Options

Virtual Machine isolation in vCloud director

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I am just wondering, does anyone know of any other (firewall) products which work on virtual switch level apart from the Nexus and vShield Edge ?

While the Nexus seems to do the job, it isn't quite suitable in our environment (can't really go that deep into details here as it would be just too long / complicated to explain) :)

Today I looked into vShield Edge .. while it seems to do what it says on the tin, the problem is when you have customer (we are service provider) with just a single VM.

When using the isolation mode it means each customer (even with single VMs) will have to get a private IP range obviously, which I guess isn't the biggest issue (although it will be overkill), each customer will also need at least 2 public IPs if 1-to-1 NAT is required.

On top of the 2 public IPs, you have the memory overhead and license costs. As a service provider using VSPP3, you basically pay for the ram allocation of the vShield Edge appliance (at least 256MB) plus the license implication ..... Adding "Edge" for example adds x-amount of points to the per-GB of Ram pricing.

I just don't want to imagine 1000 customer with a single VM and 1000 vShield Edge appliances (eeek).

Are there any other solutions which don't cost an arm and a leg ? I have seen that the Checkpoint appliances for example (don't know pricings yet) works on Port groups, so you got on incoming and one outgoing port group --- that portgroup could easily be used as a direct connection to the External Network but probably isn't quite affordable ...

Plus we need to be able to gain access to SOME SORT of API in order to create / change firewall rules through a webinterface ...

Oh man, I hope my jibbajabba makes sense and people actually understand what I am talking about :p
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you looked into PVLAN to isolate VMs from each other vs. using a firewall/VM?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman