Options

Interview Tomorrow

PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Long time lurker and posted here and there over the past couple yearsicon_cool.gif

Hey guys idk if this will be seen before my interview tomorrow, but I just wanted to get everyone's input before I go.

A little background first,
I started a little less than 2 years ago at a NOC and have gotten tons of experience, I also have traveled part time with them to set up various wired and wireless networks from restaurants to 200 AP's at a hotel.

Almost 1 year ago I started WGU, I have since earned 5 Certs and am about 1 year away from finishing.

I felt at my current position (Since they don't promote from within and very few if any raises are given out) that I have learned about all I can and will not be progressing and did not want to become stagnant, so I put my resume out there and submitted to all the major job sites. Out of the blue today I received a call from the VP of IT company in my city and they saw my resume on Monster and wanted to talk to me about a position.
I called him back and we set up an interview for tomorrow at 5pm. It is for a network engineer position traveling 50ish% and setting up major hotels and resorts, and the rest will be telecommute supporting local businesses and their networks and servers.

So I am both excited and nervous and just wanted to put this out there for you all. I did research on the company and have prepared several questions to ask in the interview tomorrow.

Any insight, tips, or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Go get it! Best of luck.
  • Options
    wrwarwickwrwarwick Member Posts: 104
    Again, good luck on the interview. Too bad you're not graduating earlier, the WGU winter commencement is in Atlanta this time.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, Yeah I just checked WGU's site and saw that. I had no idea any WGU events were held here, so that's pretty cool. Maybe I will see you at one. Also the company I am meeting with is Altuscio Networks Atlanta IT Computer Support Company
  • Options
    Thanks guys, Yeah I just checked WGU's site and saw that. I had no idea any WGU events were held here, so that's pretty cool. Maybe I will see you at one. Also the company I am meeting with is Altuscio Networks Atlanta IT Computer Support Company

It's the first time they are doing it as far as I know. I just submitted my capstone last night... Just waiting for it back then degree! Woohoo!

I'll check out the company.
  • Options
    It looks similar to some of the other jobs I worked for in the MSP arena. I worked for another company, DynaSis, out of Roswell and ServIT out of Kennesaw.

One thing that I have found about the companies is they are usually smaller, so not as much chance to move up internally. Although, like you said, if you are good at what you do you usually get a lot of options and freedom. You can learn a lot since they usually don't hire a bunch of people but instead rely on those people that they have. You end up being the entire IT shop for a company so you do everything from help desk up to designing new solutions for them, etc.

Wish ya luck man. Go get it.
  • Options
    geek12geek12 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck and be confident!
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Hey fellow ATLer! Good lock with your interview, let us know what happens!

wrwarwick, how was your experience with servit? I have seen some positions come across with them, it would be nice since I am in Kennesaw.
  • Options
    ServIT was great - learned a lot and got to work with a lot of cool technologies. We did work a bunch though, easily 70 - 80 hours a week. There were sometimes when I disagreed with some of the business decisions, but that is everywhere right?

PM me if you have any specific questions.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    It's the first time they are doing it as far as I know. I just submitted my capstone last night... Just waiting for it back then degree! Woohoo!.

I turned mine in Friday and it was graded on Monday. They've been pretty quick lately.
  • Options
    Update:

So I met with the VP of the company, it is only 15~ employees. There is 1 full time installer and he does all the network installations travels all over and they are expanding a lot and need more installers to keep up with demand.

Interview went really well he seemed impressed with me and I had some good questions for him and I answered all of his questions thoroughly.

I made a pro and cons list this evening. My only big concern is that I would get thrown to the wolves and have a lot of responsibilities and technology that I am not familiar with and be expected to do everything like a pro. This would be a great opportunity and I am a very fast learner and study on my own all the time and love to learn new things so I feel like if I was given the opportunity to learn and grow with them it would be a great fit, but if they want to hire a jack of all trades who knows everything right off the bat im not so sure it will work.
  • Options
    wrwarwick wrote: »
    ServIT was great - learned a lot and got to work with a lot of cool technologies. We did work a bunch though, easily 70 - 80 hours a week. There were sometimes when I disagreed with some of the business decisions, but that is everywhere right?

PM me if you have any specific questions.

70-80 hours a week?? Was this salary? or did you get the benefit of time and half? I assume you aren't there anymore because the pay wasn't what you wanted, though.
  • Options
    My only big concern is that I would get thrown to the wolves and have a lot of responsibilities and technology that I am not familiar with and be expected to do everything like a pro.

That is the best way to learn! Go get 'em! keep us updated.
  • Options
    Devilry wrote: »
    That is the best way to learn! Go get 'em! keep us updated.

Yeah I agree, but isn't it a fast way to get fired too? Do you think I should really just push for the position and then Google and study my way through everything I don't know and try and learn as fast as possible. Or is it more likely that I wont be able to do the work they require right away and that's a bust?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I agree, but isn't it a fast way to get fired too? Do you think I should really just push for the position and then Google and study my way through everything I don't know and try and learn as fast as possible. Or is it more likely that I wont be able to do the work they require right away and that's a bust?

The best way to get fired is for NOT trying. I would rather work with someone who has initiative and not afraid to mess up (provided, of course, that he/she learns from the experience), then having to work with someone who needs to be spoon-fed what he/she needs to do his job. That's not to say you should be afraid to ask questions, but at some point, you're expected to spread your wings and fly.

The ones who are successful in IT are the ones who take initiative. That's true in every job, but in Information Technology especially. If you stay under the radar, you will be left there.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The best way to get fired is for NOT trying. I would rather work with someone who has initiative and not afraid to mess up (provided, of course, that he/she learns from the experience), then having to work with someone who needs to be spoon-fed what he/she needs to do his job. That's not to say you should be afraid to ask questions, but at some point, you're expected to spread your wings and fly.

The ones who are successful in IT are the ones who take initiative. That's true in every job, but in Information Technology especially. If you stay under the radar, you will be left there.

I would agree with this, as my answer to your quesiton.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Long time lurker and posted here and there over the past couple yearsicon_cool.gif

Hey guys idk if this will be seen before my interview tomorrow, but I just wanted to get everyone's input before I go.

A little background first,
    I started a little less than 2 years ago at a NOC and have gotten tons of experience, I also have traveled part time with them to set up various wired and wireless networks from restaurants to 200 AP's at a hotel.

Almost 1 year ago I started WGU, I have since earned 5 Certs and am about 1 year away from finishing.

I felt at my current position (Since they don't promote from within and very few if any raises are given out) that I have learned about all I can and will not be progressing and did not want to become stagnant, so I put my resume out there and submitted to all the major job sites. Out of the blue today I received a call from the VP of IT company in my city and they saw my resume on Monster and wanted to talk to me about a position.
    I called him back and we set up an interview for tomorrow at 5pm. It is for a network engineer position traveling 50ish% and setting up major hotels and resorts, and the rest will be telecommute supporting local businesses and their networks and servers.

So I am both excited and nervous and just wanted to put this out there for you all. I did research on the company and have prepared several questions to ask in the interview tomorrow.

Any insight, tips, or advice would be appreciated.

You want to get your technical ability over, but mostly important is your ability to work autonomously, handle things and get the job done.
  • Options
    OK, so it looks like I just need to man up and bust my ass at this job and learn everything I can and stop worrying so much about it. I will be sending another follow up email to the VP. Ill let you guys know what happens. Thanks
  • Options
    ... bust my ass at this job and learn everything I can and stop worrying so much about it.

That's the spirit!

Can't wait to hear some good news from ya.