Options

Deciding where to go for bachelor's

ShikeShike Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings,

I'm debating between two schools currently and want people to help me decide/act as sounding board. I'm going to be graduating with an associates in cyber security this fall. My current certifications are CNSS 4011-4016, A+, Net+, and Security+.

I'm debating between OSU IT (which allows online and in-class at my local community college) and WGU. In terms of work experience I have very little only having one job in high school and tutoring for the program at my college which is low considering my age (23). One draw for OSU IT to me is they require an internship which may help offset the lack of work experience some, but WGU sounds good in many ways too.

What do you guys think I should do? All advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Strong1Strong1 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Never heard of OSU IT but I can vouch for WGU. You can't beat WGU for the overall value for the cost if you have the discipline to be a self guided learner. Plus with the certs you already have that will take care of several of your IT requirements.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    WGU is the best bet for the cost. I highly recommend WGU.
  • Options
    PilotrebornPilotreborn Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I agree with the guys here, WGU is great value. Cant go wrong with it if you stick in there.
  • Options
    Mind_SculptorMind_Sculptor Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MIT is a good IT school
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Shike wrote: »
    I'm debating between OSU IT (which allows online and in-class at my local community college) and WGU.

When I think of OSU, I think of Ohio State...(I'm from Jersey....lol). Then I looked to the left and saw you're from Oklahoma....if it was O(hio)SU, I would have said go for that since they have a decent D-1 squad! LMAO.....

However, while I'm sure OK State is a good school, you would more than qualify for WGU's requirements...especially since you have an AS (or will have one!) You can't beat the price for WGU and you'll be able to do a Masters at OSU after WGU if that's what you want.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    WGU gets my vote!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Considering that you are lite on experience, I would start working on finding a job. In particular, look for one with a tuition reimbursement policy so that they can pay for you to finish your BS. Either school will probably be fine. Also, don't rule out other options; UMUC has a BS in Cybersecurity that might be worth looking into, especially if you can get tuition reimbursement.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll try and get setup for WGU and have OSU IT as fallback in case something goes awry.
    powerfool wrote: »
    Considering that you are lite on experience, I would start working on finding a job. In particular, look for one with a tuition reimbursement policy so that they can pay for you to finish your BS. Either school will probably be fine. Also, don't rule out other options; UMUC has a BS in Cybersecurity that might be worth looking into, especially if you can get tuition reimbursement.

Sounds like a good idea. What type of positions would you recommend I look for since I am definitely green behind the ears? Any specific job search sites should I use? Lastly, should I apply anyway even if they generally want someone with experience already?

Sorry for all the questions, but everyone here seems to be well informed and helpful.
  • Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you don't have that much experience, don't underestimate the internship value of OSU IT versus any perceived value you get from attending WGU for less cost/length of time to attain a degree. While internships often do not pay very much (if at all), and sometimes have repetitive tasks, they often place you in a position of importance that looks great on your resume.

For example, in my last position, a young kid (around your age), got an internship to a position as a Systems Administrator. He wasn't responsible for a whole lot by himself, but the important thing is A) he is able to put the "Systems Administrator" title on his resume and B) he was able to shadow the real System Administrators and gain experience. In his case, since he was smart, the System Administrators let him take the helm more often than not while under their watchful eye.

That type of intern experience is invaluable and could allow you to jump the entry level positions (helpdesk tech, noc tech, etc) that a lot of people get stuck in and never recover from. Employers will see your initiative of taking an internship while studying and completing your degree as a good sign that you are highly motivated and worth promoting to a position beyond entry level. Keep that in mind when you are making your decision.
  • Options
    Version4 wrote: »
    It sounds like you don't have that much experience, don't underestimate the internship value of OSU IT versus any perceived value you get from attending WGU for less cost/length of time to attain a degree. While internships often do not pay very much (if at all), and sometimes have repetitive tasks, they often place you in a position of importance that looks great on your resume.

For example, in my last position, a young kid (around your age), got an internship to a position as a Systems Administrator. He wasn't responsible for a whole lot by himself, but the important thing is A) he is able to put the "Systems Administrator" title on his resume and B) he was able to shadow the real System Administrators and gain experience. In his case, since he was smart, the System Administrators let him take the helm more often than not while under their watchful eye.

That type of intern experience is invaluable and could allow you to jump the entry level positions (helpdesk tech, noc tech, etc) that a lot of people get stuck in and never recover from. Employers will see your initiative of taking an internship while studying and completing your degree as a good sign that you are highly motivated and worth promoting to a position beyond entry level. Keep that in mind when you are making your decision.

See, this is the one thing about OSU IT that really had draw to me due to my lack of experience. They do have connections in various industry that could allow me to internship a position that I would most likely end up in, and since it's mandated for graduation it's good.

I guess I'll be discussing it with my parents to help me decide a bit. Thanks to everyone for your advice, it's definitely appreciated.