Options

Dual-5-nbrchange: Ip-eigrp(0)

nerdydadnerdydad Member Posts: 261
DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0)

I know what the message means, our instructor asked us what the (0) means. I have done hours of research on this, scoured books on Safari, I have seen that number be a (1), and (2) even a (3) in others examples, but I have not been able to make my number anything other than (0), and I have not found anything that tells me what this number corresponds to.

Can anyone help with this, I really need to go back to lambing, but this has become a mission.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Haha, I wasted the last 30 minutes trying to figure out what the (0) stands for because of this post and came up with nothing. I know the "IP-EIGRP(0)" part is the description of the status message, but can't seem to find what the 0 means. I've seen some with IP-EIGRP(1), but those involved redistributions/mpls so maybe it has to do with the source of the route or the network eigrp is running on top off?

Did a quick lab of eigrp running on frame-relay and it still shows up as (0)... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I tried that too.
  • Options
    Tried enabling/disabling authentication, stubs, redistributing external routes....nothing. I give up!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Interesting question. I see examples where the number varies as well, and even some examples without it. if I had to guess, it's probably something internal to IOS, and probably related to the EIGRP process itself, not necessarily to the error thats going on. If you get the answer back from your instuctor, I'd be interested to know what it was
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I believe the (0) directly correlates with the "H" column in the "sh ip eigrp neighbor" command. So the status message you received is letting you know the status is for the first neighbor eigrp has established.

Just my guess...
  • Options
    Nope, that's what I thought too. But no matter which neighbor went down, the (0) remains at 0
  • Options
    Granted I have just started my CCNP, I have tried everything I can think of, I have labbed all sorts of situations, but mine is always (0). I have seen instances without the number at all, but in books, this was always in older versions, so I thought maybe it was a new feature.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Could it be the Q count as seen in the "sho ip eigrp neighbors" ? You've got me curious now too lol.. it has to mean something!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    It's not the Q count either, I tried that too! I set the interface bandwidth to 1, and the eigrp bandwidth percent to 1, and the Q count went up and up but the (0) stayed at 0. I was thinking about this all day at work today...it's starting to drive me nuts.
  • Options
    Glad I'm not the only one, I'm sorry I dragged you all into this.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Asked a bunch of the other guys at work about this too - no-one is 100% sure.. I'd be interested to hear the answer to this when you get it from the instructor :)
  • Options
    Well, he didn't know either, he was hoping that I would figure it out. There is only one thing I have not tried yet, and that is using multiple PDM's, I just have to read ahead to ipv6, or figure out how to configure appletalk or ipx.

I even asked the CCIE we have at work, and he didn't know. My Instructor said he would get ahold of some friends at Cisco and see if we can get an answer.
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    I had an instructor like this. I also had an old boss kind of like this. He would Google random techno questions and ask them during our morning meetings. Kick started the brain.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    nerdydad wrote: »
    Well, he didn't know either, he was hoping that I would figure it out.

So he didn't know either huh? Haha, it's as if it's been bothering him as well so he seeded it to his students hoping one of them would come up with the answer lol.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Ok, so I got an answer from Cisco today, it looks like I was on the right path, but I haven't had a chance to verify, as a class we have moved on to OSPF and I really can't afford to spend any time in the past. Here is Cisco's response:
    "(0)" is the EIGRP DUAL Topology Database "Name". It comes from a C struct
    called ddbtype_ that contains a member called ddb_name with a type of char
    and a length set by a #define that's currently 32. A comment on the
    ddb_name field definition in the struct says "Name of protocol specific user
    of ddb". A "ddb" is a DUAL Descriptor Block. It could be affected by the
    PDM and given you've seen numbers up to 3 that may make sense if IP is "0",
    IPX is "1", Appletalk is "2" and IPv6 is "3". It may also reflect and be
    affected by the complexity of the topology. Sorry, I can't tell you with
    certainty.