Options

Network Engineer vs. Systems Engineer

I wanted to post to get some input on my current job situation. Some background first...

I started off like a lot of us - a tier 1 help desk job. I eventually moved to a tier 2 position and a few other positions when I landed a senior level engineering position for a small managed service provider. I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with the MSP market, but looking back on it I almost feel like I got the position because my salary range was right for them. For the work that our team did, it was more a job for close to the 6 figure range.

A little bit about the position... we handled everything. I mean EVERYTHING. If it wasn't a broken printer or an IBM AS/400 (company speciality) we did it. On a day to day basis we were SAN admins, server admins, etc. Our team (3 of us) built a vSphere environment, built a multi-tenant RDS cloud, virtualized various companies infrastructures, managed a data vault, etc. We easily worked 80 hours a week. When I interviewed I remember my former boss saying that some candidates were out of the running just because of their salary requirements, and I understand it now because it really was a job where I should have been making a bit more than I was. But hey, it was GREAT experience and I had loads of fun doing it.

All while this is going on, I am finishing up my WGU studies. I got my CCNA and CCNA:Security, with the intent to move my career down the networking path.

One thing that I've learned about the small-medium business world is that, generally, they do not use Cisco. At least in the Atlanta area, I would say that close to 95% of the customers I worked with use Sonicwall. And to be honest, it makes sense for them. If a MSP can get someone Sonicwall certified (open book btw) they get really good discounts on the appliances. Most smaller companies have maybe one or two offices, and a Somicwall with a VPN works fine, and the Sonicwall has the optional security features available. Long story short, I didn't get much Cisco experience, although there were a few projects we did with Cisco hardware.

Fast forward to today - I have taken a long term project for a company that is full Cisco. What I am wondering is if the 3+ years of experience that I do have, including what was a pretty high level position, will help me at all trying to move into Cisco. This project is pretty basic, with the majority of the work on troubleshooting VPNs. I almost feel like it's a low level job again, because of some of the questions I am being asked. For example, "How do you do working with customers over the phone?" "Do you have much troubleshooting experience?" I even noticed some things in the configs of the routers that I was not familiar with - looked it up and it looks like we are running an internal MPLS network (not 100% sure though). When I mention this to some of my teammates the answer I get is, "Oh, the tier 3 and 4 guys do that, I don't know." (Wouldn't you want to know and learn!?!?!?)

I am making slightly more at the Cisco position, so I'm not complaining about money.

So I suppose my final question is does my previous experience help at all when trying to land a pure networking job? I know a lot of people post here that they started off at a NOC. Is it reasonable to say that I might need to almost start from the bottom again?

Again, thanks for any responses. If my resume would help I could post it if needed. I appreciate any feedback.

TL;DR

- Have 3+ years of solid systems admin experience, plus a senior level engineering job
- Graduated from WGU, got CCNA and CCNA:Security
- Want to move into full networking job
- Took a Cisco project, but feels low level, only deals with VPNs
- Do I have to start at the bottom again, per se?

Comments

• Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Really interesting to read your post because it sounds like I am following your identical path but a little behind you. I just posted about an interview I have tomorrow which sounds like an opportunity at a job that will be similar, I will be paid a little less and work my ass off and get amazing experience. I am also in the Atlanta area and I am curious what small-medium size business did you work for those 3 years doing 80 hours a week?
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    I worked for ServIT, a company out of the Kennesaw area. Good luck on the interview!
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Hmm, I'm kind of in the same boat so I'd be interested in hearing some of the feedbacks. I have 4+ years of solid system/network admin experience. I managed servers and cisco equipment at all my jobs, but to be honest, I'm a little tired of working with servers and want to move into a position that's purely networking.

However, looking at the job postings, most pure networking job are for big companies that requires staffs solely dedicated to managing their LAN/WAN infrastructure. These big companies usually wants someone with experience managing large network, which I have little exposure to as most of the companies I've wored for are small-medium size (100-300 users).
  • Options
    pham0329 wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm kind of in the same boat so I'd be interested in hearing some of the feedbacks. I have 4+ years of solid system/network admin experience. I managed servers and cisco equipment at all my jobs, but to be honest, I'm a little tired of working with servers and want to move into a position that's purely networking.

However, looking at the job postings, most pure networking job are for big companies that requires staffs solely dedicated to managing their LAN/WAN infrastructure. These big companies usually wants someone with experience managing large network, which I have little exposure to as most of the companies I've wored for are small-medium size (100-300 users).

This is exactly what I am running into to. Most of the networking jobs want 5+ years of solid networking experience which I do not have. I guess I can just keep applying and interviewing and hope someone will give me a chance - I know I could do most of the jobs if given the opportunity, it's just getting that foot in the door.

Just wanted to add - I haven't stopped looking since taking this project position. It's through a staffing agency so I won't feel too bad if something better comes up.
  • Options
    Well, just a small update here...

I am still applying for jobs as the current contract I have is not a permanent position. I applied for a "Network Operations Engineer" (NOC job it seems) last night and received a call back today. So far, so good.

I guess the big part in these situations, at least for me, is career advancement as well as job enjoyment. In my contract job it is pretty much 100% VPN work, and the NOC job would give me more exposure to all around networking. The pay sounds similar, but the NOC position is a permanent job with benefits, etc. From what I am hearing so far it sounds like a good trade off, if it gets that far.

We shall see how it goes. Time for more ROUTE studying...
  • Options
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    Well, just a small update here...

I am still applying for jobs as the current contract I have is not a permanent position. I applied for a "Network Operations Engineer" (NOC job it seems) last night and received a call back today. So far, so good.

I guess the big part in these situations, at least for me, is career advancement as well as job enjoyment. In my contract job it is pretty much 100% VPN work, and the NOC job would give me more exposure to all around networking. The pay sounds similar, but the NOC position is a permanent job with benefits, etc. From what I am hearing so far it sounds like a good trade off, if it gets that far.

We shall see how it goes. Time for more ROUTE studying...

Hey Wrwarwick,

If you are looking for a job that is just networking and you want to travel the place I am currently working needs full time network engineers in the field.

Hit me up with a PM or just reply and ill fill you in with some details.
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wrwarwick wrote: »

At least in the Atlanta area, I would say that close to 95% of the customers I worked with use Sonicwall.

Is this really true?

Is there a Sonicwall certification available?

I have plans to move to the Atlanta area in 2013.
  • Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Firecell wrote: »

Remember, this was only for the SMB market. Also, the Sonicwall cert is more of a sales pitch if I understand correctly. It's open book, and you get some crazy discounts when you pass.
  • Options
    Yeah that's my impression of it also, Ill probably get it eventually just for the discount purpose. We use some sonicwalls where I work for our hotspots, we used to have them as gateways but they are shitty gateways, so we really only use them as firewalls when needed. Mainly just TZ-170's and TZ 200's