Options

Head hunters

ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
I just want to get everybody's opinion on here about head hunters. I have been contacted by several that want to work with me but I am reluctant to do so. Am I missing opportunities or should I steer clear?

On the bright side I do have a company that wants to interview me for a engineering gig. I just have to touch base with them to set up a time for an interview. :)

Comments

• Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've dealt with them before in situations where I just needed a job. I work fulltime with good pay and benefits so I personally don't bother responding anymore. If I find myself jobless again then yes I will gladly deal with headhunters again until I'd find another fulltime employment.
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Shanman wrote: »
    I just want to get everybody's opinion on here about head hunters. I have been contacted by several that want to work with me but I am reluctant to do so. Am I missing opportunities or should I steer clear?

On the bright side I do have a company that wants to interview me for a engineering gig. I just have to touch base with them to set up a time for an interview. :)

That depends on how desperate you are for a job. If you're okay with working temp to perm or contract to hire, headhunters are the way to go. Just to be clear, however, the head they're hunting for is yours. They're looking for a commission for providing your services to another party. Most don't care if the two parties aren't a good fit. They're trying to put a body in a chair.

I've been in contact with headhunters for seven years, after I tell them that I'm looking for full time employment only (because I have a full time job with awesome benefits), I almost never hear from them again. The jobs I've found have been from dice.com or careerbuilder, my university's career portal, or applying directly on the company's web page.

Headhunters mostly have the same resources that you do, or they're paying careerbuilder for an upgraded account. In my opinion, with your CCNA, you're better off sending e-mails that are full of your personality directly to the HR departments you're trying to get a position with.

I wish you nothing but luck.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I typically follow all opportunities until I find out that they are not for me. I also use it as an opportunity to build my network. Having a good rapport with head hunters is good before you need them. I have several that I am connected with on LinkedIn.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro