Options

Interview questions

Why is it that in an interview, the interviewer always ask question not relating to the job description. For example, Windows Powershell. Is it another way of saying we don't want to give you the job? I get this a lot and it gets frustrating.

I applied for a desktop support job and nothing was listed in the job description about Windows Powershell. Is Windows Powershell part of systems admin jobs?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    jamesbrownjamesbrown Member Posts: 216
    Guys, I need your response. Thanks.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    If YOU get it a lot, maybe YOU don't understand what the job you're interviewing for involves. How often is "a lot"?
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    I find that Windows Powershell (or any other scripting language) is a huge benefit, even for a desktop support role. There's literally thousands of tasks that you can fix from a distance (provided that you at least know the local administrator credentials of each desktop) with a simple script, or repetitive things that you can automate.

So yes, I don't think that a question like "Do you know Windows Powershell?" is out of place when interviewing for a desktop role.
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Maybe they just want to know what your knowledge level is with it. Or they want to see how you react talking about something you aren't completely confident with which is something you will probably end up doing on the job often. Job descriptions aren't always perfect anyway. They usually list a lot of crap you'll never touch and leave out some of the important stuff. Just role with the punches man.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Maybe they just want to know what your knowledge level is with it. Or they want to see how you react talking about something you aren't completely confident with which is something you will probably end up doing on the job often. Job descriptions aren't always perfect anyway. They usually list a lot of crap you'll never touch and leave out some of the important stuff. Just role with the punches man.

Thanks for your advice. I'm currently studying for the 70-640 exam and thats the only time I ever used Powershell
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Just because it's not in the job description doesn't mean you won't be working with it. If I were to say no to everything that's not in my job description, I don't think I would have a job...
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    An interview, especially a first interview, is the first chance they get to learn who you are and what you know. I don't think it would be too absurd to get a bunch of questions that might not pertain to that job role. They want to get to know you. Maybe there is a systems administrator position open and the powershell question is to see if maybe you would be a better fit for that role because they saw your MCTS?

I can't see someone asking irrelevant questions with the intent to use them to disqualify you. If they don't want to hire you they won't.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Powershell can be useful for a lot of different positions. If companies kept asking me if I knew powershell and I didn't then I'd definitely take some time to study it.

My question to you is: How are you responding to this question? Even if you don't have any experience with powershell you can still show them your eagerness and ability to learn.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Powershell can be useful for a lot of different positions. If companies kept asking me if I knew powershell and I didn't then I'd definitely take some time to study it.

My question to you is: How are you responding to this question? Even if you don't have any experience with powershell you can still show them your eagerness and ability to learn.

I usually tell them that I really don't have work experience but I know what it does. Also, I tell them that I used powershell when studying for my MCTS: Server 2008 R2 AD exam.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You aren't usually going to be able to answer every single question they ask. They are trying to figure out your skill level to see if you're a good fit for their organization. Even if you don't know the answer to every question they ask it provides them the opportunity to guage your thought processes and response to tough situations. When I'm interviewing people I've got a list of questions in front of me that they MUST be able to answer. After that I have a list of questions that helps me guage how advanced they are. If they get through all of those I keep firing away until I find a weak spot to see how easily they are rattled and how being rattled affects their thinking. These are all things a company with solid hiring processes wants to know. In my opinion if you aren't getting run through the ringer you are more likely to be working with a bunch of incompetent idiots. Welcome the opportunity and do the best you can.