Options

I have a Bachelors (and a Masters) in other fields but should I go back for AA in IT?

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a quick question for everyone here. I have been working on readying myself for the A+ and the Network+ and I plan on having both by the spring. However, my question is am I wasting my time by just going for the certifications and not an actual degree in IT such as a AA or BA? I already have a BS in History and Political Science along with a Masters in Library Science (for which I have beginning to omit from my IT resume). Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    I have a quick question for everyone here. I have been working on readying myself for the A+ and the Network+ and I plan on having both by the spring. However, my question is am I wasting my time by just going for the certifications and not an actual degree in IT such as a AA or BA? I already have a BS in History and Political Science along with a Masters in Library Science (for which I have beginning to omit from my IT resume). Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

No, i wouldnt go back to do a degree in IT. Working up to a masters level proves you can work to a high standard already. Also, many in the industry dont have IT specific degrees. Imo theres on a rare occassion where multiple degrees at the same level are worth it. I would concentrate on IT certs.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I have a degree in History. You completed a course of postgraduate study already. Save your precious hard earned money and stay as you are. You already have the benefits of being educated and receiving an education to a high level, thats enough.
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□

I recommend pursuing a B.S. in Computer Science or Information Technology. If you have the time and money available, then research your options. The best combination is possessing a degree in the IT field, IT certs and experience. A technical degree would assist in defeating the competition in the job market.

All depends upon your career goals and what you want to achieve. What are they?

The chances of becoming a proficient software engineer with only a B.S. in History and Political Science are low. You could probably do fine at an entry level help desk or technical support position with A+ and Network+. However, your options would be limited in progressing at your company.

Check out dice.com and review degree requirements. Most employers are requesting a B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology or equivalent. If the employer is set on specific hiring requirements, then you have already eliminated yourself with a B.S. in History.

I am sure most IT professionals on this forum will disagree, and recommend stacking a large amount of IT certs. However, I think you should do both IT certs and an IT degree.

Note: I am in the same situation as you, but different degrees. My B.S. is in Organizational Leadership and M.A. in Homeland Security. I also have no IT certs and no IT experience, which is why I have enrolled in a B.S. in Computer Science with plans on becoming a software engineer, later in life...

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I disagree (unless his real aim is to be a software engineer, which I gather not, since he is going for A+ and N+). Now, I don't think he will have much chance of landing something entry level until he has EITHER certs or an IT degree, but at this time, having already met the basic "have a higher education degree" requirement that many companies will use to filter out applicants, he needs to work on technical training and entry certs. Not to say an AA or BA/BS in technology won't help down the road, but it's not going to help him right now to spend the $$$ on another several years in college either. The exception in my mind would be investing in an AA at a local community college that could double as certification prep and lab "hands-on" with technology.

Firecell wrote: »
    I recommend pursuing a B.S. in Computer Science or Information Technology. If you have the time and money available, then research your options. The best combination is possessing a degree in the IT field, IT certs and experience. A technical degree would assist in defeating the competition in the job market.

All depends upon your career goals and what you want to achieve. What are they?

The chances of becoming a proficient software engineer with only a B.S. in History and Political Science are low. You could probably do fine at an entry level help desk or technical support position with A+ and Network+. However, your options would be limited in progressing at your company.

Check out dice.com and review degree requirements. Most employers are requesting a B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology or equivalent. If the employer is set on specific hiring requirements, then you have already eliminated yourself with a B.S. in History.

I am sure most IT professionals on this forum will disagree, and recommend stacking a large amount of IT certs. However, I think you should do both IT certs and an IT degree.

Note: I am in the same situation as you, but different degrees. My B.S. is in Organizational Leadership and M.A. in Homeland Security. I also have no IT certs and no IT experience, which is why I have enrolled in a B.S. in Computer Science with plans on becoming a software engineer, later in life...

icon_cheers.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're fine without doing anymore education. Now, if you are looking for an excuse to go back to school, just find something that would be interesting and go for it. You can also supplement with certifications, if you wish.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think I would do my search if I were you, there are some schools out there that would only require an additional 30~ credits to get a B.S. in something computer related, if that was the case, sure - I'd get another B.S. in IT.
  • Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am curious how my current job would count as "relevant experience"? I am currently working in a AT&T contracted call center in my hometown and I am basically first tier tech support (along with billing questions aka just crediting people to get them to shut up) such as troubleshooting why people can't call out, text, or receive data on their smartphones. I also do a little voice mail troubleshooting along with changing out SIM and IMEI numbers. Does this count as relevant help desk and/or end user support?