getting some calls.
  • Options
    Oh Geez, last time I edited my resume was before I had CCNA or was with WGU. I'll definitely update, and my official title is "Junior" but I guess taking that out does look snazier.

I'll be testing for my CCDA in 2 weeks as well, I think I may finish my MCITP: EA soon through WGU's generous materials and incentives so I can condense all my Msoft stuff into one or two lines. I've noticed that Cisco and Juniper level stuff is highly regarded.

Any other tips? Should I add a skills section? "Configured 2610xm, 2620xm, 3550, etc etc. Cisco Devices supporting a total of x servers and y users 7/24/365" or something of the sort? I don't want to be too general and then get asked a question way beyond my head about Network Design that I haven't grasped yet.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    darkerz wrote: »
    Oh Geez, last time I edited my resume was before I had CCNA or was with WGU. I'll definitely update, and my official title is "Junior" but I guess taking that out does look snazier.
    Keep it listed as your official title. You don't want to lie on your resume do you?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Edited- Still editing, I'll have a new one out soon. Goal is a part time networking or deployment gig due to my overly generous amt of time off.

I'm guessing a skills section is a must have, working on it with a co-worker now.