Options

System administrator job duties

Mc5ullyMc5ully Banned Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
While looking online at different job sites I noticed approx 70% of sysadmin jobs require a lot of programming knowledge and experience.

I've never heard of sysadmins being programmers.

Is this just because company's want to save money and hire a programmer/sysadmin?

Or is this pretty standard?

Comments

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Really depends on the size of the shop. I think it's great to have knowledge in both areas.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    Sys admins need to be able to automate tasks with scripting, which requires some programming skills. For maintenance tasks, if an admin can't punch out a script to take care of it, that means he's doing it manually. If he's doing it manually, then he's wasting time on something that he doesn't need to be; plus, a script will do the task on time the correct way every time. So yes, basic coding skills are pretty standard.
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    From my exp: Sys Admin title is basically "Jack of all" title.

Except they cant say Jack of all trades, they call it Sys Admin.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    I agree with you on having knowledge in both areas.

But I think it's asking your sysadmins to be almost too much. Unless the pay reflects it I guess.

Or if the business is small and needs a few multitaskers instead of departments.

I can see sysadmins doing help desk, networking, database work, etc. But programming shouldn't be part of the normal job duties.

Maybe I'm alone in this.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments so far.

I should have been more specific with the programming language.

I'm not talking about VB. I'm talking more about Perl, Ruby, Java, etc.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mc5ully wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments so far.

I should have been more specific with the programming language.

I'm not talking about VB. I'm talking more about Perl, Ruby, Java, etc.

Well a lot of common tech has Perl APIs (MS, Linux, VMware, etc. to name a few) Perl & PHP can be considered scripting languages. Some people enjoy doing a little bit of both (personally, I do) so those type of positions are great for us!
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know about those but you will find that many sysadmin jobs especially those requiring *nix skills usually require a mixture of perl, python and shell. On the windows side of things its usually Batch, powershell and VB.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback from everyone.

Sees this is very common and I need to start learning some windows programming.