Options

How do you get an entry level help desk, or support job in MN?

NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
How do you get an entry level help desk, or support job in MN? I have gotten interviews, but no offers. Currently, I work in printing, but there isn’t much customer service involved in that job.

I would be willing to work contract to hire

Here is a list what I have been trying:
 I have an A.A.S. degree in information technology
 Comp TIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certified
 I’m a Certified Help Desk Institute-Customer Service Representative
 I’m studying for my Windows 7 exam, and the ITILv3 foundations exam.
 I have my resume posted on career builder, Monster,Dice, and Jobs Indeed.
 I have been constantly upgrading and updating my resume and cover letter.
 I have attended career fairs. (These aren’t that helpful)
 I volunteered in the past and I currently volunteer using my IT skills.
 Posted my resume on Tech Exam Forums for review and advice
 Being more active with linked in, and trying to grow my linked in account
 Human networking( the volunteer manager, at the organization I volunteer for said he would give me contacts and forward my resume)

Here’s what I’m going to do:

Join Toast Masters-I heard this helps with interviewing and people skills

go to advance IT events- What's Coming Up at Advance IT Minnesota | Advance IT Minnesota

Try to network more in person, vs networking on line.

What I can’t do right now:

Move to another state-My girlfriend would need to find a job first in said state before we could move.

Contract permanent possible-I have a few recruiters tell me they have a job for me, but it’s only 4 months. So after those 4 months, you don’t have a job? I’m not sure what the perm possible is.

Get a 4 year degree-I promised my girlfriend I would find a IT job first before taking on more schooling or debt. Also, I went to a non regionally accredited school, so it’s hard to find a school that will take those credits.

I’m open to any advice at all.

Note-Is there a hands on help desk training course, with live instructors?
When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
American inventor

Comments

• Options
    unclericounclerico Member Posts: 237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man, I'd love to have you in for an interview, but unfortunately HR is dragging its collective feet to get things in motion. I will most definitely keep you in mind for when/if this gets going. I like to give new people a chance to prove themselves and help them get a start on their careers...nothing more satisfying IMHO...
    Preparing for CCIE Written
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    I would concentrate on additional certifications. Maybe that is the reason, why you are being passed over by employers.

What do you think about the following certs?

MCDST - Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician

MCITP - Windows 7 & Enterprise Desktop Support Technician
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of companies won't look at you if you don't have a bachelors degree in a related field.

Keyword a lot not all.

The last 2 companies I worked for wouldn't look at you if you didn't have a bachelors however the one before those two could careless. Infact the owner of the company didn't have a bachelors. She would throw jabs at people with MBA's etc.

Are you not getting any interviews? It might be worth your time to have a professional resume writer take a crack at your resume. A friend of mine who was let go recently struggled for months to find a job. One day he went online and found a company who would rewrite your resume. I mean these people were thorough. They asked 50 questions and then some. They had him fill out these templates and paste jobs he was seeking into Word documents. I believe he told me the whole process took 2 weeks. But once he got that resume back he started updating all the job board etc and found a job in the next 2 weeks. Coincidence I suppose.
  • Options
    I would concentrate on additional certifications. Maybe that is the reason, why you are being passed over by employers.

MCDST is not among the living anymore.

The MCITP Win 7 EDST is a solid help desk certification and deskside, but at this point it sounds like he is looking to reap not sow.
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pure luck it seems.
    Bachelors (unrelated field) + A+ + Volunteer at Goodwill (refurbishing computers) = one call from a recruiter in the past two months of applying. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    XiaoTech wrote: »
    Pure luck it seems.
    Bachelors (unrelated field) + A+ + Volunteer at Goodwill (refurbishing computers) = one call from a recruiter in the past two months of applying. icon_sad.gif

Bachelors in an unrelated field can hurt. I've seen a lot of jobs asking for either business or IT degree. Sociology or Political Science sometimes won't cut it.

One time during an interview I was asked at the end what IT discipline my bachelors was in. I assume they meant CIS, CS, MIS, etc. I said it wasn't IT related and she just had this look like [OH]. I knew my day was done at that point. The best part was on my resume and on the online application I never said it was an IT degree.

I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but from my small view point it's becoming more and more sought after.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Look on craigslist for jobs. There's tons there. Keep going. You aren't the only person applying for work, so don't always think you're doing something wrong because you aren't hired every time.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Just PM'ed you. I got a contract job available ASAP that I can have you on this week.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you are getting interviews then qualifications probably aren't much of an issue. They obviously think you are worthy of the job after reading your resume or they wouldn't bring you in. I'd start working to improve your interviewing skills. Once you get in front of them really sell yourself!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    N2IT wrote: »
    Bachelors in an unrelated field can hurt. I've seen a lot of jobs asking for either business or IT degree. Sociology or Political Science sometimes won't cut it.

