Options

How to decide between software/network/database engineering

davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
What helped you guys decide which path to take?

Which one will be most demanded? Which one will be least demanded?

Which one pays the least?

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I hate to answer a question with a question...

Which one do you think you will be the happiest doing? They are all vastly different beasts.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    The thing is I dont know. The only scripting Ive done so far is VB.NET, HTML and CSS. I would not mind going the SE route.

However I have no experience with network or database, however, I will be taking at least one of these classes next semester which should help me a bit.

Can you list the pros and cons of each? Also, if I want to be a Systems Analyst, is it a good idea to master in at least one of the above?
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    davidboy wrote: »
    Can you list the pros and cons of each?

You really can't. They're very different disciplines. It's like asking for pros and cons between being a janitor and an astronaut. sure, you could try, but the list will quickly get unwieldy to the point where it's not really helpful.

Figure out what you enjoy the most, and go do that. It really is that simple. Since you have classes in the others coming up, you'll get some exposure, and that will give you a pretty good idea whether or not you'll enjoy them.
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    davidboy wrote: »

The thing is I dont know.

You sound just like me...lol I am exploring all options, as well. I am leaning towards SE more, but without actually conducting any programming, the decision is hard to make. Same goes with networking and database work, I have zero experience, so making a decision on interest is hard.

The university that I am attending offers both a B.S. in Computer Science and Computer Networking. The strategic decision would be to match up the degree with my expected job position and interest.

I worry sometimes, that programming might be difficult to master and present future problems. Therefore, networking would be the safe choice.

But, what do I know...I am just an entry level dude with no experience...icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    You really can't. They're very different disciplines. It's like asking for pros and cons between being a janitor and an astronaut. sure, you could try, but the list will quickly get unwieldy to the point where it's not really helpful.

Figure out what you enjoy the most, and go do that. It really is that simple. Since you have classes in the others coming up, you'll get some exposure, and that will give you a pretty good idea whether or not you'll enjoy them.

They don't have to be that different. For instance, as is the case with most IT disciplines, they all require troubleshooting skills. Furthermore, some DBAs also need to know server administration. E.g., our work network has been slowing down on the weekends, and one of our network analysts traced it back to the SQL 2005 boxes that were configured to max out all available memory for all SQL transactions. Server memory is at full utilization...32 GB! because the DBA didn't know that might be a bad way to configure the resources. Network guys script in order to perform repetitive tasks.

My advice to you would be: finish your classes, then decide what interests you the most. Then, use all of your knowledge from all of your classes to be the best...whatever you decide to be.

Cheers!
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At the end of the day all IT is simple! honestly it is, its all yes/no binary questions. Netwworking is all about switching frames/packets around to insure they reach the correct destination relibibly, Programing is simply logic steps, databases is creating layers rules and tables.

Realy all It is the same, diferent ways of dressing it up but it all follows the same fundemental rules, what some people find suprising is how skills translate in to different fields. Think about the modular aproach of networks, where each area/section if desigend correclty functions as an independent module with standarised interfaces in to other networks, by replacing a few words you could just as easly be describing the Objets with in programing.

As with every one else my sugestion is to get exposure in all areas and chose the one you enjoy the best. In all fields entry level will not pay espicaly well, if you become highly quilified and experinced then any of them will pay a very accatable wage.

You might look and see programers get more right at the top (i have no idea if taht is true), but if you are no good at programing you will never get that money, you may be far better networkengineer and so be able to move further along that career path.

Which one will be most demanded? Which one will be least demanded?

Easy, the one you like least will be most demanding the one you like most will be least... It is a fact that with out fail the subjects people do best in (and by a large margin) are the ones they find intresting and enjoy.

Which one pays the least?

The ones your not good at, as above plenty of millionairs in all the IT fields, when you start your career money should not be one of your motivations, your have plenty of time to confirm your choises later on, and even possible brancg off. Now is the time to find what field you enjoy, so try as many as possible see where it leads you.

This comes from some one who started there career in science before becomeing a network engineer :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Give it your best shot. Personally, I started off programming (mainly web development: HTML/CSS, JavaScript, ASP, PHP, etc.). The good thing about that was I developed an appreciation for programming and understand what it entails. While in that position, I handled systems and network maintenance for our systems and some of our small clients, in addition to my programming responsibilities; this allowed me to see both perspectives. Working with database systems is really a combination of both, but it can lean heavy one way or another.

If you choose poorly, switch as early as you can. No biggie.

I will say that my programming experience makes me a better systems engineer. I use Perl, BASH, DOS batch, VBScript, and PowerShell scripting to help myself and administrators in our tasks.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    Give it your best shot. Personally, I started off programming (mainly web development: HTML/CSS, JavaScript, ASP, PHP, etc.). The good thing about that was I developed an appreciation for programming and understand what it entails. While in that position, I handled systems and network maintenance for our systems and some of our small clients, in addition to my programming responsibilities; this allowed me to see both perspectives. Working with database systems is really a combination of both, but it can lean heavy one way or another.

If you choose poorly, switch as early as you can. No biggie.

I will say that my programming experience makes me a better systems engineer. I use Perl, BASH, DOS batch, VBScript, and PowerShell scripting to help myself and administrators in our tasks.
    I love web development with HTML and CSS and can see a career in that. I however have not enjoyed VB.NET that much. So it's still hard for me to decide if the programming/SE route is for me. Can I go the SE route and strictly develop web-based applications exclusively?