Options

Was taking 3 classes now 2. You guys ever have to drop a class?

So, no I am not lazy. I had to drop a class in order to concentrate more on programming 110 which is C# programming and is the class I needed for graduation. I am also taking English 201, which is a bunch of writing and I hate writing. I had a philosophy class, which was intro to logic and all my classes are online except for programming 110 which is in class. I need in class instruction for logic, so I have decided to take it next quarter. I did not get the true and false statements. Oh well, at least I have the book and its better then going to jail. OH btw most of you already know I work part-time at the Help Desk and am having more responsibilities be shoved on me and not even through the first month yet.

Comments

• Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Yep, when I was in college I dropped classes a couple times. It is important to realize when you are in over your head and to solve the problem as quickly as possible, even if it will delay graduation. It's better to spend one more semester in school than fail both classes because you didn't have the time to devote to both of them.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You drop a course that deals with logic...a course that will indirectly help you with a programming class (trust me...it does....learning syntax is only half the battle...learning how to use that syntax in some logical order is the other half.)

Better to drop a course you're having problems with, sure, but just remember that you can't drop life when it gets harder and try for it again in a few months. Better to tackle your problems when they come head on and get over with.

You seriously need to better prioritize your time. Your posts are becoming more evident of that.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I dropped two classes in the summer when I was in community college right before I transferred to my alma mater. The reasoning was two-fold: 1) they would only transfer over as electives even though they were IS courses, and 2) the instructors were being D-bags and said that I should even be in the course because another class I was currently taking was a pre-requisite (I already had five years of experience under my belt and an MCSE... taking Fundamentals of Operating Systems wasn't high on my list).

I did drop my marketing class once because the instructor (the first-season female champion from American Gladiators!) was a hard-@## and closed the door when class started and wouldn't let you in. I feel that is an immature way to handle an evening class geared towards working adults; I am not there to prepare me for the working world... I am already in the working world... I am there to get specific skills and a degree. I was busting my tail at work everyday and I had to stay late on MANY occasions, which would make me late for class.

Beyond that, I never dropped a class. One semester I took 16 credits hours (all in the evening, at a traditional univeristy), and one of the courses was Calculus. That was a PITA semester. I probably could have benefited from dropping Calculus, as I didn't need it.

Go for the gusto! Don't drop a class. Adversity makes you grow.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its better to focus your time on what you know you can handle then take on too much and fail everything.

I really do think you need to relax a little bit, don't scrutinize your every decision, you are still young, when I was your age I was still working fast food and not going to school at all. You are doing a lot to better yourself. Keep moving forward that is the important thing. You are working, gaining experience and going to school. All things that allow you to move forward. If you feel that your plate is full with what you have then great. If you feel you have more time and energy in you, but not enough structured time for another class (which is done on the schools schedule and not yours) study for some certs.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    So, no I am not lazy. I had to drop a class in order to concentrate more on programming 110 which is C# programming and is the class I needed for graduation. I am also taking English 201, which is a bunch of writing and I hate writing. I had a philosophy class, which was intro to logic and all my classes are online except for programming 110 which is in class. I need in class instruction for logic, so I have decided to take it next quarter. I did not get the true and false statements. Oh well, at least I have the book and its better then going to jail. OH btw most of you already know I work part-time at the Help Desk and am having more responsibilities be shoved on me and not even through the first month yet.

I think just a few weeks ago you were telling us it was the best job ever and you spend the evening playing computer games. You *will* get more responsibilties shoved on you after some elapsed time in a new job and thats a good thing. Experience! I think you should keep up all your classes. Learning to deal with too many demands on your time is an important skill in life and people who are successful are good at it. I got a couple of hours reading in on a Saturday while juggling responsibilities at home with my wife and kids from 7am to 9pm. No rack time possible! Sunday will be the same. Such is life.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I've dropped classes but early on instead adopted a philosophy where, if I were in over my head, I would select one class as a 'sacrifical lamb' where just enough effort was put into it to pass it. All other effort went to the remaining courses. Resulted in a few C's but I didn't have to take them next semester. Might be worth a shot going forward...
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Armymanis wrote: »

I have dropped a few classes here and there. It’s better to drop a class, instead of getting an “F” or incomplete. I have gone this route when I got lazy and just stopped oding the course work. Only you know your own limitations.

When I was in school I worked a full time job and only took two courses at a time. It took me longer to get the degree, but it was easier to manage my time and understand the material. I could have done three courses, but working full time and studying for certs ate up a lot of my time. I know there were plenty of times when I wanted to drop a class, but I had to persevere and push through to get it done.
    One class I really wanted to drop was speech class. I didn’t like the diea of giving speeches, but I decided to give it a chance. I needed the credits to graduate. I actually liked the class, and it was fun for me to get to know my other classmates through their speeches and topics.
    I challenge you to take classes that you don’t like or care for, you may actually find you like them.

