Options

Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 - Release Date?

FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Do you know the expected release date for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012?

How soon can we get the certification?

Comments

• Options
    FirecellFirecell Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have researched articles online, which display an expected release date in 2012.

Is anyone concerned about studying and becoming certified in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, with new versions on the horizon?
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I had to make a WILD GUESS just like all the articles your reading are doing, I would guess windows 8 being released 4Q 2012 or 1Q 2013 and I would guess "2012" releasing between 2Q and 4Q 2013. Nothing is in beta yet so you shouldn't worry that far ahead.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Firecell wrote: »
    I have researched articles online, which display an expected release date in 2012.

Is anyone concerned about studying and becoming certified in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008, with new versions on the horizon?

Prison makes good points. Also, there will always be something on the horizon as the next big thing, but companies will usually stick with the current version for several years. People studying for Windows XP years ago could have abandoned their studies when Windows Vista was being announced. As it turned out, most companies stayed with Windows XP until Windows 7 came out. While Microsoft will certainly want a mass migration to Windows 8, it may not happen.

All that said, even if Windows 8 comes out in mid-2012, you probably won't see any resources to study for certification until late 2012 or even 2013. At this point, certifications for Windows 8 hasn't even been released.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Daily Tweets
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just wanted to add a little to what has already been said:

1. Many people on this forum out too much weight on having the latest certifications and usually it just does not matter. I mean in 2013 an MCITP SA on Server 2008 will likely still hold weight. Exams for "Version Next" will likely not even be available until 6 months after the release.
    2. If you study hard for the current versions of the MCITP and then learn the new features of Windows Server 8 you should be able to easily pass the new versions of the MCITP either when the certification exams are in beta or soon after.

Taking beta exams can be very fun and challenging. Granted, not everyone can take the test in beta but it's a good way to earn your stripes and help give back to the testing community.