Options

Online Degrees and Jobs?

pennywaltzpennywaltz Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

So I am currently in the Public Health field and I want to transition over to computer science (perhaps combine the two fields in health informatics or just go into the CS field). I am looking at Franklin University (which has been discussed on this board) and university of maryland university college computer science program. Since I already have a BA and a MAsters, I am planning to take a few prereqs at the undergrad level and apply to a online CS program focusing in Software Engineering.

So my question is, how marketable are online CS degrees for jobs? Perhaps in working for big companies (like Microsoft or Google).

I know for Public Health, it's not really recognized. But I do not know what the Computing field is like, so I figure I would ask here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Okason1Okason1 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PennyWaltz, there is actually a distinction between an University that offers pure Online programs and an University that offers some of its classes online. In your case it might be better to take the later because there are some classes that are best suited for a face to face instruction and then there are many that you can opt to take online. As for marketability in IT nothing beats hands on experience. However to get the experience you need to get your foot in the door of an IT dept and that is what Degree and Certs helps you to do.

A curriculum based computer science degree (undergrad or grad) prepares you for entry level programming job with or without prior work experience. As for working for Google or Microsoft, you have two routes to them, get a CS degree from Stanford, MIT or the likes or graduate from any colleges and use a few years of work experience to grasp and demonstrate a strong mastery of a particular technology or programming language. In your case university of Maryland university college computer science program is probably better, at least it only requires one sentence to introduce since everyone knows where Maryland is located versus having to answer all the follow up questions when you mention Franklin University.

Good-luck it takes hard-work and unwavering focus to excel in any field, IT included.
  • Options
    pennywaltzpennywaltz Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, looking at that, The MS program I was thinking about does not include certifications. I think the certification would standardize the education (i.e a person with this cert should know x, y z). I rather have another Masters than Bachelors, but WGU as you know offer the cert...

I am unsure which would be make me more marketable (MS program without cert vs WGU with cert)... both programs would take me most likely about 2 years to finish.. maybe the MS a bit more since I have to take the prereqs., since the only programming experience I have is Basic SQL, HTML and SAS (Stats program that is used a lot on the health industry).
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    You should be able to do some self study and do the certifications yourself if you really need them once you have the degree
    or while you are doing it.

Practical experience will make you more marketable than just having multiple degrees.

Do the course but get a fewdevelopment books, work through them.

I'd get an android dev book, download the sdk from google and start learning how to make an app or few.
    Much more impressive for an employer to see something you have made yourself during an interview than just multiple pieces of paper.

Or if you prefer iphone cough up for an apple developer license $99 and sign up to make iphone apps
    or mac apps. Or windows phone 7.

Or download a c compiler or install python on your computer, get a few books and start making programs.
    python is easier to start with than c or java.
    Python Programming - Wikibooks, open books for an open world
    How to Think Like a Computer Scientist — How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python v2nd Edition documentation
    Python - Notes

Or a arduino book and microcontroller board/kit from spark fun
    arduino is a cross between c and java that simplifies microcontroller development
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10173
    Arduino - HomePageArduino - Getting Started
    Getting Started with Arduino - SparkFun ElectronicsPractical Arduino - SparkFun Electronics

Or (bit more EE than CS) get a fpga board from digilentinc.com (nexys3 is quite good or atlys), get a digital design book,
    learn vhdl or verilog and "code" some hardware.
    You write hdl - hardware description language , which gets turned into parallel circuits.

Programming isn't hard, anyone can do it if taught to think through the steps in a logical way and follow a process.
    What is harder is to learn proper design, testing and debugging skills.

before you start another degree you might want to see if you actually like software development
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    mcjon77mcjon77 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pennywaltz,

Since you are going into a software engineering concentration, I would not worry about certs at all. Certs are important in the network/security/sys admin world, but not nearly as much for application developers/software engineers. As a new hire in the field, your degree will be VASTLY more important than any cert.

Also, particularly for web & mobile application developers, having a portfolio of your work is important. It doesn't have to be something you did for hire (although that is better), but it should demonstrate your skill. So if you are interested in doing mobile app development, having a portfolio where a potential employer can see examples of some mobile apps you created (and perhaps look at the code) will go a long way. This is actually a significant change in the industry from when I got into it 11 years ago. Back then, no one expected a programmer to have a portfolio of apps to show their prospective employer.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    Get MSc from a good university (choose the best you can), and do certs on the side...do certs that compliment your already existing experience
    pennywaltz wrote: »
    Also, looking at that, The MS program I was thinking about does not include certifications. I think the certification would standardize the education (i.e a person with this cert should know x, y z). I rather have another Masters than Bachelors, but WGU as you know offer the cert...

I am unsure which would be make me more marketable (MS program without cert vs WGU with cert)... both programs would take me most likely about 2 years to finish.. maybe the MS a bit more since I have to take the prereqs., since the only programming experience I have is Basic SQL, HTML and SAS (Stats program that is used a lot on the health industry).
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com