Options

Criminal Record affect job opportunities

phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question for everyone. Would a theft based crime on someone's record cause someone to not be able to get higher level jobs such as Network or Sys Admins??

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    it will always affect you one way or another, crime doesn't pay.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    I see that you're in Minnesota. I guess I need to double check my locks...

I would say that it is very circumstantial. In general, I think it could hinder yourself a bit. They don't want one of the few people incharge of the server room walking out with anything, valuable or not.

If it was from when you were 14 and stole candy cigarettes from the gas station, I would just tell them. (I don't know if 18 and younger show up on a background check, but you get my drift).

Where as if you broke into and stole a car to get to the interview and got pulled over, yes it'll make a difference.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    This really depends on what you were convicted of and when.

If it was a felony theft then good luck...
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I would say that with a theft felony on your record, you're going to have issues no matter what job it is unfortunately.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a question for everyone. Would a theft based crime on someone's record cause someone to not be able to get higher level jobs such as Network or Sys Admins??

I used to hear this lawyer answer legal questions on 93x. He might be able to point you in the right direction, or hopefully answer your question. I posted a link to his site below.
    I would suggest at least giving him a call. Good Luck

Minnesota Criminal Lawyer Ryan Pacyga & Staff | Ryan Pacyga
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It would largely depend on when the crime occurred, and the severity. If you made a stupid mistake as a kid, and it's not a felony, we likely wouldn't have a problem hiring you.

If the conviction was related to information, we likely wouldn't touch you, as secure information management is basically our entire business. If you embezzled money, you might be able to be hired in IT, but you'd never go anywhere near the company expense account or budgeting, which would put a ceiling on your potential for advancement.

But yeah, it really depends on the severity. With the regulations we have to perform under, any kind of felony conviction is pretty much a kiss of death.
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm really just going to have to echo what everyone else is saying here. Depends on the situation and the severity of the crime, also how old you were and how long ago it took place.
    If you chime in with a few more details we might be able to give you some better advice.
  • Options
    davidboydavidboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is it a felony or a misdemeanor? How long ago were you convicted? Have you gotten in any trouble since?

You might want to look into an expungement
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    It all depends.

I actually have a background in law.

Like everyone here says, it depends on when it was and if it was a misdemeanor or felony.

If it was a felony, was it nolle prosequi, first offender? If it was, you are likely eligible for an expungement depending on your states laws.
    A couple things to consider with this method however, even if you go this route it is likely to show up for a little while on private criminal records pulls, because it is stored in their database, they are not pulling directly from state criminal records. If this goes down, when they provide the info that says why they cannot hire you, all you have to do is goto your local sheriffs office and say "see? not accurate"
    In order to get an expungement though, you have to show good moral character and no offenses since that date. Every state is different though.

If its a misdemeanor, I don't think i'd worry much, in some states those fall off after X amount of time.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just giving my own personal opinion and knowledge, please contact a licensed attorney in your state for accurate info.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

Yes / No. It is going to hold you back, without a doubt, but you would be surprised how many people don't actually care. What they care about is that you are not a criminal right now. Lets say you show up to a job interview in a suit and tie, speaking in proper english, and generally presenting yourself in a professional manner - you also have a felonious criminal record. Stack that against a neck tattooed punk who looks like he is about to go into a gang war on his way home - he does NOT have a criminal record. I am hiring the former.

The trick is not to act like a Con. Act like a professional. After 7 or so years it will be hardly an issue anymore since that is about how far back the criminal record checks go.
  • Options
    phenixphyrephenixphyre Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It was 10 years ago and it was a petty misdemeanor. But I was 19 at the time so it will always be on my record.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It was 10 years ago and it was a petty misdemeanor. But I was 19 at the time so it will always be on my record.

You may want to check with your state, but you may be able to have those records sealed or expunged. There is usually paperwork to fill out, and of course some type of payment. Not every offense can be sealed or expunged though, but the state should have a list.
  • Options
    10 years ago? Well, I have never seen an employer ask for more than 7 years past criminal history. But that is just me. So basically you got a petty theft misdemeanor, shoplifting I assume? If they find out, and have a problem with it, move on to the next place, not everyone will have an issue with it, especially small to mid size companies.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Devilry wrote: »
    10 years ago? Well, I have never seen an employer ask for more than 7 years past criminal history. But that is just me. So basically you got a petty theft misdemeanor, shoplifting I assume? If they find out, and have a problem with it, move on to the next place, not everyone will have an issue with it, especially small to mid size companies.

I would still check on sealing and/or expunging the records. I can see a speeding ticket that I had in 2000 online, so companies may not officially check records past a certain date, but depending on how up-to-date your local court system is, all that information may be found with your First and Last name.

Actually, to tell a funny story (not really funny for him). I had a friend that had an extramarital affair, the girl he was with decided to plug in his name into the local courts website...well, she found his marriage license and...well, I will just say, things didn't go so well for him. The point is - and I'm not trying to be pessimistic - but records like that can stick with you for awhile, just check on having them sealed. If you can't have them sealed for whatever reason, make sure that you are honest in interviews, a lot of companies may choose not to hire you, not because of your misdemeanor, but because you lied about it.
  • Options
    I would still check on sealing and/or expunging the records. I can see a speeding ticket that I had in 2000 online, so companies may not officially check records past a certain date, but depending on how up-to-date your local court system is, all that information may be found with your First and Last name.

Actually, to tell a funny story (not really funny for him). I had a friend that had an extramarital affair, the girl he was with decided to plug in his name into the local courts website...well, she found his marriage license and...well, I will just say, things didn't go so well for him. The point is - and I'm not trying to be pessimistic - but records like that can stick with you for awhile, just check on having them sealed. If you can't have them sealed for whatever reason, make sure that you are honest in interviews, a lot of companies may choose not to hire you, not because of your misdemeanor, but because you lied about it.

In every state, as far as I am aware, you may not expunge or seal your records upon a disposition of guilty. Only nolle prosequi, dead docketed is typical. But check your local laws just to find out accurate info. Don't listen to people on forums, most of them have no idea what they are talking about, speak to a licensed attorney.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

We would not be likely to care about a petty theft misdemeanor, though with some employers, any record of theft is an issue.

If it comes up in an interview, just admit to it, tell them you made a dumb mistake, you're embarrassed, and nothing like that has happened since, or will again. Contrition goes a long way.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We would not be likely to care about a petty theft misdemeanor, though with some employers, any record of theft is an issue.

If it comes up in an interview, just admit to it, tell them you made a dumb mistake, you're embarrassed, and nothing like that has happened since, or will again. Contrition goes a long way.

My thoughts exactly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I'm an HR person; I'm not just looking at the severity of the crime; I'm gonna look for any type of behavioral pattern (speeding tickets, altercations, assaults, DUIs, property damage, vandalism, etc.)
    If it's one AND ONLY one small theft during your teenage years and it's a misdemeanor; it shouldn't be a big deal.
    If it's a felony or a series of misdemeanors then it should be a VERY big deal.

Personally; I think that it's wrong to hold someone's past against them-especially when they are trying to change for the better. But our society is very unforgiving and a person needs to be ever so careful of the decisions they make.....
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    This can affect security clearances later down the road (if you do any gov't contracts), but a misdemeanor 10+ years ago...probably not.

I wouldn't worry about it...you're not lying on the application when you don't check the felony conviction box because you were not convicted of a felony (as far as you've told us).
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked with a guy who had a criminal record. He had some pretty severe drug trafficking offences on his record due to being involved with the wrong crowd when he was younger. He was at the wrong place at the wrong time and got busted along with several others.

I was surprised to hear this when he told me and I immediately wondered how he got any job(s) in IT. He told me he was always honest about his past and fessed up to making some huge mistakes when he was younger instead of lying about it or trying to make excuses. One thing he mentioned was troubling though. He told me he could never get over the 50K mark as far as salary goes. It seems like his criminal record has impacted his salary.

All in all, as others have said every situation is unique and depending on the severity of the crime, the circumstances may be different. I just wanted to throw in a real world example.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Difficult. Anyone hiring you would be taking a chance on you which could backfire on them. Society is suspicious of convicted criminals. There may well be agencies and schemes available to help people with records get back into work. Take advantage of them. Other than that, network hard and sell the reformed character look. It is heroic.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly.

That wont always work, but sooner or later someone will give you a break. We all do dumb things in life we regret later on. Some of us just dont get caught and that includes hiring managers.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally not as long as you are honest and up front about it. I always list out my 2 petty misdemeanors (Both speeding for +10 and +11 mph over when I was 18.) Better to be safe than sorry. And ALWAYS read carefully. A friend of mine was rejected because he read the question as "felony" and not "crime" so he didn't confess to his DUI. Of course they found out, and that was that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    That wont always work, but sooner or later someone will give you a break. We all do dumb things in life we regret later on. Some of us just dont get caught and that includes hiring managers.

Correct, being truthful won't always work, but its a lot better than lying and them finding out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Correct, being truthful won't always work, but its a lot better than lying and them finding out.

Yeah. Once you have proved yourself at work, they may feel embarassed for you that they asked. Like I say we all do silly things in life. Move on.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Generally not as long as you are honest and up front about it. I always list out my 2 petty misdemeanors (Both speeding for +10 and +11 mph over when I was 18.) Better to be safe than sorry. And ALWAYS read carefully. A friend of mine was rejected because he read the question as "felony" and not "crime" so he didn't confess to his DUI. Of course they found out, and that was that.

I had some questions raised about speeding tickets once (not +10's). My job had nothing to do with driving, but they still questioned me about it.

To the OP, I think you will be fine as long as you are upfront about it. It all depends though.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I had some questions raised about speeding tickets once (not +10's). My job had nothing to do with driving, but they still questioned me about it.

To the OP, I think you will be fine as long as you are upfront about it. It all depends though.

The Prime Minister of Great Britian has admitted to trying cannibis at University. He just wasn't busted for it. Dont get hung up about things, declare, admit foolishness and move on..
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    My sister has serious felonies (robbery with a weapon) on her record and she has been steadily employed since 2001. Like I said before, don't act like a con, people won't treat you like a con. Don't lie about it either, doesn't mean you have to lead with those facts!
  • Options
    My sister has serious felonies (robbery with a weapon) on her record and she has been steadily employed since 2001. Like I said before, don't act like a con, people won't treat you like a con. Don't lie about it either, doesn't mean you have to lead with those facts!

No that's true. For a bit of self preservation dont advertise it, but if it comes up be ready with a positive response that shows you are a reformed character!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    The Prime Minister of Great Britian has admitted to trying cannibis at University. He just wasn't busted for it. Dont get hung up about things, declare, admit foolishness and move on..

The President of the United States has admitted to trying cocaine during his days at Columbia University. He also wasn't busted for it.

(I knew someone would mention it...might as well have been me. :D)

I agree with the others have said as well....don't act like one, you won't be treated like one. :)