Options

Finally decided my path which is IT Management.

Decided what I want to do finally. IT management is my goal and I am just wondering if an IT management degree will be enough or if I should get extra certs? I know I want to be in the technical field, but I want to manage people doing the technical things. Any IT managers out there want to give me their advice?

Comments

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    ITIL would be a good one to go after.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Decided what I want to do finally. IT management is my goal and I am just wondering if an IT management degree will be enough or if I should get extra certs? I know I want to be in the technical field, but I want to manage people doing the technical things. Any IT managers out there want to give me their advice?

A worthy goal. Certifications and a degree will be useful, but mostly work experience and being part of a team. Also watch how managers manage. A lot of people think it's easy to manage well, which is why so many people move into it and why there are so many crap managers. Being a good manager requires intelligence, nouce and discretion, a lot of savvy about people and leadership qualities. There are relatively very few really good managers and some of the worst are very well qualified!