Options

Can you please review my resume, and provide advice for improvements?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
Can you please review my resume, and provide advice for improvements? I’m trying to get an entry level help desk / support job. I have gotten interviews in the past, but no offers. In September and October of this year, I haven’t gotten any interviews, and I’m wondering If I’m doing something wrong? Ever since I finished school I got at least one interview per month, if not more.
Here’s some background on my resume:

It used to be one page, but I made it longer to add my voluntary experience. A recruiter said I should have all my volunteer experience on there.

I don’t have any IT experience, except for volunteering and the certs I earned.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

I change the objective each time I apply to a different job.

My Sample Resume(1).doc
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Everyone has a different opinion on these but heres my take:
    • Replace objective section with a summary
    • Increase margins to get to fit on one page (there's a lot of whitespace in the top sections that may be removable)
    • Place education section at bottom
    • May be relevant to place volunteer experience at top
    • Make sure all sections are formatted the same way, improves readability IMO
    Maybe fancy up the fonts or add a little flare to the different sections to make it pop out more. Otherwise it looks like a good resume.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree change objective section to a summary and speak about yourself. You're applying for a helpdesk job so I think the assumption is you are trying to get a job in IT. When I say speak about yourself, I mean in terms of what would make you a great employee. Something to the effect of:

Dedicated employee who gives 110% in any assigned task. Detail oriented and always willing to go the extra mile to accomplish task and meet deadline requirements. Works well in a team, but can be assigned an individual task and see it to completion. Passionate about technology and the pursuit of knowledge.

Don't put anything not true and make sure that the summary reflect who you are as a person. I always put my education at the top as I didn't have a lot of experience. I don't like the sound of professional development (that might just be me), so I would break that into two sections: certifications and professional memberships. For computer experience, I would change that to skills and I would list a lot more. I would put that you have some form of troubleshooting skills in the software and hardware (assuming that they are skills you have). Any technology that you touch and know how to use should be listed in skills. One company I interviewed for was switching ticketing systems and I happen to ask what they were going to. Oddly enough they were switching to the system we switched too the year before. They were very excited to have someone on staff who knew anything about it.

Your resume is pretty good overall and the fact is you have a solid work history (stayed at each place a long time) which is something employers love. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff