Options

First IT Job. With ISP

LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, all, I have been on Techexams.net since 2007 I think; I just forgot which email I used because I have too many and forgot my password. Anyways, I graduated with a Associates Degree in Network Administration last year. Took a job at Geek Squad making 9.50 an hour(I'm 22).

Then I got a call from Insight Communications, they received my resume from school, I did the personality & technical test, passed those, and then did a written technical test before the actual interview. The job will be Tier 2 Technical Support at Insight Communications which was just bought out by Time Warner Cable(not sure how that will go over) but my starting wage is 15 an hour.

I have the CCENT and I plan on getting the CCNA ASAP to get out of help desk, from what I've heard just from reading is that it's very challenging. Any tips? Hopefully this will be a good opportunity. I start Monday. Wish me luck. Btw, I just bought an iPhone today, converted from Android and I'm loving it! Lol
Working On: eCPPT

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I know when I was with Comcast, most people used the CCNA in an attempt to get off the helpdesk. At Comcast you were looking at least a year of being on the helpdesk before being able to move somewhere else, could be different where you are at (especially since you are Tier 2). Use the experience and keep trucking, Time Warner might not be that bad (if it's like Comcast, it could mean free tv/internet/phone service which was awesome). Again congrats and good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Thanks for the response! Yep. I get free cable, internet, and phone after the first 30 days, so that's exciting. I know it's not going to be a piece of cake, I'll just do my best and get that experience. During the interview he said that many guys with a lot of technical knowledge move on to the NOC from Tier 2. So, I just need to focus on get good at my job! They will reimburse me for certification costs and training. I'm excited. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif

Keep us updated on your new job progress
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    Hello, everyone. As you all know, I started a job with a ISP here in Louisville, KY. I'm going through the last week of my training, I have a final exam tomorrow, and a final role-play; Where my teacher is actually a customer and he grades me based off of this call sheet. I took my first live calls today. I had a customer hang up on me, because I was taking too long on one call, I was very nervous, I knew the answer but 'froze' so to speak. Helpdesk is definitely not easy. I took a total of three calls. First score was like a 40% on the score sheet, next 78%, and the last call I got an 88%...So, making some progress.

My problem with helpdesk is, your answers & ideas have to be quick...I'm the type of person where I have to think things through; It's a transition for me, for sure. So, I'm going to bust my ass then try to get over at the NOC in six months.

All in all, it's a good experience, and will help my troubleshooting skills a lot more. Wish me luck! Any tips for me?

By the way, $10 for 30 Megs isn't a bad deal at all! lol
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Congrats and good luck! icon_cheers.gif
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't worry, you will find out soon enough that most of the problems are the same. When I was at Comcast it would take me 30 minutes to "fix" issues. After a month, most of the problems I was clearing in about 15 minutes with no help. As you gain more experience, the better you will get. Good luck tomorrow!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    You can buy time by having them reboot.

It may even fix the problem.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Lamplight wrote: »
    Hello, everyone. As you all know, I started a job with a ISP here in Louisville, KY. I'm going through the last week of my training, I have a final exam tomorrow, and a final role-play; Where my teacher is actually a customer and he grades me based off of this call sheet. I took my first live calls today. I had a customer hang up on me, because I was taking too long on one call, I was very nervous, I knew the answer but 'froze' so to speak. Helpdesk is definitely not easy. I took a total of three calls. First score was like a 40% on the score sheet, next 78%, and the last call I got an 88%...So, making some progress.

My problem with helpdesk is, your answers & ideas have to be quick...I'm the type of person where I have to think things through; It's a transition for me, for sure. So, I'm going to bust my ass then try to get over at the NOC in six months.

All in all, it's a good experience, and will help my troubleshooting skills a lot more. Wish me luck! Any tips for me?

By the way, $10 for 30 Megs isn't a bad deal at all! lol

Well isn't it a small world. I WORK at the Insight NOC, but tomorrow is my last day. It's a good goal to work towards, let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to talk to you anytime.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    RappellerRappeller Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started on an ISP dialup helpdesk, then I moved to DSL calls also. Very rarely were calls outside of a few specific issues, when they were 90% of the time it was Customer Equipment or user malfunction, but I loved the 10% that no one had seen before. That was my time to shine. it never failed once I saw an issue for the first time it would happen again and the supervisor would have me call the customer back to resolve the issue. If that happend 3 times then I wrote up an addendum to the training manual.
    WGU B.S.IT - Software - Completion Date January, 2015 (Sooner Hopefully)
    Courses Completed - EWB2 CLC1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 WSV1
    Courses Needed - INT1 BOV1 TPV1 QLT1 LAT1 GAC1 HHT1 LET1 ORC1 KET1 IWT1 MGC1 WDV1 KFT1 TWA1 ABV1 ANV1 WPV1 CPW5
    Transferred- BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, IWC1 SSC1, SST1, TSV1
  • Options
    Alright, everybody, update. The main reason I'm updating is I'm getting sick of tech support with customers. They don't understand anything. I'm really good at the job; I fix the problem in about eight minutes(per call). It has helped my communication skills, but it's very frustrating to get yelled at all the time, lol. I'm just not a person that likes to argue about anything, and I feel like that's all this job is. Plus, I'm getting tired of transitional sales.

It's rewarding at times when the customer is nice and is actually appreciative. I just take tons of verbal abuse. And, I was asked by the manager of Tier 2 if I wanted to start training, and floorwalking, in which case I'd deal with more angry people on escalations. But, I can't really handle that. lol

So, should I start looking for a different job? I have been there for eight months, should I stay for a year? Would it look bad if I started looking for a job now?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Might as well start looking now if you aren't happy and don't think there is an possibility of moving up within your current company. It will probably take you a few months to find something and start so you will most likely hit the year mark. Leaving a job like this at the year mark really isn't that unusual. Support is a high turn over position as people either move up and on or get tired of the crap.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Might as well start looking now if you aren't happy and don't think there is an possibility of moving up within your current company. It will probably take you a few months to find something and start so you will most likely hit the year mark. Leaving a job like this at the year mark really isn't that unusual. Support is a high turn over position as people either move up and on or get tired of the crap.

I plan on looking. Plus, I feel like I'm wasting my knowledge at this job. They want to move me up, but in a position I don't feel comfortable in. Where I want to get to is the NOC but there is a two-year wait, from what I'm hearing. My college helped me find this job with career services, so think I may call them to start the search!

Thanks for the response, Networker050184.
  • Options
    healthyboyhealthyboy Banned Posts: 118 ■■□□□□□□□□
    job hopping quick looks bad,

if you feel you are loosing it then hop.
  • Options
    spoonsslickspoonsslick Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congrats on the new job with insight! I hope I get a job once I finish up WGU.