Note on ONLINE learning-Others may disagree, but I found online classes extremely difficult. I’m more of a people person, so I like interacting with others in person, and getting that one on one instruction. I did a few online classes and you have to post on a forum with your peers, and you have projects due too. I dropped almost every IT online class, because it was too impersonal, a lot harder to understand the material when the instructor wasn’t able to explain it to me.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    Overall, I am not a slacker. Got a good GPA and have a nice help desk job. I am willing to do anything to make it to the top and deal with the latest technology. For me however, I like the two class, part-time job thing because it gives me time to relax. Like many of you say, I do not want to burn myself out.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are not doing so well in the class you need to drop it at a certain date or it will be on your record. You need to find out what the drop dates are for your school. If you drop it in time it does not affect your GPA for the semester. So dont worry we all did it from time to time, doesnt mean you cant handle the class, maybe you have too much on your plate at the moment. I know i did it when i was going to school, i ended up graduating making the dean's list twice. That is 3.5 and better during the semester. Anyways keep up the good work, focus on your studying, respect your study hours you have set aside and execute!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I don't really agree that dropping a class is ever a good decision. Think about the time and money that you've already invested into the class. Just spend a day or two getting caught up and you'll be fine.

3 classes and part time helpdesk work isn't really that much, especially if you're taking classes at BC. There are quite a few of us working 40+ hours a week and taking 5+ classes at the same time.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    What school are you at?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never dropped one after it started, but I have felt that pinch before. Better to drop a single class than to get poor grades in 3 classes. But like someone above said, I'm too cheap to just say goodbye to my money and I don't want to start from scratch again so I fight and claw to make it through. Not everyone can do that though. I'm a quick learner and a quick worker so I can usually make up some ground without a ton of time needed.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    You have to also consider the logistics of completing your degree. Some schools just don't offer all of the required courses every semester or in a manner that is convenient. Plus, you have to manage series of prerequisite courses. This is really one of the most challenging exercises in higher education, and I think it has some of the greatest value for experience prior to entering the workforce. I had one heck of a time scheduling my Finance course and my science course. For Finance, I tried everything I could... even attempting to take the graduate level course as a substitute, considering they offered that as an option for folks doing a business related major that also wanted to roll right into an MBA; they didn't let me as I didn't want to apply to the MBA program. For science, even though I ended up nailing all of my prerequisites (Trig -> Calc for Physics), I ended up selecting a less rigorous science course, but very interesting (Energy Resources), as the schedule for the Physics course regularly start an hour before I got off of work.

Make sure you are keeping the end game in mind before you drop a class. Screwing up one semester's schedule can set you back a year, in some cases.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    During a summer semester I took 3 classes and dropped one because I was getting lot of homework from it. Of course AFTER I dropped the class the teacher realized he had to grade all the homework he was giving out and didn't want to grade homework during the summer so he stopped giving homework altogether.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Priston wrote: »
    During a summer semester I took 3 classes and dropped one because I was getting lot of homework from it. Of course AFTER I dropped the class the teacher realized he had to grade all the homework he was giving out and didn't want to grade homework during the summer so he stopped giving homework altogether.

That's a kick in the seat...

I have never seen this, but they should allow an option to get back into a class if agreeable to the student, the professor, and if not much time has elapsed (say two weeks).
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In my entire college career I dropped three courses:

2 Maths (I'm really bad at Math)
    1 Physics (Didn't realize the course was a Tuesday/Thrusday, so I missed the first class)

Other then that I charged through my courses. For the first year I was a fulltime student only and one term I took 18 credits (my school runs on quarters so each quarter was 10 weeks long). From time to time, do you have to drop things? Sure, just don't make it a habit. Also, as someone else mentioned, make sure it isn't a class that is offered every other semester or worse. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I don't really agree that dropping a class is ever a good decision. Think about the time and money that you've already invested into the class. Just spend a day or two getting caught up and you'll be fine.
    I definitely agree with you. When I was back in school I had a full schedule - Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday. 8am - 4pm. I had a part time job working Wednesday afternoons, Saturday and Sunday mornings. It was tough, very tough, but I got through it and I thank god that I went through it. Though, I had a non-existent social life.

My fiance is also the same, she has a total of 16 hours this semester, and does web coding/design work for a local art museum. She really doesn't need to work since my salary takes care of both of us, but it's good experience to put on her resume and also building a foundation for when she graduates.

Going to school full time is definitely worth it in my own opinion.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Armymanis ,

You make me laugh.

Unless you have some weird circumstance, you must live an easy life. Everybody learns their own way at their own speed. Do what you think you can handle, but as the old saying goes, "No pain, no gain".

Cut down on the hours of video games per night and you should be able to handle 3 classes and a part time job no problem. I'd guess that 95% of the studends that I talked to in college did the same or more.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    When I first went to college, I was driving 70 miles one way, at school for four hours each day, then went to work for eight hours. Then still had to drive home 70 miles, and finish up any homework I didn't get completed during my breaks at work. This was Monday-Friday, for 18 months.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do what you have to do. It all works out in the end.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration