Options

Energy Savings by Installing Ridge Vent

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
My house is about six years old now and we have had some heavy winds that have damaged some of my shingles. I checked my warranty and the shingles were protected by the home warranty for one year and the shingle manufacturer warranty for 15 years, but only up to 75mph winds. Unfortunately, our winds have been in excess of 75 mph on a handful of occasions. As such, I am looking to replace the shingles (just install them over, as the existing roof is the only layer of shingles) with new shingles that are rated to 115mph (I don't anticipate getting near 115mph, but that should ensure that the shingles won't be damaged by winds).

While I am up there, I would like to install a ridge vent to increase the ventilation in my attic. Currently, there are three of the decorative vents under the eaves just below the ridges, a turbine vent, and some small soffit vents about five feet apart. Has anyone performed this project before and noticed a difference in cooling costs during the summers? This should actually improve ventilation all year round, which is good for keeping the attic dry and it will keep ice dams from developing after snowfall. I also imagine that I will have to increase my soffit ventilation and ensure that the insulation is not obstructing the airflow.

As an additional option, I may install a radiant barrier in my attic to keep radiant heat out in the summers and in during the winters.

Does anyone know of any wizards or online calculators that can estimate energy savings?
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    IndyLovelessIndyLoveless Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't really have a whole lot to add to your post, but just wanted to say hi since you are a fellow Hoosier.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Home owners insurance not covering the replacement?

I would think that adding ventilation to try and decrease cooling costs during the summer would have the effect of increasing heating costs during the winter.

My house is only 4 years old, so really couldn't say on adding ventilation. I did however have a lot of my shingles ripped off by 100MPH+ winds this year. Shingles were only 75MPH like yours. A Tornado came within about 3 miles of my house. Lots of quarter size hail, punched holes in the siding too. Insurance replaced everything.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Home owners insurance not covering the replacement?

I would think that adding ventilation to try and decrease cooling costs during the summer would have the effect of increasing heating costs during the winter.

My house is only 4 years old, so really couldn't say on adding ventilation. I did however have a lot of my shingles ripped off by 100MPH+ winds this year. Shingles were only 75MPH like yours. A Tornado came within about 3 miles of my house. Lots of quarter size hail, punched holes in the siding too. Insurance replaced everything.

Yes, my insurance will being covering, minus my deductible. I am just planning on taking care of a few more things in the process. I don't think that they will cover re-shingling my entire roof, but there is enough up there that it may get close if I do it myself. Plus, the chances of more winds exceeding 75mph are nearly certain.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When my parents got a ridge vent installed in our old house it kept it alot cooler during the summer and didn't need the attic fan anymore
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA