Cybersecurity Exercise/SYO-301

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
So I participated/won in a recent cybersecurity exercise, and the prize I selected was the CompTIA Security+ digital courseware package and an exam voucher...however I think it's for SYO-301 and not SYO-201.

Who has taken the 301 and what were some good reference materials? The digital courseware I'll be receiving should be pretty good, but I might need some supplemental materials.

Also, my general impression is that Security+ is easier than Linux+...I *know* they are not the same thing, but objectively, what is the general consensus?

Also, can the Security+ build into anything else? I'll be working on more advanced Linux certs coming up, but in the near future probably get some MS certs (build into MCITP) and/or something Cisco oriented.

TIA! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lsud00d wrote: »
    So I participated/won in a recent cybersecurity exercise, and the prize I selected was the CompTIA Security+ digital courseware package and an exam voucher

That's really awesome! You are a good guy and I am glad you won this. There is some value add with this certification and it's free!
    Who has taken the 301 and what were some good reference materials? The digital courseware I'll be receiving should be pretty good, but I might need some supplemental materials.

I sat 201, so I am not sure, but I wouldn't think the material would be that much different. I think this was one of the easier certifications that I have taken. Next to Microsoft Word LOL

Also, my general impression is that Security+ is easier than Linux+...I *know* they are not the same thing, but objectively, what is the general consensus?

I would agree with this. Security + took me about 1 month of studying and I scored around 780-790. Nothing to brag about, but I didn't put a ton of effort in either.
    Also, can the Security+ build into anything else? I'll be working on more advanced Linux certs coming up, but in the near future probably get some MS certs (build into MCITP) and/or something Cisco oriented.

I know the MCSE + Security + would give you MCSE Security. I am not sure about the MCITP or Cisco. I personally hope you stick to your plans with RHCE or RHSCA.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations on the win!

I haven't taken the Linux+ but I have looked at it and I agree with N2IT that you'll find that Security+ is easier. I just completed a marathon session creating an index for a Security+ book on SY0-301 and I was reminded of how much deeper some of the topics are in 301 than 201, but I'd still say you'll find it easier than Linux+. Especially for someone that just won a cybersecurity exercise!

To supplement your materials, you may like to take a look at some free Security+ tips posted daily on twitter: Security+ Tip Of Day.

Microsoft did give credit for Security+ in the 2003 MCSA and MCSE certifications, but they dropped this in the MCITP certification paths.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    N2IT wrote: »
    That's really awesome! You are a good guy and I am glad you won this. There is some value add with this certification and it's free!

I sat 201, so I am not sure, but I wouldn't think the material would be that much different. I think this was one of the easier certifications that I have taken. Next to Microsoft Word LOL

I would agree with this. Security + took me about 1 month of studying and I scored around 780-790. Nothing to brag about, but I didn't put a ton of effort in either.

I know the MCSE + Security + would give you MCSE Security. I am not sure about the MCITP or Cisco. I personally hope you stick to your plans with RHCE or RHSCA.

Thanks bro! I was really stoked to win the competition and pick out my prize...I was looking at the Security+ while working on the Linux+ so it all works out...I'm really excited to knock it out of the park as soon as possible. I was considering building into the MCSE Security, but is that a moot point now, with the MCS*'s being phased out and MCITP coming to the forefront? I

I think next for Linux will be LPIC-2 and then the RHSCA--thanks for the vote of confidence icon_cheers.gif
    Darril wrote: »
    Congratulations on the win!

I haven't taken the Linux+ but I have looked at it and I agree with N2IT that you'll find that Security+ is easier. I just completed a marathon session creating an index for a Security+ book on SY0-301 and I was reminded of how much deeper some of the topics are in 301 than 201, but I'd still say you'll find it easier than Linux+. Especially for someone that just won a cybersecurity exercise!

To supplement your materials, you may like to take a look at some free Security+ tips posted daily on twitter: Security+ Tip Of Day.

Microsoft did give credit for Security+ in the 2003 MCSA and MCSE certifications, but they dropped this in the MCITP certification paths.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog

Awesome, that's a lot of great information Darril. I've been looking through your blog and there is a lot of informative, relevant articles--and this is why I want to take the 301, and not 201. Sure, the 201 might be easier, but 301 is more abreast in relevancy, which is important to me! So, thank you for writing those articles, and I'll be looking forward to your book on the 301 test!