I partially agree with you here--but regardless of what B.S. you end up with, it's very important to spin it in a positive light IMHO

Ex: I finished in General Studies which is composed of 3 minors (long story, thank you hurricane Katrina...)--English, Sociology, and Psych. So, when asked about my education, I say "the three concentrations made me an excellent communicator, both written and oral, I have superb documentation skills and have knowledgebase-published articles, and I understand interpersonal relations and possess great raport both inter and intra departmentally."

Or...something like that. I can't remember exactly what I said...but I've earned every job I've interviewed for, so somethings working icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    lsud00d wrote: »
    I partially agree with you here--but regardless of what B.S. you end up with, it's very important to spin it in a positive light IMHO

Ex: I finished in General Studies which is composed of 3 minors (long story, thank you hurricane Katrina...)--English, Sociology, and Psych. So, when asked about my education, I say "the three concentrations made me an excellent communicator, both written and oral, I have superb documentation skills and have knowledgebase-published articles, and I understand interpersonal relations and possess great raport both inter and intra departmentally."

Or...something like that. I can't remember exactly what I said...but I've earned every job I've interviewed for, so somethings working icon_cheers.gif

I agree I have moved up the ladder with a non IT related degree. I am just noticing more and more jobs that I am applying for are asking for related degrees to the field. Maybe because I am taking on higher level positions or maybe it's dumb luck. Who knows? Bottomline it seems to be trending upward from my small perspective.

****Back to the original poster. If he is getting hits and interviews then it's all about the delivery. EG Appearance, Communication, etc.

I just realized he mentioned something about a 4 month contract. That's what you almost have to do now to get a job. If you don't have much experience you should take a contractor job. 3-6 month right to hire is basically a try before you buy. It's a way for the employer to mitigate against the risk of hiring an employee who doesn't deliver. After the contract is up they can basically say thanks for your efforts take care. Or on the flip side they can bring you aboard as a FTE. It's good practice by setting expectations.
  • Options
    How do you get an entry level help desk, or support job in MN? I have gotten interviews, but no offers. Currently, I work in printing, but there isn’t much customer service involved in that job.

I would be willing to work contract to hire

Here is a list what I have been trying:
     I have an A.A.S. degree in information technology
     Comp TIA A+, Network+, and Security+ certified
     I’m a Certified Help Desk Institute-Customer Service Representative
     I’m studying for my Windows 7 exam, and the ITILv3 foundations exam.
     I have my resume posted on career builder, Monster,Dice, and Jobs Indeed.
     I have been constantly upgrading and updating my resume and cover letter.
     I have attended career fairs. (These aren’t that helpful)
     I volunteered in the past and I currently volunteer using my IT skills.
     Posted my resume on Tech Exam Forums for review and advice
     Being more active with linked in, and trying to grow my linked in account
     Human networking( the volunteer manager, at the organization I volunteer for said he would give me contacts and forward my resume)

Here’s what I’m going to do:

Join Toast Masters-I heard this helps with interviewing and people skills

go to advance IT events- What's Coming Up at Advance IT Minnesota | Advance IT Minnesota

Try to network more in person, vs networking on line.

What I can’t do right now:

Move to another state-My girlfriend would need to find a job first in said state before we could move.

Contract permanent possible-I have a few recruiters tell me they have a job for me, but it’s only 4 months. So after those 4 months, you don’t have a job? I’m not sure what the perm possible is.

Get a 4 year degree-I promised my girlfriend I would find a IT job first before taking on more schooling or debt. Also, I went to a non regionally accredited school, so it’s hard to find a school that will take those credits.

I’m open to any advice at all.

Note-Is there a hands on help desk training course, with live instructors?

Thank you for your response and I appreciate the consideration for a possible interveiw.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    unclerico wrote: »
    Man, I'd love to have you in for an interview, but unfortunately HR is dragging its collective feet to get things in motion. I will most definitely keep you in mind for when/if this gets going. I like to give new people a chance to prove themselves and help them get a start on their careers...nothing more satisfying IMHO...
    I qouted myself by accident opps

Thank you for your response and I appreciate the consideration for a possible interveiw.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options

Well my it’s cliché to say this, but certifications aren’t a Silver bullet. Yes, they help get you noticed, but without experience to back them up, you will mostly get a “Well that’s nice you got a certification in X,Y,Z.”, at least this has been my experience. I did have one interview were the hiring manager, who just became a network administrator told me one of the reasons they selected me for interview was because of my A+ certification.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot of it is just getting lucky. I interviewed at 4 or 5 places before being given an offer, and I think times were better back then. Have you worked with a recruiter yet?

