Options

Got a Network Engineer job!!

Hi Guys,I have been a member here on the forums for about a year. This forum has helped me with preparation for A+ Net + and my CCNA I just got today!! icon_cheers.gif I just realized over the summer that Cisco was my passion and after soe serious prayin and studyin, out of nowhere JP Morgan Chase calls and has me take an assessment for a network engineering job which I almost got a perfect on. Then after a series of intense interviews, they offered me a job!! I will be configuring routers and switches for newly installed ATMs at Chase branches across America!! I can't wait to start!! I thank everyone on this forum for helping me to get where I am!!
(CCNP: Switch) Passed!
(CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
(CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
(Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    techie2012 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,I have been a member here on the forums for about a year. This forum has helped me with preparation for A+ Net + and my CCNA I just got today!! icon_cheers.gif I just realized over the summer that Cisco was my passion and after soe serious prayin and studyin, out of nowhere JP Morgan Chase calls and has me take an assessment for a network engineering job which I almost got a perfect on. Then after a series of intense interviews, they offered me a job!! I will be configuring routers and switches for newly installed ATMs at Chase branches across America!! I can't wait to start!! I thank everyone on this forum for helping me to get where I am!!

Congratulations. Now get your head down and forget about certs for a while and knuckle down on that job.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    genderdude wrote: »
    Congrats is this your first networking gig.

Well, I had a job as a network technician but it was mainly help desk. I was able to touch a few switches here and there for checking port status and such but nothing elaborate. We had an outsourced IT company for handling our networking infrastructure. I would have stayed with my last company and tried to suggest transitioning network support to me. However, the pay was terrible, no room for growth and further education is not rewarded and it is the exact opposite where I am now. During down time, I was told I can shadow other engineers, read for furthering education appropriate to the job and lab it up with packet tracer. Let me assure you that not a moment will be wasted at work. :D
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
  • Options
    nethackernethacker Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techie2012 wrote: »
    Well, I had a job as a network technician but it was mainly help desk. I was able to touch a few switches here and there for checking port status and such but nothing elaborate. We had an outsourced IT company for handling our networking infrastructure. I would have stayed with my last company and tried to suggest transitioning network support to me. However, the pay was terrible, no room for growth and further education is not rewarded and it is the exact opposite where I am now. During down time, I was told I can shadow other engineers, read for furthering education appropriate to the job and lab it up with packet tracer. Let me assure you that not a moment will be wasted at work. :D
    congrats bro..make sure you continue to grab those certs... configuring those routers and switches will be interesting but also try to get involved in troubleshooting. icon_thumright.gif
    JNCIE | CCIE | GCED
  • Options
    ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congrats on the job!! Keep us all informed on how the job is going. Again big congrats to you. icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    rose227rose227 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Turgon wrote: »
    Congratulations. Now get your head down and forget about certs for a while and knuckle down on that job.

Solid advice there. It's what I did at my new position I accepted 9 months ago. I am just now getting back into looking at certs and hanging a bit around TE.

Spend that time learning your job inside and out and impress your employer! :)
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the job! I don't agree completely with forgetting certs for a while, still doesn't hurt to study some.. just maybe knock it down 75%.
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the new job and best of luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166