HOLD FAST on veeam purchases

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey guys,
I do like veeam a lot but I bought the replication software and have had some major issues with. They say version 6 will fix a lot of bugs..so be ware I would ask them to do a trial on the full version 6..I Have had major issues. They say they are aware. And I am going to give them a chance in version 6 but please do yourself a favor dothe trial version of their replication so you dont end up redoing your datacenter copies over and over like I have. There is no fix for corrupt replicas..so wait till version 6 and then do a test with your stuff and see with out purchasing first..stuff that cast that much should work out of box..
I use their other vm stuff and it is good but the replicator is having issues that I cannot rely on in a production environment..icon_redface.gif

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We switched from vRanger to Veeam to handle our backup and replication (at least until we get a real SAN). I probably ran into a lot of the problems you've ran into. The replication 5.0 does have a lot of limitations.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are looking for software to do replication, take a look at Double Take... it has been around a longtime, predating VMware. They have replication down.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    powerfool wrote: »
    If you are looking for software to do replication, take a look at Double Take... it has been around a longtime, predating VMware. They have replication down.

+1, used Double Take for years to replicate a SAN over fiber to another SAN miles away. Good stuff.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not impressed with Veeam
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I'm not impressed with Veeam

I am in a few ways, but their support sucks .....
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 on support....thanks for the tip on Double Take. I am hoping version 6 of veeam works like they say. I was yelling at veeam for making stuff
    that is not reliable. I give them one more chance on their software upgrade to version 6 and if it bombs and I have to constantly redo my vm datacenters over and over like I have been it is gone..some of their stuff is good. but I am sure they are worried about their software..I would be
    but I would have to do 30 day trial with veeam on your network first if you can to see if it works decent...thanks guys for replication tip..
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    +1, used Double Take for years to replicate a SAN over fiber to another SAN miles away. Good stuff.
    Double Take is great. I would assume price would also be a factor. Veeam is pretty cheap (considering). Not sure how much Double Take costs.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    vCole wrote: »
    Double Take is great. I would assume price would also be a factor. Veeam is pretty cheap (considering). Not sure how much Double Take costs.

Much, much more expensive. The cost to cover our deployment was ~$150k.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dave330i wrote: »
    Much, much more expensive. The cost to cover our deployment was ~$150k.

I guess that's my point. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. icon_thumright.gif
    vCole wrote: »
    I guess that's my point. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. icon_thumright.gif

True, however, whatever you pay for a product, it should work as advertised. Had a few bugs with Veeamm which just didn't work at all, which made clear that QA doesn't exist or is pretty bad. Haven't said that, you get that with every program. I sometimes feel like a beta tester for VMware when I check my SR history and the resulting patches (even worse when using vcloud director).
  • CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    If you are not liking Veeam check out another product called - AppAssure. Competitor with the Veeam/vRanger crowd but they do both Virtual & Physical servers - VMware & Hyper-V.

I had a demo of this software and we are signing up as partners. It actually restored an Exchange server including all data folders and mounted the databases again in 2 minutes!! That is amazing as well as the recovery capabilities down to a single email.

Anyway just another product if you feel like looking - www.appassure.com
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
    awesome dude I will try appsure!!!!!!!!thank you...and veeam was for me 1600 per license I guess that is cheap? huh?
    Veeam is silly cheap when you sign up as partner. The interesting thing is, they don't have the infrastructure to provide SPLA licensing yet. Neither from the license file side nor the billing side. We have a contract with them where we pay per VM rather than per socket. Due to the lack or internal system they had to provide us with a silly amount of socket licenses yet they charge us per VM.

Funny company that is :)
  • changlinnchanglinn Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How about Vmwares Site recovery manager (SRM), I had a play at vforum and it looks pretty damn good, does replication and if you wish automated failover. How to Buy VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager for Business Continuity $5k for standard according to the aformentioned page.
    A+, C|EH, CISSP, CISM, CRISC, GSTRT, MCSA:Messaging, MCSE:Security
    "Brain does not meet certification requirements, please install more certifications" Me
    Currently Studying: Cyber Security masters and ISC2 CCSP.
    Security blog; http://security.morganstorey.com
    changlinn wrote: »
    How about Vmwares Site recovery manager (SRM), I had a play at vforum and it looks pretty damn good, does replication and if you wish automated failover. How to Buy VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager for Business Continuity $5k for standard according to the aformentioned page.

Thats $200 per VM without ANY support etc. - way too expensive for what it does.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Thats $200 per VM without ANY support etc. - way too expensive for what it does.

Until that first time you need to use it. Then it pays for itself.. especially if you are subject to FFEIC audits (or other governance/compliance requirements) icon_smile.gif

FWIW I've done my fair share of installations on Double Take, Veam, and VMware SRM. Which ones best? That's up to your Business Requirements and budget!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    down77 wrote: »
    Which ones best? That's up to your Business Requirements and budget!

That is the icing on the cake exactly, the former normally dictating the latter :)
    I am sending veeam back. It doesn't work well on our network. Maybe there new version will work better
    but I am getting my money back. Great bunch of guys but software is funked! for us that is. They have many clients not sure why it doesn't work well we have a simple setup. We had to pull the plug due to so many bugs and redoing vms all the time. I do not have to to debug programs all day long. I actually work. haaha
    but will be trying appassure soon I hope or that other one you guys suggested..I am going to demo the crap out the next ones for sure. veeam's other software works great...kind of bummed wanted veeam to work..
    next vendor....
  • digg1980digg1980 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Veeam 7 Seems to have a ton of new features & 6 has been working well for us for a while now. I am looking forward for the backup to tape capabilities. Check out Veeam 7 Features Interview Which shows an interview of the new features of Veeam 7 by one of the bloggers at Virtualization Team blog

Enjoy,
    Erick
  • burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    I would highly suggest checking out VMTurbo.
    thanks burfect will do thanks ;) using appasure right now 5.3 and it seems good ;0 I will report later my finds once it is synce tobot Primary and secondary host systems the proof is in the pudding man! got to see it to believe it in IT ;0