Options

Group Policy Question??

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I need to search all our workstations for any employee who is in the Local Administrators Group and if they are to take them out and move them to the Power Users Group. Can this be done using GPP?

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I know you can add users to the local admin via gpo using the restricted groups setting, but I don't think you can remove specific users. Your best bet would probably be a startup script.
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I know you can add users to the local admin via gpo using the restricted groups setting, but I don't think you can remove specific users. Your best bet would probably be a startup script.

Yes, you can add or remove users using Group Policy Preferences. I am looking into wether you can use an LDAP query with GPP to search all workstations and if a user is a memeber of the Local Admin group to remove them and add them to the Power users group.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Ah, sorry, misread the post. I still think a startup script is the best option.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    You could probably do it relatively easy with powershell. That's what I would look into.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    You could use a restricted groups setting to enforce 1)Administrators group only consists of a list of users, or 2) certain users are always members of the Administrators group. It could help you make the Administrators group standardized and remove the users that you do not want to be in there, but I don't know of a way in Restricted Groups or GPP to make the primary user of that computer be in the Power Users group, other than, of course the start up script already mentioned.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...