I'm going to send you a PM to discuss some specifics.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »

One time during an interview I was asked at the end what IT discipline my bachelors was in. I assume they meant CIS, CS, MIS, etc. I said it wasn't IT related and she just had this look like [OH]. I knew my day was done at that point. The best part was on my resume and on the online application I never said it was an IT degree.

I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but from my small view point it's becoming more and more sought after.

Someday someday…..I do see a lot of jobs requiring a bachelors degree. I attended a for profit college, so I have limited options on where I can transfer my credits, I posted their agreements below
    Articulation agreements
    ABC college has articulation agreements with the following schools:
    • Brown College, Minneapolis, Minnesota
    • Waldorf College, Forest City, Iowa
    • ITT Technical Institute, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    • Kaplan
    • Colorado Technical University
    Articulation agreements indicate that a student can take credits earned at ABC college and be eligible for credits at one of the institutions listed above.
    Beyond the transfer agreements, I could start fresh and get another an AAS degree at a Regionally accredited college and transfer to a 4 year college. I guess my biggest fear is taking on more debt. For profit colleges charge full price tuition. They don’t get subsidized at all, so the classes are about $400-$600 per credit.
    A friend on TE has told me to apply to any jobs that require 2 or more years of experience. Having more education doesn’t ever hurt, in fact I think an Associate’s degree will be expected in most professions, because of the economic times.
    I think I’m going to look for some resume writers today. Thank you for the advice. Do you know of the one your friend used?

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Look on craigslist for jobs. There's tons there. Keep going. You aren't the only person applying for work, so don't always think you're doing something wrong because you aren't hired every time.

Good point, I have check Craigs List daily, and I have applied to sever al Craigs List jobs. I have gotten more interviews from Craigs List, than any other job board or website. I think it’s because of a small job pool, but I could be wrong. I think being persistent and professional is the key.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Have you contacted any close school districts, or higher education institutions? They can be good launch pads.
  • Options
    If you are getting interviews then qualifications probably aren't much of an issue. They obviously think you are worthy of the job after reading your resume or they wouldn't bring you in. I'd start working to improve your interviewing skills. Once you get in front of them really sell yourself!

Makes sense, I’m attending a Toast Masters session tonight. I’m not thrilled about public speaking, but I believe it will help me be a better communicator on the job, in public, and during interviews.

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in a similar situation as you, as far as having the same certs and going to the same type of positions in the same state (not sure if you are in the Twin Cities). I've been looking for IT jobs for about 6 months now, and have had only a few phone interviews and even less physical interviews (all with recruiters). I even tried applying to small computer shops that pay only $8 an hour and still can't get hired there. I've almost given up hope and I have been searching for non-IT related jobs in the past month, because I really need the money. I still apply for IT jobs, but I don't think it matters at this point. Not having a bachelors degree (or even an associates, although I completed 2 years of college credits) hurts a lot. If it is this hard to find a basic job like help desk or any other entry level IT job, I can't imagine what it's like for the higher level positions.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    I also live in MN, but from what I can tell, there's a lot of jobs out there, you just have to keep looking. Have you tried using craigslist? That's probably the best place to find entry level position in MN. A lot of small/midsize companies post there, looking for help desk type position all the time.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I also live in MN, but from what I can tell, there's a lot of jobs out there, you just have to keep looking. Have you tried using craigslist? That's probably the best place to find entry level position in MN. A lot of small/midsize companies post there, looking for help desk type position all the time.

Thats probably the best advice. I found my current job through there and its a badass job. I remember going to craiglist everyday to apply for jobs and I remember seeing about 10-15 jobs a day. I had the most success using craigslist BY FAR.
  • Options
    CenturionMarioCenturionMario Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□

Are you sure? I use Craigslist almost everyday (as well as about 20+ other job sites), all I had were a few phone interviews. I don't think MN is a good state for finding jobs, as far as entry level positions go (mid-level and up, though, it is one of the best).
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    If you used 20+ different job sites, and only landed a few phone interview, then I would start looking at the resume. I don't know how MN compared to other states, but I've never had a problem finding a job in MN, whether it was a help desk, system administrator, or network administrator job.