Options

What A Day!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I have been looking for a new job and have been applying, but haven't had a whole lot of responses. Today two phrases came to mind: when it rains, it pours! and never burn bridges. Already posted a thread about the Forensics job that I am interviewing for tomorrow. But this morning I was doing an unrelated search when I came across a job page. On the page they had a listing for a NOC Analyst with Verizon Wireless so I figured they never responded to me before, I'll just go ahead and apply. Low and behold I get a call a few hours later while I was sleeping from their HR Department to schedule an initial phone interview! So tomorrow I have a phone interview at 10 AM and 12 PM (going to be super tired, but what can you do?).

Secondly, I wake up and take a look at my phone to read my email. Here I find an email for a job that I interviewed for just about a year ago at my college. It seems they are looking to fill the position and remembered that I had interviewed in November of last year. I felt the interview went really well and was told that they would contact those who were in the running in December for the second round of interviews. They had also said that they expected to know who would get the position two weeks before Christmas. Two weeks before Christmas, I hadn't heard anything and then got an email saying they were going to do the interviews in the New Year. They stated that we were to reply to the email if we were still interested in the position, so I replied. Two weeks into January and I hadn't heard anything, so I emailed in to get an update and to express a continued interest in the position. I got no reply so I assumed they filled it or perhaps decided they didn't need another team member. My previous experience interviewing at my college was the same deal, though the first time I was told I had the position and that they were waiting on a start date. Two weeks later, no replies to my emails for an update. Flash forward to today and I have a phone interview on Monday!

So moral of the story, keep trucking because eventually you will get a call! Not going to lie, I am leaning towards the position at the college as I can continue to live at home, the place seemed pretty good, the team members (and manager) seemed pretty cool, and free Masters degree :)
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice, wish the same would happen to me! The position with VZW sounds nice, I'd have taken that in an instant. Thats just me.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    So I completed two interviews today and have the last one on Monday. They went as follows:

10 AM - Digital Evidence Tech Interview - Went really well, referred to hiring managers to setup in person interview

12 PM - Verizon Wireless NOC Analyst - It was 12:05 and I hadn't gotten a call from the HR Rep, so I called and left a message. My recall was returned about 10 minutes later asking if I could reschedule for a different time. Though very tired, I wanted to get everything done today so I set it for 5 pm. Made it through that interview and being referred to the hiring managers for an in person interview! I will give them props, they asked the expected salary and told me what the paying salary was. I never understood why companies didn't always do this as you could save yourself the headache of finding out the person wants more money or too much.

My interview for the tech job at the college will be on Monday! All great choices and will definitely require some thought as to what position I will take (if offered all of them). The Verizon one sounds pretty good and the benefits are pretty great, plus it is heavily networking based which would be a nice change from the server side of things. We shall see!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Good work! Hopefully the in person interviews go good as well. You may have some leverage in terms of salary negotiation if you play your cards right and are offered more than 1 of the positions.
  • Options
    effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    If you don't mind me asking, what was the offer you got from Verizon Wireless?
  • Options
    I never quite learned the art of leveraging for a salary increase when getting job offers. Part of the reason is I always felt like if I did they would tell me take a walk (especially in this economy). We shall see!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    So an update on everything thus far. I have an in person interview with the Director on Friday at 10 AM for the forensic position. As far as I can tell, it is more eDiscovery related, but that isn't an issue as that is a great place to start. On Friday, I got a call from one of the NOC Managers (called me at 9:30 PM, which I found was awesome seeing as I am a night worker) and so I have an interview at 4 PM with them on Friday. He also told me I would be on the night shift (either 3 to 11 or 11 to 7am which works for me) and that there would be a 15% night diff for working that shift. He said I could expect to be on that shift from 1 to 2 years, but that a lot of people move up/out of the department fairly quickly. Seems some leave to go into the field to physically work at the cell towers or move up within the NOC. Finally, I had the interview with my college. It appears that the manager I interviewed with before either left or moved up, so the 3rd level tech I had an interview with is now the manager. They never hired for the position and were now looking to fill it. Basic desktop support, with the possibility to work 11am to 7 pm (at first maybe once or twice a week, but may turn into 5 days a week). I felt I might end up with a pay cut if I took this position, so I would really have to weigh the options since I could get free education. We shall see what happens, but I know I will be one tired guy on Friday since I will be leaving from work at 6 am and not getting home till probably 7 pm (after starting at 8 PM on Thursday).
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff