Options

IT Training Courses

XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Guys

I was wondering if you guys know of any good training companies to take classes from. Company is trying to get me in some classes before year end. If you know any specifically that are in the Atlanta area that would be awesome. So far I looked at the following, but manager wanted some more options as well

New Horizons, HOTT, Emory....just to name a few

Thanks

-X
LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interface Technical Training ([url]www.interfacett.com):[/url] They have some of the more widely know trainers, like Jeremy Ciora of Cisco training fame. You could go to the training or do live remote. They are out of Arizona.

Skillsoft (E-Learning for Business Skills & IT Certification - SkillSoft - calendar.skillsoft.com): I honestly hate their run of the mill CBT stuff. However, their live online training is pretty good. I used this for CCSP studies.

Training Camp ([url]www.trainingcamp.com):[/url] I did my CISSP through in Northern VA. I cannot remember the instructors last name... first name was Mark, and he was fantasic.

However, let us know what you are looking to be trained in. While training companies offer lots of courses, it typically comes down to the instructor, which means some will have better training on some products, etc.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Stiltz79Stiltz79 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer to get training through classes at one of my local universities. It tends to be cheaper than training through somwhere like New Horizons or something like that.
  • Options

• Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Xcluziv,

Please, save your money and do NOT attend New Horizons. It's the worst boot camp type of training that I've ever paid for in my life and I'm stuck paying it for a very long time (9k) more on the loan. How many classes did I take? 1. How many certifications did I get by using them? 0. How many certifications have I gotten on my own and spent less than 1,000$ combined to study and pay for the tests? 4.

Please, please, please save your money. It's the biggest money hole known to man - if this doesn't convince you... read their contract IN DEPTH. After you even start one course, you automatically lose around 25%-50% of your money in regards to refunds. I still have vouchers that I can use with them with the CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCITP:SA (it was MCSA until I told them to make it a more current track), and MCSE as well as the courses to attend but I can tell you that CBT's are MUCH better than these classes.

If your company is paying - do what you will but I'm telling you from my experience... New Horizon's is terrible hands down.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    advanex1 wrote: »
    Xcluziv,

Please, save your money and do NOT attend New Horizons. It's the worst boot camp type of training that I've ever paid for in my life and I'm stuck paying it for a very long time (9k) more on the loan. How many classes did I take? 1. How many certifications did I get by using them? 0. How many certifications have I gotten on my own and spent less than 1,000$ combined to study and pay for the tests? 4.

Please, please, please save your money. It's the biggest money hole known to man - if this doesn't convince you... read their contract IN DEPTH. After you even start one course, you automatically lose around 25%-50% of your money in regards to refunds. I still have vouchers that I can use with them with the CCNA, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCITP:SA (it was MCSA until I told them to make it a more current track), and MCSE as well as the courses to attend but I can tell you that CBT's are MUCH better than these classes.

If your company is paying - do what you will but I'm telling you from my experience... New Horizon's is terrible hands down.

Okay...thanks! Yes, my company is paying. I just posted those classes to show the type of classes I was interested in taking, that's all....none have been chosen yet. Still searching

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would tend to agree with advanex1's statements. I haven't attended New Horizon's myself, but a colleague did and had a bad experience. They are my Prometric training center and I know the scheduler/receptionist fairly well... from what I have seen in the lobby and what she has said, don't go there.

Maybe consider a graduate certificate program... I see you have a BS... a certificate program is a smaller commitment than a masters degree and usually will roll right into one if you wish to continue. That is what got me started at UMUC... George Washington University also has one. Check into a few and see if your employer might go that route.

If that is a no go or you still want to pursue this sort of training, I would check out Interface Technical Training for Sharepoint. Also, developer courses are very popular at universities. My university had a VB.net course back in the day that I took as an elective. The local community colleges tend to have plenty, as well.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with advanex1's statements. I haven't attended New Horizon's myself, but a colleague did and had a bad experience. They are my Prometric training center and I know the scheduler/receptionist fairly well... from what I have seen in the lobby and what she has said, don't go there.

Maybe consider a graduate certificate program... I see you have a BS... a certificate program is a smaller commitment than a masters degree and usually will roll right into one if you wish to continue. That is what got me started at UMUC... George Washington University also has one. Check into a few and see if your employer might go that route.

If that is a no go or you still want to pursue this sort of training, I would check out Interface Technical Training for Sharepoint. Also, developer courses are very popular at universities. My university had a VB.net course back in the day that I took as an elective. The local community colleges tend to have plenty, as well.

Gotcha! I wasn't looking for any school courses. Just training courses. will check to see if they have any training courses available at universities nearby. I know Emory did, but they did not have what I was looking for

• Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Global Knowledge is excellent; I believe they have a facility in Atlanta. I have always had a top-notch instructor, usually they are independent contractors who also consult in the field in their area of expertise. We have used them for MS, VMware, and Cisco training and have had great results each time.

New Horizons is hit or miss. We had an instructor at our local NH that was phenomenal. I think he finally left because NH sucks donkey ass.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Global Knowledge is excellent; I believe they have a facility in Atlanta. I have always had a top-notch instructor, usually they are independent contractors who also consult in the field in their area of expertise. We have used them for MS, VMware, and Cisco training and have had great results each time.

New Horizons is hit or miss. We had an instructor at our local NH that was phenomenal. I think he finally left because NH sucks donkey ass.

+1

Thanks man! Seemed that GK had some pretty good classes...at least the ones I was interested in taking. Will look further into it. Sent those to my manager so I will see what decision is made

• Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In Atlanta you may want to check out CED Solutions. I've done some training with them and it went well. They do a lot of military and DOD training.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management