Options

Job transition: Recruiting firm experiences

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
Hey guys, I just recently accepted a new job. I'll be moving to a new state. Old job is NOC Technician, new job is application tools analyst (specifically geared towards fixing problems with SSO application integration). My current job is through a recruiting firm, which I won't specifically mention right now because I'm about to describe a potentially negative experience (I will be naming them if I get burned). My new job is a direct hire job going directly through the employer (no recruiting firm).

The new job pays about $2.50/hour more than I'm making right now, which is great - but the real reason I'm moving on is that the company I'm contracted out for (was supposed to be a contract-to-hire position) has been sold to a bigger MSO. All contract-to-hire has been frozen indefinitely to contract. I'm concerned for my family's financial security, hence the job transition. I didn't want to do it, my current job is great.....but family comes first.

So I let the company I'm contracted out for know informally that I will be quitting in 3 weeks. My boss's boss let the recruiting firm know. This morning I got an angry voicemail from the recruiter I'm working with saying that I've put them in an awkward position because I gave the "client" notice, but haven't done so for the recruiting firm. The thing is, though, I have not given formal notice yet.

Now I'm concerned that the recruiting firm may fire me and not permit me to work the remaining 3 weeks. If that happens, my family will suffer. I returned the recruiters voicemail with a phone call, but he didn't answer and a voicemail was left. Any tips on what I should say before he calls again?

I'll let you guys know how this turns out.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The recruiter still wants to keep good relations with their client and will need the time to find a replacement anyways. Just explain to them the situation and that you had planned on providing them both a formal notice at the same time.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. The recruiter still wants to keep good relations with their client and will need the time to find a replacement anyways. Just explain to them the situation and that you had planned on providing them both a formal notice at the same time.

I have made a lot of friends and connects in IT and most are with Account Managers and Recruiters. They know better than to slam you, that will only make them look bad. They acted out of emotion not fact. They will get it together and change their tune. Besides the only way I can see your current employer letting you go early is if you aren't valued that much. *****Sorry for being blunt but I don't really know any other way of putting it.

Overall I personally think you did the right thing by trying to synch up with your recruiter. You showed class, something the recruiter may learn.
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Now I'm concerned that the recruiting firm may fire me and not permit me to work the remaining 3 weeks

All you did was give them a heads up, and there is nothing wrong with that. The only thing I could see being an issue is if the recruiting firm requires more than a 2 week notice. I have seen a 30 day notices required for more "specialized" fields. I am sure the contract you signed states the information on resignation.

You have to also see that recruiters are like anybody else, they want to set it and forget it. Now he/she has actual "work" to do finding a replacement, not only find someone but has a time frame to find said qualified candidate. N2 was right, They acted out of emotion not fact, gut reaction that was not professional and I am sure you will get an apology when he/she comes to their senses.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Well guys I guess my fears were without real basis. The recruiting firm is dealing with multiple people leaving the company I work for because of the buyout, so I can see how that would be stressful. I explained that I'd not given any formal notice and apologized for the awkward situation. Everything is ok.

Lesson of the day: if you are working through a staffing firm of some sort and plan on quitting, give the staffing/recruiting firm notice first and ask them if they would like to give the company notice or would rather have you do it.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Glad it turned out OK. Live and learn. That's what is all about.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Glad everything turned out ok for you!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the future, I think the best route would be to contact the recruiting firm first so that they can manage it through their relationships. It really isn't that big of a deal, but if you want to maintain the best relations with the firm for potential opportunities in the future, try and keep them happy. I had to do the same when I left my last job for my current job, but it was actually much less notice and I had not been working for the client very long. Essentially, I could not pass on the great opportunity that I now have with a very long-term and stable contract making a ton more money and moving me into a huge enterprise environment. The contract I was on was indefinite and rather unstable... lower pay than my prior job and worse benefits, as well... but it was pay and for a decent company.

Unfortunately, I worry that these sorts of situations may be irreconcilable based on the recruiting firm and, more so, the attitude of the specific recruiters involved. I really felt bad about my situation based on the client and the fact that I had worked with the recruiter in the past, as well. The potential fallout is that the recruiter may never work with you again... which stinks if they are consistent with good opportunities.

I guess the moral of the story is to try and never burn bridges... sometimes it is inevitable, but do your best.

Best wishes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro