Options

Promotion and raise

HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
Well after a little over 6 months at this new job I was informed today that I will be receiving a 10% increase in salary and a promotion/change in title/duties. I'll be going from support engineer to lead support engineer and trainer. While this doesn't sound glamorous, the conversation I had with my boss over lunch today was that as soon as they can find someone to fill the lower spot i'll be moved to a project implementation engineer, which brings more pay and is more in line with what i'd like to do which is an architecture type role.

All in all, i'm loving this job and the people I work with. Just wanted to share as i'm pretty dang giddy right now. :D
WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Well after a little over 6 months at this new job I was informed today that I will be receiving a 10% increase in salary and a promotion/change in title/duties. I'll be going from support engineer to lead support engineer and trainer. While this doesn't sound glamorous, the conversation I had with my boss over lunch today was that as soon as they can find someone to fill the lower spot i'll be moved to a project implementation engineer, which brings more pay and is more in line with what i'd like to do which is an architecture type role.

All in all, i'm loving this job and the people I work with. Just wanted to share as i'm pretty dang giddy right now. :D

Awesome work!

10% is huge and the lead role will really give you some additional experience. Gratz!
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    That's awesome man! Congrats icon_cheers.gif

If you don't mind me asking, is this promotion/raise on par with a ~2 year time period in the previous role? It seems, from what I've seen, that promotions come every 2-3 years
  • Options
    Well where I am right now is a huge step up from where I was previously. While my title is support engineer, it should be a lot closer to Jr. Sys admin as that's more in line with what I do now. But this comes after six months and from what i've been told I can expect (provided revenue keeps up) another step up the ladder in around the same time frame. Then again in six months i've trained five people, got our backups for over one hundred clients working as they're supposed to, and have gone through and updated most of our documentation to where it was always supposed to be. Never shown up late, called in sick, and constantly make suggestions for implementations on how to improve our processes to maximize our job roles.

The main difference is this is a small business, it seems a lot easier to move up here than it did in a corporate environment. The CEO is two doors down from me, he actually can see what I contribute, vs a larger company where the people two steps above you have never heard your name.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. 10% is probably a decent amount for a promotion. Maybe a little high considering that you are staying with the same company.

Keep up the good work
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Congrats icon_smile.gif
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz bro!!!!icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    You must be doing something right. Congrats!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    lsud00d wrote: »

It seems, from what I've seen, that promotions come every 2-3 years

Based on what?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! :)
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats! that is great news. keep up the good work.
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Excellent news! Keep shooting for the stars!
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hypntick wrote: »

Good progression. Move away from the operations area holding things together into the space where the new solutions for customers and business are actually worked out and put together. From support to projects is where you need to be..
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! I second what Turgon said. Projects is the place.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! Good job sir.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! Keep doing well!
  • Options
    I figured i'd bump this one with an update. Was just offered the position of support desk supervisor, another 10% increase in pay, a lot more duties, and the freedom to position myself anywhere I would like to be within the growing company. Will be involved in the hiring, evaluation, training, and first point of contact for all issues coming in to our office. It was explained that the supervisory role will fill around 50% of my day to day duties with the other time spent on project implementation and the usual sys. admin stuff I do anyways. On another note, once I finish my MCITP:SA, there will be another raise in there as well.

In accepting this position I have made it clear that while management experience is a nice thing to have, i'd like to still be more on the technical side of the aisle for now. I have been taking a long hard look at security as a possible avenue, working for an MSP we have no security staff, and thought why aren't we offering this service to our clients? I was told to use the time in this new role to cert up, train, and create a security function for myself that I will move to in 6-9 months time, provided the growth is there. Which if this last year has been any indication, will not slow in the least for us.

So there we have it, two 10% raises in 9 months and the promise of creating the department with the specialization of my choice. Considering i've not treated this job any differently than the others i've had, I can only conclude that a growing company is where I needed to be all along. Hope everyone's day has been as good as mine!
  • Options
    bababooey1bababooey1 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That is one great day!
    Congrats!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats Hypntick!
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Awesome, keep up the good work. ;)
  • Options
    stiltnerstiltner Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    20% bump within 12 months is solid. You got a good employer there that knows the value of your skills and the work you put in. Anytime those two things can see eye to eye, anything is possible with the right amount of effort.

Its employees like that, that employers love, and hate to lose. Not the tongue in cheek "oh we'll miss you", but the "let me bend over so you don't go anywhere" hate to lose :)

If they're letting you carve your own path, then you're working a dream job for sure.