Options

Interesting College Credit values

advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
I kind laughed, not downplaying the A+ as I want to get it just to round myself out and give me a good refresher and study on hardware and software. However, I'm a little turned off by my local CC's values assigned to certain certifications - they are as follows:

A+ - CIS 110, CTS 120, NOS 110, NET 110, SEC 110, NOS 220 - 18 total credit hours

Net+ - None given
CCNA - NET 125, 126, 225, 226 - Total of 12 credit hours
Security+ - SEC 110 - Total of 3 hours

They are willing to give a total of 18 total credit hours for A+ whereas I would only receive 15 for my other 3-4 certifications combined. I feel sort of cheated. I understand the A+ covers a broad range of materials, but I surely didn't think it would be worth that much combined into one. Guess it wouldn't be so bad to go grab it up for this reason as well.

Was just curious if anyone else has ran into this as well.
Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, that seems a little out of whack... but you will consistently find the irregularity in one form or another in these situations. Part of the reason I passed on WGU for the MSISA (beyond the customer service trailing off) was that they A) didn't want to accept my Network+ because it was over five years since I attained it, and B) wouldn't consider waiving it due to my more recent CCNA. They have now changed the program, but I have already moved on...

I would reconsider their program if they would allow transfer credit from other accredited MS programs, but they don't do that either... maybe when it is too late for me. :)

Overall, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You have the certs and it appears that you have tons of credits waived because of them. I would be happy with that and proceed with excellence in completing the program.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Many WGU students are given six credits for A+ (3 CUs per exam.) In my case, both A+ and Network+ were responsible for getting a WGU IT scholarship, as those were the only certs I had prior to enrolling in WGU. Everything else in my cert list was post WGU.

Since I had taken A+ almost 5 years prior to applying to WGU, I had to enroll quickly in order for me not having to retake A+ (when it was still lifetime.) There was no way in Hades I would be doing that again...

Is A+ really worth 18 credits by itself though? Or do you get an additional three credits to make it 18 with your other certs?
  • Options
    Power, you're right. I'm not too worried about it, just a little perturbed. I do have some of those credits already waived through the MOS training that I currently have anyways. It's alright though. I don't think picking up an A+ will set me back as I'm kind of in limbo in regards to getting my CCNP right now due to mission requirements over here in Iraq. I actually don't have the access to all the hardware I need here for the CCNP - A+ wouldn't be a bad filler to keep myself busy while I continue configuring on GNS3. The issue with GNS3 are my NAT pools currently, it crashes the router every time and the switching is poor on GNS3 unless I'm missing something.

Erp, you said you received a WGU scholarship? I'll have to try and look into that. If you have any extra information on that I'd be very interested.

All in all, my plan is to finish up my AAS: Networking Technology and then apply to WGU afterwards, it's cheaper and I can knock out more classes (due to cost per CU at WGU as opposed to cost per credit hour at the local CC)/certs in the mean time doing community college with TA from the Army.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Look at the bottom of this post for that scholarship info. Besides, that TA money should help you with WGU considerably. I will tell you that if you are gunning for WGU, you'll want to get A+ sooner rather than later. When you get it will be completely up to you, of course.

I don't think you'll get $600 a term anymore though as they seemed to have replaced it with some other scholarships, but they have others available. But it's in my sig at the bottom regardless.
  • Options
    Erp,Thanks for the link and the info! I'll definitely look into it and I have plenty of time for the A+, I still have a few months before I finish out my AAS. I should be able to knock out the A+ in a month or so as long as I have a testing center. The only thing is, with TA it's 4500 a year and WGU charges 350 per CU, that's only about 12 CU's per year, I'm not a fan of paying money if I don't have to so that's why I'm trying to knock out as many pre-req's as I can before... If I'm already getting certifications paid for and they count as CU's/Credits then why not do them now, right?Definitely looking forward to a Bachelors before my last 3 years in the Army is up though, I would have accomplished more in those/these 6 years than my entire life, definitely proud of myself.Appreciate the help again!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you would be well served to review WGU's cost model. It is a flat fee per semester (with the opportunity for some concessions) and you are at liberty to complete more coursework than you initially register if you have the time and desire.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    I think you would be well served to review WGU's cost model. It is a flat fee per semester (with the opportunity for some concessions) and you are at liberty to complete more coursework than you initially register if you have the time and desire.

Power, I certainly will. Thank you for the suggestions they truly are apreciated. Maybe I just don't understand it in terms of how it works with TA. From initial looks, it said 350$ would be paid per CU. I'll look into/ask my education counselor in how they pay for this school in particular. If I only have to pay 1000$ or so extra to get my bachelors or be able to do a full year's worth of schooling, that's fine by me.